API response limit - still 100 after registering SID

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Dalisar, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Dalisar New Member

Hey all, I have been poking around at the census API to get some easy data out of it and it's working well except the return limit of 100 results. I saw to get past that you needed to register a service ID, so I did, and even with using it I'm still getting capped at 100. Has something changed (obviously some of the docs I'm reading are a bit dated) and that's just the cap now, or is there something maybe I missed as a "second step" in signing up? I only got the single email basically saying "congrats, you are registered".

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

You might try looking around this forum.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?forums/developer-announcements.297/
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Or better yet, ask in the EQ2 Data API subforum here. Feldon and Chillispike are two that I'd ask personally.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

That sounds a whole lot like the link I provided.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Different link, it goes directly to the API forum.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Uh huh. Go to the API forum and see what you find.
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Dude is correct. Your link goes to the top level forum, and you then have to click on "Developer Announcements" to get to anything about API info.

His link actually takes you directly there, yours needs an errata update.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  8. Feldon Well-Known Member

Unless you use c:show to specify which data you want returned, you will only get 100 results no matter what. This was necessary due to performance issues as people were requesting 100 characters without any filtering of the data which was hitting tens of megabytes of data in 1 request.

The reason you need to register a serviceID is to be able to make more than a few requests every 60 seconds. People were spamming the service and bringing down the Census server.

If you'd like to learn more about EQ2 Census, I suggest joining the EQ2Wire Census Discord and asking in the #censusui room. We will be happy to answer any and all questions you have, including providing example code, helping write queries, and just generally anything you need to know about using the API. I'll walk you through the whole process if you need.

The Data API forums here have limited value as the Discussion subforum was deleted years ago while the Developer Announcements subforum has been locked for years preventing any new threads from being created. They locked out my FeldonDataHelper account so I couldn't post new documentation, so as a result, the documentation there is all very old.

90% of the documentation for the EQ2 Census API is stuff I've written over the years and you can find it all on my EQ2 Census API forums @ EQ2Wire