Archery, lag or bug?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Musen, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Musen Guest

Is it just my laggy cpu that gets this or is this a bug of some sort? :)

When I use my ranged attack the mob aggros me at the second I pull my bow out. NOT when the arrow hits it. So even if I'm at max range the mob is already chewing at my neck as I release my first shot. wich is a bit annoying. :)

Anybody else having this problem?
  2. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Yeah, I am having this issue as well, I don't like it. Would be nice if I could get some more attacks off before the mob started hating on me.
  3. ARCHIVED-Dovaj Guest

It was like this in Beta too. A dev acknowledged it and they said they were changing the animation. I still thinkthat they are under the impression that it is just a buggy animation. They do not seem to realize that the Mob is attacking us before it could possibly know that we are attacking.
  4. ARCHIVED-Goodwill Guest

I have the same problem, and its making the game a lot less playable for me, because I love the bow.. What do we do about this to make the dev do something about it..?
  5. ARCHIVED-Trobon the Orange Guest

Well this is one of those things where we have to get up and say. "It's time already for a correspondent." Of coarse the devs will say that it is too early, but we already can see the truth.

Bows do need to be fixed right away. In EQ we had more melee and spells to back up on, but tehy have put a much larger emphasis on bows in this. Although it is not all we have it is a large deal and should work as intended. Creatures obviously shouldn't agro before they are hit just like they wouldn't with melee or spells. So its time to get them to fix us. We need representation.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kiril Guest

There is a workaround, but it's not available to everyone.

If you use a ranged art (Back Shot at 15th or Open Shot at 16th) to start the combat, then the mob will not aggro until the Art 'goes off'.

I will hit Open Shot, wait until the activation bar is almost full, then hit my Range Attack button. Both attacks go off almost simultaneously.

- Kiril
  7. ARCHIVED-Goodwill Guest

I have decided to send a bug report everyday to make SOE take this big problem serious.

By Old Bow have a range of 37 meters. I should be able to his a monster at least 2 times before it comes to me, and the monster shouldn’t react just because I press the ranged attack button.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kehoe Guest

doesnt the re-fire rate on regular shots seem a bit lame ?
    the animation makes it looks like you are scratching your *** while waiting for the mob to get closer, instead of pulling out another arrow and get down to doing what you are suppose to do... ATTACK
  9. ARCHIVED-Archanis Guest

Playing a ranger is about dealing damage, and the way to deal the most damage is through your combat arts -- most notably, shadow blade, sneak attack, and later on Backshot, hidden shot etc.

It's a waste of arrows to use ranged attack for DPS. What I always did was pull with Backshot or Hidden Shot, then when the mob gets in melee range, I'd whip out the daggers, stun him, and get off a stealthed attack from behind. Then start working the HOs.

If you sit back and just hit auto-attack with the bow, you're not only going to chew up a lot of arrows, but you're also wasting a lot of coin by doing so.
  10. ARCHIVED-Goodwill Guest

There are many ways to play a Ranger, and that’s nice. But that doesn’t change the fact that bows have to be nursed more before being realistic.
  11. ARCHIVED-Winzen-Stormz Guest

as soon as you shoot your bow they take dmg not when it impacks the target so all it is is animation. I have no problem hunting with a bow.
  12. ARCHIVED-Scilence Guest

I have the same issue, by the time the arrow leaves the mob is halfway to me. he shouldn't move till the arrow hits him.
  13. ARCHIVED-Eorendil Guest

Its an animation/timing issue. In this case the animation is too slow and the damage is independent of the missile (unlike EQL). If you watch your combat box (assuming you have one) The creature takes damage WAAAAAY before your animation is even close to finished. So, I guess you could call it a timing issue. If you want it to sync up that first shot should be timed to go off with the animation of the arrow hitting the target and then if you are firing successive shots your character should draw and then release in time to sync with the next damage triggering of the attack.
  14. ARCHIVED-b3tahack Guest

If any correspondent for a scout boards I would have to nominate the owner of the scout sanctuary website. That person would be most suited for the job.