Are the dev's doing anything to bring back there old subscriber base?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kamapoipoi, Sep 10, 2019.

1. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure someone has asked before, but why can't we have a "dislike" reaction to posts instead of just a "like"?

:p
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Snikkety like this.
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

I stopped buying live expacs with KA and the grind to get the ascensions x4 to get the tome. The same twelve zones per day, every day, for months on end - and that was including a single level 5 panda boost - made me despise the game. I could have stopped at any time, but it was the only thing to do because the content itself lasted only a few days and the epic was doing all old quests/faction grinds. I won't ever buy the new stuff unless they change direction with all the gimmicks and how they've limited leveling options to solo signature line.

I have been playing on the TLEs and the biggest problem there is also itemization, and lack of dedicated person working on that server only. (The second biggest problem is DoF lasting so.very.long.)

I will suggest again, TLE server releasing all 1-70 content (SL-EoF plus Unrest) at once and removing all blue stats from armor, making AAs and procs a big deal again. Go with four months per from that point on.
  3. Thand Well-Known Member

The biggest problem and why i do no play alst really any more is the Time/Money it would take to rank up all you individual assention spells. Assentiosn are like 60 to 70 percent of a lot of classes Dps now and it takes around 54 days per tier after expert, except for maybe assassins without all you assentions leveled a Dps wil never be able to compete.
  4. Bella222 Active Member

All they have to do is make a Rogue a Rogue again. And a Fighter a Fighter. We don't all need to be mages with 3 second cast bars hurling giant meteors and frozen boulders everywhere.

If they kick Ascensions, a good portion of the people who liked pre-Ascension class design would be willing to return.[/quote]

I agree. I love playing my lower level characters. Ascensions are so boring. Paladins and shadowknights were so much fun to play.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  5. Obano Well-Known Member

I am one those old players who did come back after quite a long break of 6 years.

So you don't like it when people come back to Eq2 unless they happen to agree with your specific vision of what the game should be. Got it.

I tend to see Eq2 as a big tent MMO that appeals to many different types of players and play styles. So whatever floats your boat go for it. You are just going to have to accept that some people actually like the ascensions and high damage numbers.
  6. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

looking at all the above posts , I see that like me ,a lot of people would love to see something of a clean sweep reset back to this game being a fantasy break from the real world .
    Keeping track of every number via. ACT or similar programs is far too much like counting out a cash drawer at the end of a shift or paying bills at the end of the month. no fun there... what I'd tell my kids is that's why one is spelled F U N and the other is spelled W O R K ..
    It would indeed be nice if they could remove or at least re-calibrate all the stats they added as sales incentives for the previous expansions , needing critical chance was added at alter of malice making it impossible to play the new zone effectively unless you had the new zone gear, every expansion has brought a new stat to make players change out gear with each expansion ( and to pick on each other over) , some times having to trade off all other stats to get the stat of the day.
    It is my guess and its ONLY a guess is one of the reasons for this is that if a player buys the expansion they can go to the zone and attempt to play it even if they are otherwise free to play .. I may wrong on that . But I thought I saw someplace where a free to play player asked about that and received the answer that if they bought it they could 'play ' it ... sort of given the gear restrictions on the f2p player.
    Have to say what I'm currently liking about the tle server (kaladim) is the lack of adornments first , and all the add on stuff you have to chase down to get that must have item .
    I'm also loving that other players , play .. they don't stand around spamming for the "perfectly geared ' player , just being in the right level range and willing works .. and I've rarely been in a group that failed to win the instance or fight , despite the whole bunch of us being under geared or the wrong classes for the group make up. ... perhaps some food for thought there .
  7. Majestic Member

I heard DB is working on three new games. Can anyone confirm this? If so everything they do now makes sense. How so?

Well let see... we all know that lots of MMOers got their eyes on AoC and CoE and waiting for those to come out... I think DB knows that and they are purposely in a way sabotaging the EQII by going against what players want so by the time AoC and CoE hit the floor people playing EQII leave on their own without DB having to answer to anyone. Meanwhile they are working on new games hoping to launch those as AoC and CoE hit the floor to kind of keep their share holders happy.

However, if I was DB, I’d concentrate on fixing this game instead of making three new games. The left over that Sony left behind through EQ franchise is still a solid base if only DB works on their ill-fated vision, strategy and philosophy. What's really destroying this game? The enforced scripts, among others mentioned already by others..
    Cyrrena likes this.
  8. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

just busting your gonads Obano. Sure, some people like ascensions and parsing in the trillions, im just not one of them. But to each their own my friend. But if you were in an auditorium full of EQ2 players and the crowd was asked to raise their hands if they like ascensions...you might look around with your hand held high saying "really?! no one else??"
  9. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

nope....has nothing to do with people coming back to the game that dont share my ideas. Just don't believe for a second that the only reason you stayed after your pvp stint was because of ascensions and the crazy parse numbers. Sorry, can i say that? since it doesn't fit your specific vision of what the game is i thought i should ask.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Obano Well-Known Member

You can say anything you want but didn't we have this same argument back in June? I didn't address your post specifically but this isn't the first time I stood up in defense of the ascension system. I think this quote is relevant to the present discussion.

But anyway I really do like the ascension system. I always kind of wanted my Bruiser to be able to shoot fire balls and lightning bolts. To me it just makes sense. Mages aren't the only ones who can master planar energy.

Martial artists throwing fire balls has been a video game trope since classic arcade games like "street fighter." I am old enough to remember those old games swallowing more than a few rolls of quarters back in the day. This was my childhood. It kind of blows my mind that it actually happened and they put this kind of thing in Eq2. Now I just have to change my signature to include my ascension class and make it look something like this.

[IMG]
    Avithax and ConcealFate like this.
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You know me Bucket, I just click the like and then reply that the like is that I like that they took the time to post but that I disagree with them.
    ConcealFate, Breanna and Spindle like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Perhaps we are onto something here Bucket. They have TLEs for people that like as close to an original experience as they are willing to give us, which is not close enough in my opinion.

Why not offer an NAE for people like Obano that like the current mechanics. What is an NAE you ask? Why an NAE is a New Age Experience of course. And the players that like the current mechanics would be given an account transfer token so all of their characters could be transferred to the NAE.

The other servers that exist, AB, MD, HoF, IoR, et al, would return to normal mechanics, no ascensions, no numbers in the trillions, etc.

Hmmm? Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.
    ConcealFate and Breanna like this.
  13. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I think it should be the other way around. The folks that play on live servers are are fine with how the game is (obviously(?) not 100% fine, but fine enough to continue) should be the ones to stay.

The ones that aren't happy, want a change or don't necessarily embrace TLEs, should be the ones to be offered a new server to fit their needs.

It's an interesting topic with many variables. Not the least being that when folks aren't happy with a game it really is OK to take breaks, play other games and/or move on.

(quoted your post because you brought an interesting point about transfers and who should be moving. This is a hypothetical so gave me pause when I read your answer :) )
    Juraiya, Cyrrena and Obano like this.
  14. Obano Well-Known Member

It is an interesting proposal. I will give you that. Essentially what you are asking for is a TLE experience with simplified mechanics but at high levels. Most players would consider this to be the easy mode server since TLE is generally a lot easier than live. Low damage numbers would go along with trivialized content so mobs can be killed without the ascensions. It probably wouldn't be too difficult in terms of developer time to disable ascensions and then scale back the numbers a few decimal places. It's doubtful they would remove content or make any radical changes to the existing servers though.

As Xianthia mentioned people who play on live generally like the game and don't want to rock the boat too much. The existing live servers would keep ascensions and Cyrrena's proposal with simplified mechanics would be the new server. Who knows maybe it will bring people back to the game which is always a good thing.

Perhaps you should a create thread about this proposal so the idea can be fleshed out in greater detail.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

16. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

not sure they would support another server with an IoR population.... :D
    Juraiya and Cyrrena like this.
  17. Ruckus Well-Known Member

Another question that needs to be asked is: what are they doing to RETAIN their CURRENT subscriber base?

We have ~2 months until the next expansion is supposed to launch, and we've heard next to nothing about what is going on, other than level 120. We get handed a souped up rework of old content (KD) and a subpar raid zone of a Castle that nobody really embraced.
    ConcealFate, Rhodris and Avithax like this.
  18. Avithax Well-Known Member

Ascensions aren't the main issue. The issue is that the Ferengi at DB made them a cash cow requirement to raiders who want to level them in any kind of reasonable time frame.
    Juraiya likes this.
  19. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Personally I have never complained about Ascensions. But I can say that I have probably lost at least 6 months of my life reading threads from people complaining about Ascensions, how long it takes to level them or how they have to pay money to level them if they want to be uber right away, how a ton of their guildies and friends quit because of Ascensions, how Ascensions made every class a mage, so on and so forth.

So why now people are kind of implying, not pointing fingers here, that I am the first one to mention an issue with Ascensions is ludicrous. I just put it out there in a blunt as a spoon post in the form of moving all of the complaint generating mechanics to a single server similar to a TLE but calling it an NAE.

You can search my post history if you wish, and you will not find any posts where I have complained about Ascensions.
    Breanna, Raff, ConcealFate and 2 others like this.
  20. Leloes Well-Known Member

Some of this complaining reminds me of a place I used to live.....any old lady got on the elevator then an old man boarded it and somewhere between floors he passed gas....the old lady ran to the managers office and wanted notices put up about no passing gas in the elevator immediately.....didn't happen but still.......:rolleyes:
    Breanna, ConcealFate and Cyrrena like this.