Appearance armor of other MMO

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Nero, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

my paladin want that "dragon-crested" helm with wings as shown on EQ2's screen loader. if you see those set of helments in background concept, most were already in the game.
    originally, way before DoF released, i thought we would be getting arabian armors but we get basic tiered versions. so, i was just dissappointed..
    i didnt like my paladin's Bananna color flavor KoS relics, wish it was blue or shiny metallic white.
    say no to single color armor suit, 2-3 color maybe ideal for trims and base.
    if the devs said it is gold, but folks will going to say bananna.

i like some armors from unplugged Asheron's Call 2, Tyrant Armors and Artefun royal armors are the only best looking armors i had ever seen, some armors from Guild Wars are decent, but none of those would fit in eq2 theme.
  2. ARCHIVED-Noaani Guest

kela wrote:
    From the point of view of looking at the armour in real life, they are similar, though different.
    From the point of view of a model artest in a computer game, they are identicle armour suits, with snap-on shoulders.
    Its not a totally new look, its a partial new look. Its also not an old look, as a part of it is new.
    Saying its a totally new look is as rediculous as saying its nothing new at all. From an art perspective, part of it is new, part of it is not. To add to the complexity, snap-ons can be taken from one armour set to another without too much issue. They can take a skull snap-on from one plate set and put it on another plate set, a chain set, leather or even cloth.
    If you look at snap-ons as black and white in terms of new look vs not new look, what point is it exactly that reusing the same snap-on stops being a new look and starts being a reuse of existing art assets?
  3. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Noaani wrote:
    The first time a snap-on is used it is infact a new model, beyond that they are infact reusing the snap-on model, and from that point on it is not a new model.This is because the snap-on model itself did have to be created and did have to be fitted to the exsisting armor...if that is even how it works.
    However, Look and model are two differant things. Even a recoloring is a "new look" though I think everyone agrees that it is hardly a new model...same with retexturing, though that is better then recoloring.
  4. ARCHIVED-bks6721 Guest

If I go out into the garage and install a spoiler on my mini van and then give it a new paint job, do i suddenly have a new, exciting model? Nope, I've polished a turd.
  5. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Geez you people are splitting hairs. Who cares WHAT a snap-on is or is not? Either you are happy with the armor in-game or you are not abnd that does not depend on the definition.
    Honestly, go to the art forum to determine how many angels dance atop the head of the snap-on/what's a model pin! You've totally degenerated here to the equivalent of "Does NOT!" "Does too! "Sez who?" "Sez me!" "Oh yeah..."
  6. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

kela wrote:
    Thanks for proving me right? Those look nothing alike.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

kela wrote:
    Snap ons are not a full model, they are only a a partial model that they add to an existing full model.
  8. ARCHIVED-Nero Guest

Personally, I like an armor like this.
    http://moepic.com/library/ca_58.php
    As a Shadowknight, I would like to wear an armor like this.
    I do not mean that SOE should mimic this armor.
    I would like to see such UNIQUE armor as this one.
    I think that this armor is unique.
    Too anime-chique?
    Maybe.
  9. ARCHIVED-Aurelis Guest

And I want to see robes look like this and dresses look more like this (mm... non-poofy sleeves and modesty!). With as many players as there are in EQ2, we have differing opinions in styles. For example, that creepy... alien... thing you linked doesn't appeal to me at all. Nor does anything in this pic. d:
  10. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

The funniest part of the whole thing, is that SOE is very capable of coming up with good designs. Look at some of the stuff the npcs wear, specifically those that populate places such as MajDul, Mistmoore, and other dungeons/zones. I'd like to see them attempt to make wearable items based off those designs. If they did that, they wouldn't even have to reference other games. The clothing the vampires wear are particularly interesting, as are the pirate clothes that the Gunthak Pirates. Even the new Lich and Scarecrow models have some interesting featurtes that could be adapted into wearable items. Yeah, they'd have to modify it to work with all the races, but by following those designs they could make something far better than what they have currently.
  11. ARCHIVED-Aurelis Guest

Fayle@Mistmoore wrote:
    *nodnodnod*
    Yeah! And that stuff still fits within the EQ2 style, because... well, it IS from EQ2, heh. I've always had a fondness for that robed dress thing the old-style vampires wear, not the skimpy chainmail + skirt thing I can get with my vampire illusion. I looove that hooded dress.
    Very good point! *nod*
  12. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Aurelis wrote:
    I agree I would love to see them try and fit some of the NPC clothing to player models, especally some of the more modest dresses and such.
  13. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

14. ARCHIVED-Aurelis Guest

The differences are very noticeable to me! hehe. Our current robes are kind of frumpy and the hood is attached only to the neckline, whereas a monk robe has the neato shoulder covers. It is also solid all the way around without the separation for legs. The sleeves also don't cling to the arms as much.
    They're not extreme differences, but compounded, they make a very different robe.
  15. ARCHIVED-Mustang8259 Guest

I really don't mean to offend, but seeing some of these suggestions makes me real happy we have what we do =P y'all are startin to scare me, especially with the plate mail with the plate skirt...
  16. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Mustang8259 wrote:
    Plate skirts are one of the ways horsemen protected their legs when riding. It's really hard to effectively armor the hip area without compromising leg movement, so the general technique in any culture has usually ben a "skirt" of plates projecting down from teh waist (tassets, for example).
  17. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    The one I gave the link for was for fighting on foot. It is a real suit of armour used by Henry VIII in a tournament at the Field of Cloth of Gold. He also had suits with split skirts for use on horseback.
  18. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

That armor is ugly as anything, but I guess that's to be expected of plate armor.
  19. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

Personally, I play a fantasy mmo, so I wouldn't mind seeing some fantasy armour. Something that is completely impractical, but looks cool (ie. I am a big fan of plate/chainmail bikinis).
    If I wanted to see real, logical armour in action, I could go to my husband's mediaeval fencing class.
  20. ARCHIVED-duelist02 Guest

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:
    I agree with Aurelis, those robes and dresses would look good in game. Personally I would prefer a more femine style of dresses then the current formal wear, which is just triangles attached to the front and back of the waist.
    And Terron, that armour looks familiar to the armour options ingame, except EQ2 doesnt include huge cockpieces on there armour.