APOTHEOSIS: Varsoon & the ewer (everling, zebuxoruk, ultor, The Ancille of D’Morte)

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-ratbast, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

I decided to make this an in-game book of a misguided researcher.
    Lately I have been studying the lore surrounding Varsoon the Undying, especially my Ruins of Varsoon books. Yesterday while doing so, two things jumped out at me.

Varsoon had an ivory chalice (could that be the ewer of Sul'dae?). He traveled to the Plane of Disease for a sample of the ground, then to another plane, not sure which, then back to the demiplane of Knowledge, eureka, he had an epiphany. Hasn't Zeboxoruk ascended in a similar fashion: journeying through planes for knowledge?

Also, during my campaign in the Desert of Flames, regarding the Ewer...I conducted a seance to rediscover lost knowledge concerning the Ewer. I spoke with the spectre of The Ancille of D'Morte. Who had past this life into the Grey Fields. This was also the stated purpose of Ultor with King Adan (reference: Remembrances - Berrox), resulting in ascension of Bertoxxulous, and pulling a dragon-based necropolis (Necropolis of Lxanvon) into the Plane of Disease: speaking to ancestors who he worships, just like the Ancille seance broght someone from Ethernere back to communicate.

The ewer must really be the central piece. There definitely might be a connection between seances, the ewer, and apotheosis. Was Varsoon trying to deify himself, without disease based immortal body? Or was he merely searching for invulnerability and imoortality?

So Varsoon went to the Plane of Disease, got a sample to study (of the planar ground), asked unnamed mage (Varsoon collection 4) to maintain life in disemboweled, disconnected cattle organs. He discovered fig as a potential spell component to maintain life in otherwise dead mass.

In Varsoon collection 3 (full disclosure, its a play, not a history), Varsoon poured some liquids into a cup, levitated the cup, then a mist of red envelops him and he is triumphant.

My theory on apotheosis: hybrid lich-seance pact/ritual using ewer.
    Requirements: lichdom, worshipper base as driving force, merge phylactery with plane you claim without challengers (or after eliminating them) to your dominion

Steps:

1) find powerful artifact to house soul in, become lich (your soul anchored to phylactery)

2) ritual with ewer and phylactery, possibly sample from intended plane of control: make pact with those either beyond, or at door to ethernere/Deathtoll to serve them (or possibly they serve you). Their rage may be a required component, ewer allows for pact, as well as communication into ethernere

3) transport your phylactery to your plane, infuse your plane with your artifact (your soul now anchored to plane)
    final product: you are lich whose object is a plane of influence, as well as immortal; bond with your plane has feedback connection: you gain associated powers

Anomolies:
    Zebuxoruk
    -only ascended to god, not god of influence with associated plane (PoK is demiplane)

Varsoon
    -could be ruler of the void for all we know, he may be known as "The creator" to them, maybe he failed to use powerful artifact such as ancient rotting dragon corpses, and didn't figure out way to use fig leaf as substitute, end result was immortality with disease from his planar sample, with unknown lichdom to any plane. To be sure, Everling didn't have a shortage of potential artifacts to donate to this cause.
    If this theory is correct, liches are merely the result of an incomplete apotheosis (the first third only), and vampires are the result of skipping lichdom and using improper inputs (for worshippers) into the second third of apotheosis.
    Conclusion: Varsoon has completed steps 1 and 2; its unclear for step 3.
    Appendix A: Origins of Vampirism

Remove lich aspect from apotheosis process, replace seance and ancestors with 1) self, or 2) another person not in ethernere

Result:
    1) basically you are the intended vicarious pledge signer and fuel for your own transformation (freeblood, weak powers)

2) you become subservient to a master (standard vampire)

Appendix B: Theory of Mayong's Bride

Tserinna Syl'Tor was rejected by Mayong because he was looking for a companion godess to ascend with. Her soul was already tainted from a dragon, accidentally partially imbuing the dragon into her own body, along with the object, thus creating a connection between the dragon's soul and her own soul, which modified her essence taking on the dragon's traits, preventing possibility of a clean unfettered apotheosis ritual. That's why she has wings.
    Myong then cast a spell on Tserinna, binding her not only to the dragon's soul, but to the dracoliche object. This spell was a curse that is based on proximity, thus leaving The Tower of Frozen Shadow would rapidly deteriorate her physical body.
    Basically, 'turning' Tserinna would either turn her into a freeblood, or make her subservient to the dragon.
    Appendix C: Note on anchors

Some may term mortals' physical bodies as anchors, which when destroyed usher the being towards the Deathtoll Tower, technically they are anchors in that they keep the soul present, but death transports them into a different realm.
    Djinn are indigenous to the Plane of Sky. Their existence in Norrath weakens them. To compensate they utilize material from the Plane of Sky to anchor themselves here, often fashioned into lamps, urns, etc.
    Like Djinn, vampires also seem to have their strength amplified by an 'anchor'. Their coffins are for resting, are the bones of their victims fashioned into sarcophagus, or are they simply littered inside it? Do coffins have magical properties at all?
    Shadowmen also are from another dimension-the void, and are only able to partially manifest and be in-phase through their swirling portals.
    Like mortality, djinns, and shadowmen, lichdom provides an anchor. Unlike those forms, when liches bodies are destroyed, they still remain on the plane their phlactery resides. Severing the connection to the anchor for mortals and for liches have the same result: transport to Grey Fields.
    Deities also send forth their Avatars, which are anchored on the prime material plane (Norrath). Like Djinn and Shadowmen, I have not yet discovered the result of severing the connection to the anchor. Are they transported back to their original plane? I suspect not; their anchors are not essential to their existence here, just amplifiers, not true phylacteries.
    During Anashti'Sul's return to Norrath, she experienced death in the void. This death allowed her anchor to the void to be severed, and she was able to rematerialize on Norrath.
    Thus we see it is not always easy to tell where a being might be requisitioned upon its anchor being severed.
    Killing Gods on Norrath returns them to their own plane. It has been speculated that killing deities on their own plane can unmake them. Just as Rhoen Theer once had this power.
    Like the djinn, when deities leave their sphere to enter the prime material plane they suffer a weakening. Rallos Zek has plans to compensate for this by absorbing the demigods of war upon his arrival. Hopefully he doesn't bring an amplifier like a vampire's coffin or djinn's lamp from the matter of the Plane of War.
    Additionally, there is another anchor-like relationship between a coercer and their pet. I'm not sure if Liandria possessed or used my own body as a phylactery. During my epic quest, I witnessed what appeared to be possession as the process for charming. Creating a pet from others is also known as possess essence. Could this be another form of soul displacement? In Nektropos Castle's basement I discovered Ollix Everling had possessed Alexa.
  2. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

3. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

4. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

He had a tea cup if i recall which you can get from LON
    [IMG]
  5. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

Here's the lore I have on varsoon:
    The Neriak Signal _________–:+:–_________ Edition 7 Volume 2 >>>>The Primordial Malice<<<>>>Varsoon the Undying<<<< Varsoon, a most prominent Teir'Dal necromancer now turned zombie, has resumed his preparations for attack on the human city of Qeynos. Varsoon is gathering his undead army along with the support of Vashaar, the First Disciple of Innoruuk who has graciously offered his support in this effort. So far Varsoon's movement have been halted in the hills outside of the city. However, once Vashaar's troops join up with Varsoon's undead, the raid should most definitely move forward.
    ---------------
    **–**The Odus Chronicle**–** *=*Vol. VII: Issue II *=* –= Varsoon’s Uprising =– Our reporters have gained some rather interesting and somewhat disturbing information about a recent state of turmoil to overrun the hills of Qeynos. Undead in the form of a skeletal army have taken the Qeynos Hills as their battlefield. However, the mere presence of this skeletal army is the least of our and the people of Qeynos’ worries. It appears that Varsoon the undying has gained a mysterious and very powerful benefactor, a Teir’Dal by the name of Vashaar. Rumors have it that Varsoon has raised this army in following Vashaar’s orders to overrun the city of Qeynos and relieve the troubled nation of its citizens and freedom. Fortunately, Qeynos’ own army has strengthened its defenses against the intentions of Varsoon and the noble adventurers of Norrath have gathered to aid Qeynos in its defense. Though it is highly unlikely such an army could take Qeynos with the Priests and Knights of Thunder, we give our prayers to The Tranquil in hopes that Qeynos will emerge victorious once again from this darkness.
    ------------------------------
    Journal of Varsoon the Undying - My research has yielded Bertoxxulous’ greatest gift, eternal life. With my human heart safe in Najena’s hands I shall be able to wreak The Plaguebringer’s revenge upon Jahnda and her temple soon. The ancient power of the Ruins of Geupal is almost mine. I only need another’s rage to complete my journey to immortality. Mayong’s minions still seek my demise but their efforts shall be in vain. That vampire shall never possess my hearts. — From the Journal of Varsoon the Undying
    Varsoon – The time has come when we shall wreak havoc upon our mutual enemies. Gather your forces for the assault on the city. My servant Aezaar shall arrive with my forces within two days time. – Vashaar, First Disciple of Innoruuk
    Varsoon – I hope, for your sake, that you are prepared for the assault. My servant Aezaar shall be arriving with my forces shortly after noon tomorrow. Be prepared to begin the attack immediately. – Vashaar, First Disciple of Innoruuk
    In the Norrathian year 5190 B.T., the House of Everling purchases an idol from Valdoartus Varsoon. This trinket proves to be cursed, but contains another rune upon it that is linked with the Rune of Sunder. The rune is designated the Rune of Ethernere. The idol is designated the Idol of Mor’Tael.
    Logbook - Varsoon Apprentices - Much of the log book falls to shreds as you attempt to open it. One partial page remains and reads, “…Since the master’s unexpected extended absense we must take the keys and hide them. This is one of his prized possessions, a puzzle box toy withholding great wonders. I shall hold onto the skull key myself. As for the star key I have instructed the creator to cast it into one of the molds of the guardians. No one will be able to obtain it from one of these golems. Currently the creator’s work is incomplete and he has been unable to complete the task until we can overcome the siege of Antonicans that attempt to raze the keep. I will…”
    Bayle says to you, “So Danaria’s son grew to be a man? And the Bayle line has continued…? I… I can’t hear anymore, I’m sorry. We need to focus on what needs to be done. We have come here, and you have come here, to sever Anashti Sul’s link to Norrath.”
    You say to Bayle, “Yes, yes that’s why I’m here.”
    Bayle says to you, “She has the assistant of a mage named Varsoon. He is from Norrath as well, though long after we were there.”
    You say to Bayle, “Yes, the mage Varsoon is well known in Norrath. So he ended up in the Void?”
    Bayle says to you, “Yes, and was then recruited by Anashti to do her bidding and help her construct portals that would not only allow her to return to Norrath, but also to bring her army and all of the power the Void has given her.”
    You say to Bayle, “I see…”
    Bayle says to you, “Both of them need to be overcome in order for her to be stopped. We’ve known that we couldn’t take them both, but with your help, it can be done. It is our place to take on Anashti Sul, but you should confront Varsoon. We will take the Staff of Theer with us and use it to destroy her final anchor.”
  6. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

Varsoon was also involved in the Glowing Black Stone that Pyzjn dropped at the location of varsoon in EQ1
    As you can see from the EQ2 quest Varsoon tricked Pyzjn and captured her soul
  7. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

I think his heart is the most important thing on this tbh - they say he died from an arrow shot but i think it's clear he again had his heart removed like mentioned in his journal
  8. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

Alluvial@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    What ? Teir'Dal ?
    In both EQ1 (Qeynos Hills) and EQ2 (Palace of Ferzhul) Varsoon is a human. Even his "ghost" in the Chamber of Immortality doesn't use the Teir'Dal ghost model.
  9. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

That's from EQ1 news npcs you could find in game around 2000 so it's verified lore
    I just want to say though that most of the lore in eq1 about varsoon talks about removing his heart and being reborn, it doesn't necessarily mean he was always a human - this guy is dabbling with all sorts of necromancy
  10. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

The Varsoon collection series identifies 3 objects of interest. 1 is an ivory chalice with runes in unknown language 1 is an 'egg' that can radiate tremendous light 1 is a crystal rabbit that can produce gold Varsoon became a lich at some point. Which is most likely to be his phlactery? the egg seems most like a heart. Journal of Varsoon the Undying - My research has yielded Bertoxxulous’ greatest gift, eternal life. With my human heart safe in Najena’s hands I shall be able to wreak The Plaguebringer’s revenge upon Jahnda and her temple soon. The ancient power of the Ruins of Geupal is almost mine. I only need another’s rage to complete my journey to immortality. Mayong’s minions still seek my demise but their efforts shall be in vain. That vampire shall never possess my hearts. — From the Journal of Varsoon the Undying So his phlactery was the heart of a human(Varsoon was dark elf); and he had multiple 'hearts', which Mayong was presumably hunting him for. To me this sounds like he is a master lich, keeping others liches phlacteries as ransom for their service. So the former vampire hunter Mayong now hunts liches? How is lichdom achieved? iirc the knowledge is held by Innoruuk, who has made deals with mortals for this knowledge. Anchoring a soul in something besides their mortal body sounds like void expertise, but the ewer (which inny may have studied while he had it) creates river of life that runs thru celestial realms, anchoring of the soul for its lifetimes. lich: Lucan, Venril, Rile, Ganak, Miragul, A Monolithic Phylactery, possibly Muyassar Zuhur dracholiche: Tarinax, SoF's Dracholiche, failed dracholiche: Do'ellin - only a spectre
  11. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

as for types of phlacteries...

organic vs inorganic, living vs dead
    i find it curious that varsoon seeks for magic to keep organs alive after being removed from the host. And that his phylactery appears to be a human heart.

most other phylacteries are inanimate objects, whereas his is potentially a living beating heart.

would living tissue serving as a phylactery be more powerful than using unorganic matter?

Same race vs different race
    dragon bones are clearly very powerful, as evidenced from Lxanvon. The attempted dracoliche, Do'ellin, used dragonbones as the phylactery, and it failed. Why did Varsoon use a human heart instead of a dark elf heart, is there any significance? maybe Do'ellin failure was caused by Amygs incompetence or incomplete knowledge. how do they even know how to make a lich in the first place?
  12. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

13. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

he has many hearts. are you trying to identify this as the human heart phylactery, his original dark elf heart (presumably pierced in battle), or some other heart?
  14. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

I think the problem with Varsoon was he found immortality through the void but discovered there was a glitch and couldnt reverse it
    That's why in the Varsoon volumes you were reading he is so desperate for someone to find an answer to reverse the process - he spent all his life seeking immortality and achieved it but at a cost
    "Hanging from chains were the bodies of hundreds of men, women ... and even ... even children. They were all alive, faces frozen in excruciating pain. He told me that I would find out how to reverse the spell of unlife I had found. He said that in my mind I held the answers, but if I failed him I would join the rest of those living cadavers. That night, I fled the keep and came to you. Please forgive me for what I have done."
    He talks about this cost when you fight him in the void in eq2
    Valdoartus Varsoon says, “Stand with my razor-edged constructs and feel pain I have endured for millenia.”
  15. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

correct me if im wrong, during TSO he is an agent for Anashti. he can travel back to norrath (he was a master thaumaturg and could travel pok, potranquility, ponightmares, podisease). So he is just searching, and made an alliance with her since she lived where he researched? Or was the relationship more exploitive with her demanding service with threat of punishment? I guess I dont get why he is helping her. Is she solving his diseased immortality?
  16. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

idol of mor'tael aka rune of sundering aka rune of ethernere, owned by Everling, divides him up into many. theory: idol was taken from alabaster tower by varsoon, who brought it back to norrath and sold it to Everling, from alabaster tower it can return dead ppl to prime material plane if they choose. touching while on prime material plane creates extra copies of yourself, like a memory leak.
  17. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

during TSO, there are void-touched lifeforms on Norrath. i was just curious about the spinning contructs origins.
    nightbloods - prime
    shadowmen - jal'raeth or maybe Akhevans
    void ripper (lobster) - one of the remembrances?
    lamia - i think dryad, one of the remembrances with the bulb pair or something like that
    constructs - no idea
    shadowbeast - unknown, possible connection to possession or coercer mythical power

even tho evil eye are in OoLS, i think the evil eye are from the nizira branch of norrath's planes.
  18. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

Err no, it's not verified lore. It's what was written in a Neriak's tabloid...
    Here's Varsoon in his "live" form in EQ1, lich form and ghost form from EQ2.
    Doesn't look Teir'Dal to me.
  19. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

Ragnaphore wrote:
    That's his third body :p
  20. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

The Grathok (lobsters) are mentioned in Remembrances: Nyalla-Phon.