Are assassin capable

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Virgil, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Virgil Member

Hey there,

I'm thinking of coming back to the game and wanna go for the assassin class. But curious if at the top end their dps is completely obliterated by beast lords. I heard bsts are very out of balance and probably will be until their expansion actually comes out.

Anybody have thoughts on that? Hopefully we can hear from some raiding assassins or bsts.
  2. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Not really, I raided on one from T5 until now and i'm rerolling currently. With the rogue changes, rogues actually parse almost as much as predators, and bring debuffs. The same goes for rangers unfortunately.

Beastlords are kinda in the same boat, they parse decently about the same/maybe a little higher than preds (if played correctly) yet still bring less than rogues. I'd suggest rolling a rogue or going a mage if you really want to dps.

It also doesn't help that all melee classes are currently broken,

CAs hitting for less than their tooltip value is caused by ability mod break points determined by a mobs level/difficulty relative to yours. Ability mod won’t contribute damage to your CAs until the break point is passed. I tested this in DoF on a 60 BL (see the spreadsheet below), my other CAs seemed to work the same as SoC when testing. There should be no break point for mobs, it makes Ability mod a worthless stat
    Testing on 72 x 4s , Ability Mod break point is around 790. So anything under 790 will not add to your skills, but the tooltip will increase. 89 is the Max SoC will hit for untill you get over 790 Mod.https://i.imgur.com/0q8TMEP.png In addition, all mobs appeared to have ~27% reduction to CAs base damage regardless of their level, which is reduced to 0% once the mitigation debuff cap (+40% damage) is hit.
    Virgil, Dude and Draknox like this.
  3. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

assassins are fun either way, my two mains are both... and i am far more likely to steal the aggro from my hubby's beast as an assassin, even with his pet.
    Virgil likes this.
  4. Virgil Member

Thanks for chiming in on this, both of you.

Adoninilol thanks for the specifics that's really helpful to know. Casters haven't really interested me in a while, though I always loved my necro. Not sure if it's a valuable class or not. But was mostly fun to play at least. Maybe I'll check them out again.

It would be nice to have a bit of solo-ability. My assassin is at 37 right now and the grind is sooo slow. When I can't find a group its pointless to play. Which I think is why I took a 3 month break heh. Necro certainly wouldn't have that issue.
  5. Virgil Member

There's some clicky thing, I forget what they're called but it's like a pet. There is one for the assassin that procs a "use stealth skills while not stealthed" buff. I wondered if that would turn them into solo-able killers or not.

Also curious what of those pets a necro might use. That one for assassins seems sooo powerful. Any thoughts on it?
  6. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

the beast is more soloable in that it has a pet which comes in handy.
  7. Zenji Well-Known Member

Those are "familiars". Think of them more as buffs than pets. They don't attack anything and can not be killed. They are just walking buffs that look like a pet.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Familiars

The stealth one you referenced, is an Ethereal familiar. Getting one of those will cost you a fair amount of plat or some $$$ and good RNG.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Chechin,_of_the_Dark
    Dude likes this.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

I guess a class choice like that will heavily be waited around what you plan to do in game. If you don't plan to raid, Then yes Assassins currently are "ok".

If you plan to do even casual raiding, then you will not want to play a Predator. A well played Predator does less damage then a mediocre Sorcerer, and until they get nerfed, an average Rogue. All while offering much less utility to a raid.

As far as Beastlords go, I have not seen a good Feral Beastlord in raid yet. I don't imagine them doing better than a Sorcerer, so not much point in making a scout DPS grp in raid over just a 2nd mage group; for 1 class that does less than T1 dps. They do offer some utility in the form of Spirit BL, but that is unneeded in the current meta.

Adoninlol was very spot on with his analysis. He is one of the better Predators on the server and is rerolling, if that is not a clue to the state of Preds, idk what else would be :)
    Virgil and Dude like this.
  9. Virgil Member

Thanks for the additional thoughts. It's definitely good to know where things stand. Raiding would definitely be part of my game plan. So I suppose I'll avoid predator for now. Not like you can't change it up some point down the line if DB gets things put together correctly.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member

FYI, unless it got fixed and I missed it, xp was screwed up again after the last double xp week. Be prepared for very slow leveling, or shell out cash for two kronos for the broker, buy collections to level as high as possible, then go to Sinking Sands/Pillars of Flame to get the rest of your levels grinding Onerock or Goblins or Poets Palace.