Are conjurers really too easy?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Prismatica, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Prismatica New Member

I've never played any of the mage classes and wondering about this. I do enjoy pet classes, but it seems like everything I hear is that they're too easy and "brain-dead" to play. Does this effect how fun they are? How would they compare to other pet classes? Thanks for your opinions.
  2. Labeleth Member

they're easy to start out with, but oddly enough there aren't many decent players towards the higher end content.
    Laiina likes this.
  3. Lare Active Member

Hey Labs see your still haunting these halls, time to get over it and let me help you level a toon :).

To answer Prisms question a conjy is a fun class to play and can compete with most dps classes.

Being good just takes time and attention to detail.
  4. Veta Well-Known Member

I have come to notice throughout my time playing that anyone who says a class is easy, usually has never mained or even played that class. Mostly, people just look at ACT without a true understanding of the niches of any class and say, "oh I can do that, easily." Just like every class though, there will be a handful of people who are good or bad at it and then very few people who are exceptional at the class.
    Anunnaki, Prismatica, Yoube and 2 others like this.
  5. BrouhahaTLE New Member

I can't speak for live as I don't play there and haven't for awhile. I play on Stormhold the PvE TLE server. Conjuror's are over an powered as a class, it is starting to balance out at the top end of the game now though but they are still strong. When I was leveling up my Defiler in groups I noticed several of the pug conjy's still in much lower level gear and still topping the parse they didn't need gear to perform well and when geared not many classes could touch them.

I'm not sure what the early game looks like since KoS was unlocked as there was a buff to mobs across the board when it did. I found the class easy to solo hero's prior to this but I doubt that's the case any more as the heroics do chew people up and spit them out.

Right now Wizards, Rangers Conjurors and Necromancers are very strong and I've noticed that Brigands have closed the gap between these top 4 and themselves. Scouts in general are in a much better state now that multi attack is in the game on TLE.

Necromancers are flat out better at solo'ing than Conjurors they have more tools to get the job done and are probably better in the tougher content as we are no longer room pulling 5+ mobs at a time so their more single target damage focus gives them the edge.

Illusionists seem to be soloing just fine, I've seen them soloing heroics in the new buffed content and they are extremely wanted for group content for crowd control as are the Coercers though I've not seen any soloing heroics that doesn't mean they can't though there just isn't enough of the enchanters to go around for group demand currently.

I like challenging roles/classes Conjurors were face roll easy to play, if you understand the class and gear them correctly they rip face. That being said I had a ton of fun blowing stuff up on mine but had I known they were a flavor of the month class I would have rolled something else. During Desert of Flames I decided I wanted to switch to Defiler, our guild raids didn't have one and I really enjoyed healing on my mystic in the past, so now I play a Defiler full time and am really enjoying it but soloing is a pain.

TL, DR Conjurors are face role easy and I had a blast playing mine. However there are a lot of them on the server. If you play on live then move along, nothing to see here =D
    Prismatica likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have a conjuror, and having a pet makes a lot of things easier. At low levels, most folks use the tank pet. Once you have good gear and can absorb a hit or two, people switch to the mage or scout pets... you don't need heals if you burn it fast enough. For really tough encounters at level 100, I use a healer merc and my scout pet, otherwise I use a DPS merc.

The first key to any caster is the quality of your spells. Get the best quality spells you can afford. At least upgrade to Adept (instead of the Journeyman spells you are automatically given), and the stuff you use most upgrade to at least Expert (a sage will make those for you). I would try to get Master spells for my main pet at least, and I'd emphasize upgrading Crystal Blast, Fiery Annihilation, and your swarm pets (Aqueous Swarm, Roaring Flames, Communion).

When you arrive at level 91, you will want to get Grandmaster quality spells, either make them yourself (you research the recipes via your crafting apprentice) or commission someone to make them. For each one, you will need a copy of the Master spell book, either a Prismatic Spellshard (90-95) or a Transcendent Spellshard (95-100), plus a handful of the rare root for the tier. Therefore you can plan ahead and purchase the Masters, and purchase or harvest to get the spellshards and rare roots.

Where things get hard is trying to be the best possible conjuror. Played well, a conjy is Tier 1 DPS. But I have seen some conjies that parse like Templars, which is really sad. Some of the difference at end game is your actual armor and jewelry. You can get really nice-quality gear via collections. You also will want to get your stats into the best configuration, which will mean reforging and adorning carefully.The order in which you cast your spells makes a big difference too.

How do you figure out stats? I personally ask in general chat "Who is the best {classname} on the server?" I write down those names, then go to Dragons Armory and EQ2U and look up those players in order to get an idea about the range of the various stats people are using, I note the adorns they've chosen, and I look at their AA spec.
    Prismatica likes this.
  7. Labeleth Member

ummm no evo... just no
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I need a translation. Say what?
  9. Labeleth Member

i was referring to "Lare" whom i know as evo

Sigrdrifa likes this.
  10. Lare Active Member

Yup that is one of my names back in the day when I rocked my conjy with face and fish! and yeah dude get over it you new there was a chance they would get nasty :)
  11. Swanga Member

Anyone can argue that a warlock is Plaguebringer Apoc Rift Toxic Assault. But there is more to it than just that. It's the same with a summoner. Talk to anyone, Maj_Dul.Schwang, Maj_Dul.Beltonx, Halls_Of_Fate.MrMacky, Maj_Dul.Vetaxz, they will tell you the class isn't as "simple and brain dead" as people think.
  12. Lare Active Member

What I will say about conjies it that there is less complication with them and that you can do ok numbers with them with less skill that what you would with a warlock now.

When it comes to exception players well its the player not the class, you would find most would be like that with any DPS class they pick up. Its just what they do!
  13. Belton Member

^ This
    I agree with this to an extent. If you are content with being medicore then that's all you ever will be. So if said summoner thinks they are good and apps to another guild with a summoner who's been playing since the start they will get destroyed. (If that made any sense)
  14. Sylke Well-Known Member

Conjurors are one of the simpler-to-grasp DPS classes. But, like every class, there are intricacies that will elevate you above the average player.
  15. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Actually you missed - Unda. TClap and Chains :) and oh yeah Dark Siphoning and Cata :)
  16. Mrmacky Active Member

I'd appreciate if you didnt give my name out, i try to be as secretive as possibru
  17. Sylke Well-Known Member

It's true. He's so quiet, I'd never even heard his name and I'm on the same server!
  18. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Mmm I seen him and heard him in general chat ... occasionally .... he been unmasked! :)
  19. Swanga Member

Well, as someone who has played a summoner AND warlock in numerous top 5 WW guilds since SF, I can say that I have extensive knowledge in both class mechanics. I find warlock to be tons of fun, and summoner to be stale and sometimes boring. But I still put up crazy numbers!
  20. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Not arguing just sort of correcting ...
    Warlock to be flat honest is one trick pony - Focused casting - take this away from us and we become SK in the cloth armor :) Outside of FC its' all about fast building increments (and that required a lot key smashing)