Arcane, magic, mental... and ascension

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Raeven, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Raeven Well-Known Member

What is the difference between Arcane, Magic, and Mental damage? Does mitigation against Arcane cover all three?

My illusionist has a lot of spells that do Mental damage, and some buffs that increase mental damage and decrease resistability to mental damage. If I use the Ascension buff it will change all my damage type to something else and the mental damage buffs will no longer do anything, correct?
  2. Sogapa Active Member

Mental and Magic are types of Arcane damage.

As far as the ascension goes, your particular type of magic that you debuff against does not change when you use your ascension skill that changes damage type. It changes all of your outgoing damage spells, but does not change what you debuff. Your arcane damage debuffs will continue to debuff the mob and help increase that type of damage that others are doing, even if you are no longer doing that damage type.
    Raeven likes this.
  3. Raeven Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input and explanation. However, I was referring to a buff, not a debuff. It buffs me to make my mental damage 10% more and less resistable. So changing all my damage types to arcane would make that useless? Since it is specifically for mental damage, and I would no longer be doing mental damage?

Oh, I see you are saying it would help other in the group if they are doing mental damage. Not high on my priority list. Much more interested in what I myself can do, since you never know who you will be grouping with, or even if you will be in a group.
  4. Conifur Well-Known Member

I asked the same question about my Diety spells that increase fire damage but my spells are changed to cold. What I have noticed is your Ascension spells like Wildfire do not change and are heat still. Seems the Deity spells for Sol Ro are basically worthless.
  5. Raeven Well-Known Member

Yes, actually, the buff I am referring to is a Deity spell.

Of course, it is only a 10 minute buff that can only be used every 30 minutes, so I guess it is not a big deal to toggle off the Ascension buff for 10 minutes, losing the potency buff in the process. Just have to figure out which is better.

That just leaves the problem of the ascension buff shapechanging overriding illusions, but that is a different thread.
  6. Sogapa Active Member

If it buffs mental, then it should still work if you are doing arcane damage by selecting etherealist. I could be wrong, but since mental is a type of arcane, it should still be effective for you.
    Raeven likes this.
  7. Daryl Member

Just a head's, iirc, the deity buff that you're looking at is just 10% potency to mental abilities, which is very, VERY minor nowadays.

I think it'd have to be the other way around since mental is under the umbrella of arcane... would have to read "buffs arcane damage" for it to have an effect on mental, magic, and divine.
    Raeven likes this.