Are All Overseer Mercs Temporary?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Almee, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I keep getting various mercs from overseer quests and haven't a clue what they are for. I think I read that they are temporary so what is their point? Why would I train them? Do they just go poof one day? Is the purpose to get us to shell out $1.50 to be able to use them on the overseer quests? Are all of them located on Luclin, and if so, doesn't that leave a whole bunch of players out in the cold who haven't been able to get to Luclin yet?
  2. Almee Well-Known Member

Wow! I had no idea I would stump the stars with these questions lol. There must be a lot of players flying blind like me.
  3. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I'm not clear as to what is your question.

I'm confused at "mercs from overseer quests" do you mean grolla and melban and some of the others? Those mercs aren't temporary and by now you've probably seen they haven't disappeared from your bags (or your merc tab if you scribed them).

Are you mixing up potions with mercs? The potions from the overseer quests don't disappear either and you've seen that already. So that's probably not it.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding your question.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Melkior Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Grolla and a few others that are Lore? They aren't temporary they are just regular mercs. I don't think I have ever heard of a 'temporary merc.'. In the beginning these were dropping so frequently I actually kept one to prevent it from being awarded again. To the best of my knowledge these are all located on Luclin. Since the OS feature comes with the Luclin purchase it makes sense for the to be located there. Just like the ones that were from CD content are in the overland zones attached to Myrist.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Okay. Nowadays, mercenaries come in "Seasons". The ones you can get in Blood of Luclin, and from the Overseer Missions as a reward, are the current season. If you hire each of these mercenaries, then purchase the "Hire Anywhere" unlock for them, they become part of your Battalion Buff (actually, all "Hire Anywhere" mercs can be part of a Battalion Buff, but the BoL ones are the best). You will see that Battalion Buff in your maintained spell window: it looks like one of the mercenary coins. If you examine the buff, you can see what it is doing.

For each 5 levels a "Hire Anywhere" merc is trained, they contribute more to their Season's Battalion Buff. For BoL, the best buff is the one you get from Rosa Dod, so if you are going to be grouping, summon Rosa to get the buff, then dismiss her. As you get mercenary training potions, work on levelling up each of your various BoL mercs. Get them all to level 5, then to 10, 15, and finally 20 (do it this way because it's faster to get two mercs to level 5 than one merc to level 10 etc., each level takes more time than the one before it).

The other benefit is that your "Hire Anywhere" mercs can be sent out on Overseer Missions.

When you are soloing, you can use any merc you want (I usually take the best healer I have, YMMV), but when you are in a group, the ideal is to summon the highest Season merc that gives you the best buff, then dismiss them, then group. The Battallion Buff persists.
    Carynn, Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  6. Almee Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sigrdrifa. Your information is very helpful.

However, I'm still not sure where to find these mercs. And where are we in the "season?" I don't want to waste training pots on a merc if its life is about to expire.

Is the idea to give all the mercs to 120-level characters or can any level character use them? If you can share a link that has all this information I would be very grateful.
  7. Bludd Well-Known Member

8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

• Melban Pindleclasp, The Blinding (361, 79, 398)
    • Horthis, the Vengeful, Aurelian Coast (230, 89, -386)
    • Oor of Umbra, Aurelian Coast (-270, 189, 431)
    • Rosa Dod, Sanctus Seru (-165, 83, 232)
    • Tarsil, the Pure, Sanctus Seru (5, 180, 260)
    • Vylkorin, the Vile, Wracklands (674, 102, 242)
    • Grolla Skullwielder, Wracklands (80, -11, -167)
    • Zel'Kriaz, Wracklands (-13, 129, 752)
    • Micrus Deathband, Wracklands (813, 162, 768)
    Some of these you will have to be able to fly to hire.

There are two kinds of training potions. The regular potions can be stored for later use, others are "Temporary 4 hours", which means you have to use them in that 4 hour span or lose them.

We are in the Blood of Luclin season of mercenaries. One supposes that when the next expansion comes out there might be a new season, or maybe it will be the same, all "Luclin mercenaries". And we have no real way of knowing if the newer mercs will have better Battalion Buffs or not.

In order to hire any of the mercenaries listed above, you have to be able to obtain its coin. Once you consume the coin (Examine it, click whatever the instruction is that says yes, you want to use this merc), then you must go to Luclin, travel to the area where the merc is located, and hire it there. Since I have run some low-adventure-level, high tradeskill level toons through the BoL tradeskill questline, yes, lower level toons can use at least some of the mercenaries. Others (Oor of Umbra comes to mind) cannot be reached if you have not unlocked the ability to fly in BoL.
    Carynn and Breanna like this.
  9. Almee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sigrdrifa. So, basically, you have to have either a high-level adventurer or tradeskiller to access the mercs. I'll move the mercs to my high-level toons if they are tradeable.