Are Monks as avoidance oriented as implied by the dev's?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt Guest

***I would love to see someone explain why Monks get hit more than Guardians***

I guess we aren't as avoidance oriented as is implied!
    I feel the dev's owe us an answer.

From what I am seeing Guardians, Berserkers and Pally's are all showing 50-70% avoidance and mitigate roughly 50% of all dmg. And the Guardians have insane buff's for their defense skill.

Dev's you nerf the bard classes so when are you gonna nerf the guardians?

Is it to much to get our deflection working? Is it not enough we take double the dmg that guardians do and yet get hit more cause we can not buff our defense skill which seems to effect avoidance more than anything.
  2. ARCHIVED-SageMarrow Guest

between that fact and our skill base being not really tanking oriented at all times, does it ever make you stop and wonder what our REAL intended roll was?
    Message Edited by SageMarrow on 03-22-2005 12:38 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-RadricTycho Guest

I am trying to understand how a full line of AoE and single-target taunts, several defensive stances, deflection, and attacks that can largely be used EVEN WHILE STUNNED, makes us not tanking oriented.
    Please explain how these skills are not tanking oriented. Yes I have often wondered what our real intended role was. But usually the developers have made it very clear during those times.
    And to the original poster, we can buff our defense skill, spider stance buffs it by 15. Guardians can just buff it by more than that, that's part of the problem. Coupled with tower shields, massive defense buffs make them pretty impervious. I hate to call nerf on anyone and I won't. But I will say that they seem to avoid better than we. And that is something that should give the developers some concern.
  4. ARCHIVED-SageMarrow Guest

yes ae taunts and things of that nature are good but are underpowered in comparison to those the guardian gets. stone stance is nice as well, but also consider that you cannot taunt while using it... making it very useful for a situation in offtank where you pull a mob off a caster and need to hold it on you until MT can get it off you.

just like our AE tuants, they are weaker than the ones a guardian receives and are great for holding second place in aggro when a guardian is present. i tested it for 5 hours straight tonight against a guardian who was 3 levels below me. no matter how hard i tried, i could not pull aggro off of him, instead i held a consistent 2nd place spamming everything i had, even group buffs.

a taunt that can be used while stunned is more effective when a mob has cast a group mez or mez spell period and the MT cannot get to the mob because he cannot cast the spell. so in turn we get the target on us until the fight can be passed along.

FD is not very good for REALLY avoiding battles, but its great for wiping aggro after a rabid mob aggroes the caster and the MT is preoccupied with 4 other mobs, and you need to get aggro back where it belongs.

and yes the developers have made it clear that we are tanks, but never in what capacity and definately not in comparison to the other tank classes. we tank just fine for the MOST part, but in comparison to an equally geared guardian we pale in comparison as far as aggro control, Hp, and AC.

on behalf of bruisers, i know for a fact that our skills are set up moreso for bodyguard than tank at all. all of our taunts include fears and things that accomodate managing a fight in spite of the MT doing his thing on his end, if a mob gets on a caster, we can fear it (provided it doesnt run into the walls, ) or we can mildly mez it until the MT gets control. we dont have 1 AE taunt without a fear or somn attatched except shout.

now provided the group buffs etc, we both agree that that is not thier intended use, it just happens to work, but on behalf of the guardian i grouped with through the entire adventure pack zone, yes he made my taunting ability look like childs play. he easily pulled aggro from me, even using my strongest taunts.

So yes, we are ambidextrious in our approach, some skills can be used to compete in the core area of tanking, but others are directly for support IMO, and even still some other skills are useful in both situations.

But if you asked me on a personal level if i felt as though we ever meant to be all out tanks on par with guardians in a different way, i would say absolutely not. we were meant to be versatile and able to go either direction. which is in turn is why i say that the devs are being forced to rethink the archetype system...

a shadowknight will never tank as well as a guardian, a monk will never tank as a well as a paladin, and a bruiser will never tank as well as a shadowknight. We have established that any change to a monks deflection and avoidance will more than likely over power the class back to pre agility nerf. If shadowknights are ever given the HP potential of a paladin through lifetaps, they would also be too powerful considering that one takes life to give life and the other simply is power consumption.

just as enchanters will never be able to fill a wizards roll of damage and a dirge cannot truly fill another scouts roll as dps.

so as much as we try to live this dream of equal but different, there can be no such thing and still maintain different classes. That would mean enchanters would have to have the damage capability of a wizard and a monk would have the same tanking ability of a guardian...

Thus leading me back to my point that yes we are and can tank well, but we were not and neither were the other 5 subclasses built to tank exclusively. only 1 class was. the others are by products of the guardian design. different ways to achieve the same result persay... but in actuality - they didnt build the classes around the mobs, they built the mobs around the classes and the changes reflect as such.
  5. ARCHIVED-RadricTycho Guest

Ugh I hate responding like I am about to, but your posts are always so scattered that you leave a responder little choice but to try to address your myriad issues. Especially when you skirt the initial request. The reason every post you make turns into a thread that is 100 freaking pages long is because you cannot focus on one issue at a time. You feel the need to muddy any discussion with 100,000 side issues in an attempt to stave off straightforward logic and reason.
    If you could have a discussion on a single issue at a time, you might actually get somewhere. But I think you, and maybe even gage relish the fact that while you are having your arguments, you dominate the focus of this board and you think that you have everyone's attention. The reality is that the more you bicker about 100,001 minor details and lose focus of the bigger picture, the more you lose your audience.
    People tend to glaze over when they see a thread that is full of both sides responding item by item to everything the other guy said. Especially when it is clear that they care more about winning the argument than having something constructive come of it. These volumes of pedantic bickering and argumentative babble are irritating to most of us, humorous maybe at first, but in the end irritating.
    If you want to discuss multiple unrelated issues, use multiple threads. My original request was: how are AoE taunts, single target taunts, defensive stances and buffs, and attacks while stunned NOT "really tanking oriented" as you put it. And it was actually a rhetorical question, since the only reasonable response is that they are.
    Besides, aren't you a bruiser sage? Why do you keep bringing bruiser experiences to the monk board and using them as proof that monks have the same issues as bruisers. Bruisers and monks have only 3 things in common: light armor, deflection, and brawler-class skills. After that any comparison between the two needs to be done with hard numbers involved. I don't like a bruiser telling monks that they cannot hold agro, since I really don't even know if the two have the same taunts. I don't mind disucssing monks with bruisers, or having discussions about things that the two in common, but I don't buy into the concept of a bruiser having the same experiences with combat arts without some hard, cold facts.
    You are a bruiser right?
  6. ARCHIVED-Velorek Guest

I tend to agree with you. I tried to take a somewhat active role on these boards to help identify issues, concerns, etc of our class with hard and fast data to back them up. But not many seem interested in particpating in constructive stuff like that. They seem to be more interested in the "Tastes Great!", "Less Filling!" arguments that dominate every other thread.
    People complain that our Adept 3s are worthless, yet very few are willing to take the time to post their findings on this.
    People complain they take too much damage, but very few actually parse their fights and post the results.
    There's more but I digress. There are definitely some who I think make a strong effort in these issues but most couldn't care less. It's a shame too because as a community, we could do alot more to help improve our own class.
  7. ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt Guest

There are lots of parse results and lots of posts contain screen shots, maybe you should learn to use the search.

At least Sage tried to address the issue at hand and the one this post is trying to discuss.
  8. ARCHIVED-MoonglumHMV Guest

How exactly did Sage's first post 'address' the issue this post is trying to discuss? Looks like he went straight to the "Monks are 2nd tanks at best" card...he didn't even say anything about avoidance...
  9. ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt Guest

Do you feel we avoid better?

I dont and on Highkeep server can show you that my lvl 44 monk cant tank or solo as good as my guardian friend who is lvl 44 and can solo ^^ two levels below him. I try this and I get ate up alive!! There aint no avoidance its me getting hit alot high damage... and the guardian just stands there and does not get hit and if he does its for low damage.Hell before these patches (where they nerfed AC and our resistances) I actually had him beat in AC cause he would not use a shield and would use his two- handed weapon, I had him beat in agility too. All he had on me besides mitigation was his very high defense skill.

I just dont see monks avoiding. And as light armor wearing fighters we need to avoid! Its what are class is about and I just dont see it happening. :(
    Message Edited by NeVeRLiFt on 03-22-2005 02:14 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

No, we aren't.
    Numerous guardians have posted that most of their buffs increase their defensive skill, which increases their avoidance.
    IIRC they have one self buff that actually raises their mitigation (which is similiar to our stone stance I believe).
    So with defense = avoidance and guardians being the most defensive = who are the avoidance tanks again?
    In fact I found it humorous when I found a guardian saying that "buffing defense to 100% to avoid getting hit entirely" is a common strategy. When we could do that with agility we got nerfed.
    SoE needs to answer us now, because this is BS.
    They have better taunts, better armor, better mitigation, higher HP AND better avoidance?
  11. ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt Guest

There you have it folks!

PS: And if soloing blue con group ^^ monsters two levels below their levels is not proof something is up then I dont know what more you people want. Before the agility nerf monks could do this. Before nerfing the bard classes buff's so they dont stack bards could do this! Now bards and monks cant, and the other scout classes never had a chance in hell at it! This is just way wack.. I see Tyke the lvl 46-47 warlock/wizzard in EF all the time soloing lvl 47-49^^ monsters and that guy Westlake the lvl 50 lives there soloing the lvl 49^^. (is it fair warlocks can solo these? is this class balanced??)
  12. ARCHIVED-Ilina Guest

That was the most true thing I've heard in *all* of these stupid Monk tank threads that never seem to end. No matter what, we will *never* be on the same level as a plate tanker. That's the way it is. If you get lucky with avoidance rolls, and you don't get hit once for a whole eight hour exp party, that'll just mean later, when you're trying to do something like solo a grey badger, (No, I'll never let that go. :p) you'll get waxed.

Ever play a paper and pen RPG? Where you need dice rolls to dodge attacks, and avoid and resist spells? Same principle, folks. There have been times where I've needed a *four* to escape death, and rolled a three with six sided dice.

That is *NOT* a reliable tank. It isn't. It doesn't matter what sort of spin you put on it, it doesn't matter if you never *ever* get hit when you're in your exp parties. The fact that it *can* happen makes it unreliable.

-Ilina
  13. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Some guardian comments about the changes:
    I'm at about 76% self buffed or so, with about 1775 mitigation. I'm not sure what his mitigation is, but I assume its over 2k.
    So my mitigation is about on par with a lvl 38 guardian, which I would be ok with if my avoidance was better by the same amount, unfortunately, it isn't.
    So I have about a ~8% lead in avoidance over Tuna and his mitigation is ~50% better than mine. (estimates).
    Heh. The mitigation I'm fine with, that is *their* niche. 100% avoidance from a guardian seems a little crazy to me though. With stone stance I can reach this level of mitigation though (when grouped with two furies ~ haven't had a lot of time to test yet).
    Which is certainly two things: 1) Overpowered (as was the agility thing) and unbalanced. WE are the avoidance tanks, plate tanks (especially guardians) get BONUSES to mitigation.
    The way defense works right now is not only trivializing content, its blurring the skills that supposedly seperate the classes.
    (Note: I'm only using guardians as my example because they have a ton of defense skill buffs ~ please realize that just as agility affected every class, this defense skill problem does also. With the right group/raid setup you could theoretically buff up any classes defensive skill enough for them to become unhittable).
    No, its not just you. I personally wanna see what Moorgard says. Is this intended?
    Lastly:
    That would equate to trivializing content, which any class who used to rely on agility can tell you, is a big NO NO in SoE's eyes.
    Hopefully all of us are just misunderstanding the new numbers.... right?
  14. ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt Guest

You people dont get it.

We are supposed to avoid... we are not avoiding! We the monks are getting hit more and taking more damage cause we the avoiding subclass archtype of the fighter wear light armor!

The Dev's need to fix deflection and thats all we are asking.

Thanks and have a nice day ;)

@Gage
    Nice post Gage!
    Message Edited by NeVeRLiFt on 03-22-2005 02:44 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-Ilina Guest

I think your last post says it all, Gage.
    If we weren't supposed to be as effective as a Plate Tanker, and we weren't supposed to out DPS a scout, where does that leave us?
    Yay, Hybrids! Can do both, but can't do either well!
    Things such as this aren't making it so exciting to play, anymore. :smileysad:
    -Ilina
    (edit) How exactly can deflection be fixed so that it's not overpowering? If we get to the point where we can say that we avoid 90% of attacks per battle, every battle, instead of migating them, we're going to have four fighter archetypes coming after us with torches and nooses.
    Message Edited by Ilina on 03-22-2005 11:44 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Its a good point, but that's why there is a sliding balance between avoidance and mitigation (or at least, that's how its *supposed* to work).
    If you evade more you mitigate less, and rely on the mitigation to lessen the spikes.
    If you evade less you mitigate more, because there isn't any spikes really and this allows the damage you take to be manageable.
    This *should* in effect even out the damage taken over time, and allow both to be manageable by healers. Its also why there are wards/regens/reactives in this game, because each type helps in different scenarios.
    The reason we are seeing such an imbalance against raid mobs is because they avoid on par with us while having superior mitigation. Thus the damage taken over time is actually less, which is unintended.
  17. ARCHIVED-NeVeRLiFt Guest

Now we are getting somewhere.

I look forward to the dev's reply and answer to this.

Ok so they cant fix deflection? Well then they can tweak our defense skill (this seems to be all the rage and helps guardians so much).
    Give us the option to use bucklers again or up our deflection skill by a few more points. As it stands we are just not avoiding like we should and Familymanfirst has the parses to show it as low as lvl 22 I believe it was.
    And my tests at lvl 43 shows its even worse!
  18. ARCHIVED-Grabaan Guest

We really need dev input on this situation...

I think splitting up AC into Mitigation and Avoidance proved what Gage, myself, and a few others around here have long suspected:

"Plate" classes avoid nearly as much as we do + they get the increased mitigation values we expect them to have based on their class descriptions

Now, assuming these numbers reflect reality as the game engine sees it, a plate tank avoids as much as an agile monk with shall we say "flexible" armor, all while in a hulking suit of heavy armor? Even my 4 year old niece knows that a big knight is not going to be able to move as fast.

In my mind, a more reasonable range for a plate class would be similar mitigation to what they have now, but a 30-40% avoidance unbuffed, topping out at around 50% buffed.

Keep us around the 77% we have now and maybe then we work out to be a bit closer to each other. However, no amount of avoidance is going to prevent us from the huge streaks of damage we're prone to, and if we avoided 100% of the time, it'd be unfair and downright not fun.

I'm not sure what the solution is to this, or even if drastic changes are in order.

Clearly a lot of our selfbuffs don't do nearly as much for us as guardians seem to, since our nice avoidance selfbuffs add mearly a percent to avoidance at best, while they achieve significant gains in both mitigation and avoidance from their buffs.

What I'm really getting at is, for the high level monks around, despite our best efforts we go down quicker than most in raids as MT. We are trying to learn why and, if possible, overcome these issues through play style, equipment, and skill. However, it seems like the deck may be stacked against us for now, we simply cannot be as good on paper or in game if other classes can avoid just as much as us and absorb 50-75% more simultaneously

Message Edited by Grabaan on 03-22-2005 02:07 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

True, but don't get too discouraged. Jez has tanked two x4s now. The Angler (who is easy) and the King in the CL instance. So it IS possible, its just still a little skewed as far as implementation goes.
    But, I have faith that this will all be looked into, because I can't honestly fathom that being on par with avoidance while having a 50~75% lead in mitigation is intended.
    Like I said, its about the balance between avoidance/mitigation.
    You need to think of it like this:
    Mitigation----------------------------------------------------Avoidance
    It should be nearly impossible to increase both to such levels that it trivializes content.
    When you start ramping up the avoidance, mitigation should suffer, and vice versa.
    Which, is why I believe they nerfed Shrug Off. Because it was adding like 48% avoidance at Master 1 and around 2000AC (mitigation).
    Unless I'm wrong, which is why I'd like Moorgard to say something.
    Monks = defensive brawlers = avoidance kings
    Guardians = defensive warriors = mitigation kings
    I don't think either of us should end up the best at both.
  20. ARCHIVED-RafaelSmith Guest

What bonus is this you speak off? Cause after testing some things out after this patch almost all my buffes do nothing for mitigation like they do for avoidance. At level 38 With shield and self buffs I can pump avoidance up to almost 70% while at best I can pump mitigation up form 49% ubuffed to 54% or so.

I bet if you took an equallevel SK/Pally/Zerker/Guardian each using equal armor and self buffs their mitigation would be almost identical. Hell even cleric mitigation is gonna be close but their avoidance will be quite abit lower.

The truth is other classes do more for increasing my mitigation absorbtion % than I can do.

Whats wrong is the Defense skill and more importantly its role in the game. It not only changes my avoidance it also shifts the effect con of mobs which if im correct makes all these "...against even con mob..." formulas invalid.

Honestly this isnt what i had expected. When I chose a "Heavy Tank" i expected ubah mitigation with average avoidance...i.e i should get hit alot for a little...steady meat shield.

Mitigation takes a very distant back seat to avoidance it seems... This is something that effects all fighters not just Monks/Guardians.