Are conjurers really too easy?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Prismatica, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Anunnaki Active Member

Bad summoner > bad sorc. Which is why people think its easier to play.
    Coriel likes this.
  2. Labeleth Member

it's much easier for a pet class to /pet attack and get some numbers out of it considering the pets are a significant portion of dps (even for necros). when a sorcerer /pet attacks you don't notice any numbers :p

there's a whole thread on this, search "Labeleth" and i'm sure you'll find it considering i've been non existent on these boards prior to. i did get over it and now DB isn't getting my money /shrug
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Well I haven't run my necro for a long time but from mine testing using faceroll with just pet is slow as hell... getting tanking merc (preferably paladin) and scout pet seems to produce better result but still after playing warlock playing necro ... ummmm kind of slow?
  4. Anunnaki Active Member

Letting the pet attack and the summoner do nothing will allow you to parse like a templar. That might be a bit generous.
    Xillean, Sigrdrifa and Labeleth like this.
  5. Rubick Well-Known Member

While that's true, playing a wizard and being horrible at utilizing fiery blast makes you a glorified mercenary.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  6. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad :) Focused Casting is the same ... just slower recast :)
  7. Swanga Member

Well after I just said I have been playing a top tier warlock, I know how tricky it can be. But I can guarantee that a necro on an AE parse is not just running mage pet and spamming pandemic. There is just as much micro managing on both a necro and conjy as there is on a Wizard or Warlock. Trust me. Played both classes in top raiding guilds.

But as I said before, I did like playing a warlock because it made me use math.

For the sake of the argument, no class is "do this and afk."
  8. Lare Active Member

Building and maintaining increments on a lock is what is killing the class when playing on my necro or conjy you just don't have to think about maintain or building them. Its a lot less stress in that regard.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  9. Veta Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true. Because you have played both this will be easy to show. In order to maximize dps as a sorc you have to build your increments as effectively as possible while also maximizing your dps potential. For summoners it is similar, but somewhat the opposite. For a summoner you want to maximize increment gain and hold them from falling off, this being the tricky part. You want to be able to, as a conj, maximize your burst potential while maintaining increments which is not easy as it seems. The procs only come from your "hostile spells" those being, for example, fiery annihilation. Spells that are not considered hostile, like communion, will not give you increments. You want to keep maximum increments for planar burst. Even though it is one of the lower parsing abilities, it still has a quick cast and is more efficient than most others. It is much easier to maintain increments on smaller encounters.

Now for sorcerors, they will build increments per target hit, leading to more burst opportunities on larger encounters. For summoners, this is where they begin to fall short a bit. As it is somewhat difficult to keep 3-4+ maximized graverots and planar wracks going on multiple targets. Even though it has a high proc rate, it is still not guaranteed to be refreshed a lot. The easiest way to attempt to maximize this would be using the equation for proc rates; however, this does not mean you will always be lucky enough to maximize. Another way you can attempt to maximize this is by having an extra spell timer window. I preferably use DrumsUI which comes with its own independent spell timer windows and you can select the abilities you want it to monitor. This will also tell you in the corner of the ability the total numbers of increments and which target those increments are on, so you can attempt to refresh before they dissipate.
    Anaranj likes this.
  10. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Just to add some food to this discussion .. .Ok I may be yet crappy warlock (parsing in the raid somewhere in the range mid 20 low 40s millions) yes my gear not yet optimized neither by adorns nor by certain pieces (charms/wrists) but what bite me - most of our conjuror with slightly better gear than mine (and I mean it! just slightly) parse on same fights low 30s to mid 60s - read +50% to mine DPS..... What I see in my guild - top is sin following by 2 conjurers then swashy and only after that competition between lock (me) beast and ... dirge
  11. Lare Active Member

never leave home without it. Use it for many things including TW etc etc.

yes but an average conjy doesn't have to consider this as much in heroic content where if a lock is to even compete they need to still manage their increments. I have raided on my conjy in the past and have been competitive with faceroller then.

Where the ave conjy can get away with it more a lock really can't now.

Also a fully increments lock on the pull is significantly doing more dps than one that has to build it. All I do in most instances is increments management the filler spells really don't count. In raid I see my increments disappear before pull of most fights kinda sucks when you spend most times building them.

guess I'm just over increment management
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

May be I am doing something wrong but even on AoE fight major chunk of my damage comes from Caustic Detonation and oddly Cata. But I do not have any ethereal like essence of duality to reset to 30s reuse Rift and Apoc... So basically all what I do trying to build as fast as I can increment and then release combo Rift-Apoc-Caustic (and keep eye on FC of course)
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Umm... I have a conjuror. What has increments? Have I been missing something? I know my 'lock has increments, but the conjy?
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Nice tip. The Drums timer can keep track of several different things? How do you configure? /scurries off to EQ2Interface.com to grab one...

For all my casters, I'd like to always know when Time Warp is coming, without having to rely upon the Illy to give me a warning that my ACT triggers will interpret. I'd love to have my warlock's increments in a big honking window where I can see it all the time.

Any other UI suggestions for conjy (or warlock) success?
  15. Sylke Well-Known Member

Planar Wrack
  16. Anunnaki Active Member

This is only partially true. Communion, Aqueous Swarm, and Roaring Flames can all proc Planar Wrack. It isn't the limited pet itself that procs it, its the act of the summoner that is considered a hostile action that procs it (so only has a chance to proc on the spell cast by the summoner.) They are classified just like the other spells as far as green, red, blue (though, none are blue.) Communion is a green encounter spell, the other two are red ST spells. This classification of Communion as a green is what makes them run around like idiots on linked encounters and attack the wrong target.
  17. Isult New Member

If it's an encounter spell there is no wrong target
  18. Anunnaki Active Member

It's a dumbfire pet spell, which summons 2 ST pets and 1 AE pet. The spell itself is green, so the "target" that the pet attacks with their ST is always the wrong target. Baz was a perfect example, he was stoneskin, but linked to the other 3, so the pets would always attack Baz. I know you've heard me complain about this rofl.
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Ah! It doesn't go higher than 5 increments, does it?
  20. Anunnaki Active Member

No, but it will drop off after 16 seconds if its not reapplied, and the idea is to maintain it at 5 increments on as many targets as possible, which proves to be a challenge.