Are resists ever going to actually work again?

Discussion in 'PVP Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Orthureon, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

I am just curious if this very important aspect of the game will actually be fixed?
    I haven't resisted a spell in so long it is silly. How can something that has that much of an impact on PVP gameplay be overlooked for so long? Heck even if they simply reduced incoming spell damage it would be nice, but they don't do anything.
    I used to have gear just for fighitng casters.
  2. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Occording to the tooltip stamina increases the chance to outright resist a spell.
    However, it was confirmed in PM's with our dev that this is not true and the tool-tip is wrong.
    Good luck on this one.
  3. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

So a dev acknowledged it, yet it remains broken even though this seems like something that would be an urgent fix, and not too complicated to achieve. They already had wisdom as the primary stat that determined outright resists, how can it be that complex to change it to the stamina stat???
  4. ARCHIVED-Sasquatch Guest

If it does get fixed and you want to resist something you would have to roll a healer or maybe a mage then in order to get wisdom now. Since every class is dumbed down to 2 main stats and one of them being sta which ever class needs your are unable to achieve that so it would to sta that increases resist. But I miss when ever state benefited us in a way so everyone was unique.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Sasquatch wrote:
    Dude, open your character window, hover over stamina, read the text.
  6. ARCHIVED-Astornoth Guest

I sometimes got resist when I can group tount.It happens rather rearly but still ,the same when my tank made swings on other fighter in def stance.I almost never miises,bah even using arrows with -10% acc.Another word I thik resists got sacraficed as misses in new atempt of seeking balance.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Actually, looking at my parses, the only people resisting spell casts are other mages. There was a post about this a month or so ago.
    Whatever the resist check is working off of, its clearly not published, and I doubt its working as intended.
  8. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

Astornoth wrote:
    Being in defensive stance doesn't mean that much, it only lowers you weapon skills by like 40, which can easily be overcompensated for by adornments. Or if you are a Warrior type, you can spec into it with AA. Besides a lot of tanks are silly and fight in BGs in offensive stance. And most wonder why the get owned so easily.
  9. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

Ulrichvon wrote:
    The last rumor I heard stated that the Disruption skill was checked for resists, but if that were the case my SK would resist stuff all the time.
  10. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Orthureon wrote:
    Yeah, this was just a wild guess that seemed to answer why casters sometimes resist and no one else does, but i agree, I don't think that is actually what is happening.
    It is a cunundrum, one that our dev is not interested in providing an answer to. Which makes me suspect my orriginal hypothesis is correct, its simply not working as intended.
  11. ARCHIVED-Exilon Guest

Ulrichvon wrote:
    Of course it is not working as intended, I think most people realize that. Including them, but for some reason they do not view it as a priority fix. Ah well they have dumbed down the game enough already, I guess removing resists in PVP just goes one step further.
  12. ARCHIVED-latesttoon Guest

if they do fix resists, some groups with 2 healers will be unkillable.. and fights will last as long as someone goes LD.
    They should just stop low lvl items working in high lvl pvp.. example.. lvl 43 fear/stifle proc gear.
    also... Adding randomness like lots of resists means less player influenced wins/losses.. you then may aswell have all the CC and other Proc gear working if you want randomness...
  13. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

latesttoon wrote:
    Healers are nearly invincible as it stands, adding resists will only help serve the other classes more.
    On my Ranger when I get hit with every single spell someone casts - WITHOUT A CHANCE TO RESIST IT - and I miss a clothie (or they dodge) I get peeved. Especially when I have 25% PVP strikethrough and accuracy, with around 690 in my weaponskills. Also, using gracelessness poison. on top of leading off with Snipe then Crippling Shot; total of around 150 defense reduction for the three.
    I invest all this money and time into buying poisons, arrows with hit chance, reforging, and weaponry adornments so I can just do my job. Which is to DPS, but all this money is spent to prevent me missing every third CA on cloth wearing classes.
  14. ARCHIVED-latesttoon Guest

Orthureon wrote:
    i know what you are saying.. maybe vs a mage with a melee you are missing some hits but they are hitting all... (although your CA's shouldnt miss much)..
    but.. what i am saying, is that if healers are "almost invincible now" as you say.. then adding resists to mages will make the healers even more invincible..
    fighting a shaman + cleric/druid in a stacked group with a good tank is hard enough without resists. With resists, 2 evenly stacked groups would never kill each other.
  15. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

latesttoon wrote:
    The issue is for tanks, there is jack all they can do to take less spell damage. And since mitigating damage is one of their core compendencies, the lack of a resist mechanic is infuriating at best.
  16. ARCHIVED-Davngr1 Guest

they need to just implement a new stat called spell defense or something because using stamina or any stat of that sort will be almost impossible to balance since there is such a large spectrum of stats to be had by different play style of players. i bet if this stat was fixed to work as intended in it's current version trying to kill some players would sound like a hand full of coins hitting a metal surface :)
  17. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

Ulrichvon wrote:
    Yes very good point. on my Shadowknight I can hold my own against other melee classes and T1 scouts. But as soon as a spell caster comes along I am pretty much dead, especially a Warlock or Wizard with Manashield. Well unless I am lucky and have all my survival temps up. IE Crusader's faith, Death March, Legionnaire's Conviction, Divine Aura and Shadowknight's Furor (for increased damage output). And chain my knockbacks together, then it is still a game of me praying that I can interrupt them enough and hope their Manashield is down. Other casters I have a slightly better chance.
  18. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

Davngr1 wrote:
    Lol... Well perhaps work it another way. allow resists to absorb spell damage like they state they are supposed to when you hover over them, but lower the amount absorbed for PVP. Then add a spell defense stat like you say. Then people will have to actually spec for it to survive against casters. That way no one will be outright overpowered vs casters. I don't want to switch the spectrum of OP to another class, I simply want balance.
  19. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Orthureon wrote:
    Heh of all my fighters, my SK is most equiped to survive a caster, and even then its not so awesome most of the time. Try it on dare I say a guard. But yes, tanks only being 'tanky' to physical attacks is in my opinion a big 'gap' in eq2 pvp.
  20. ARCHIVED-Orthureon Guest

Ulrichvon wrote:
    Well when I was a Paladin it was quite a bit easier, though it still required a ton of luck...and curing. With the cure it could cut the dps down and remove Storming Tempest (which is completely op), coupled with 30% damage reduction from Devout Sacrament and 20% from Legionnaire's Conviction. And large heals. I think they are truly the only tanks equipped to at the very least survive a surprise attack from a caster.