AoE's and new bow

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Ademelo, May 4, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Ademelo Guest

Last I read, our AoE's were all 0 range. How come I now have a new bow and constantly getting the "Too close to target" message when using the AoE? Anyone else getting this?

Seems like we're back to square one with this **** again.
  2. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

They are if you use the myth or enervated myth, our bow dictates our absolute minimum range even on CA's apparently. Sure you can find a huge thread some where on here about it.
  3. ARCHIVED-kartikeya Guest

To elaborate, once upon a time our combat art ranges were all solely determined via the bow we had equipped. Since all our ranged combat arts required a bow to work, the minimum range came from the bow itself.
    Then we had our mythical, which had a 0 minimum range, and so the moment it was discovered a certain ex-Dev went and 'nerfed' its ability to have all our combat arts be 0 minimum range--that is, he went through each and every single one of our ranged combat arts and added a minimum range onto the combat art itself, so that we could still auto attack at point blank range, but we couldn't use our combat arts that close. This was not met with happy reactions.
    Fast forward to SF beta, where minimum range was removed from our AEs (for good reason). Unfortunately the dev in charge of doing that did what seemed reasonable...he removed the minimum range that the former dev had put onto the AE combat arts. Except this only means that the combat art once again relied on the bow to determine minimum range. This worked fine throughout beta because our mythical and ennervated eagle's talon both have 0 minimum range. However, our mythical buff does NOT come with this feature (and we've been told that gosh, it's just a minor inconvenience so too bad, so sad), and so the moment you switch out to a new bow with a minimum range, you are once again relegated to minimum range on AEs.
    Yes, it's stupid. And yes, I'm irritated they haven't fixed this yet. But yeah, there you go, that's why it's happening. In addition, Stream of Arrows has a bug where, despite being a blue AE, if you try to cast it on a grouped mob (or in PVP, just someone on the other team) that is too far away from its group members to hit them all, you will get a 'too far away' error message despite the fact that it's a blue AE and therefore it shouldn't matter if group members are too far away to hit or not, it should hit all within range. It would be great if this could be fixed, it's extremely irritating in BGs, and annoying on such fights such as Sages where you can't use the thing 90% of the time because of an erroneous error message (note: slightly adjusting your position, not far enough to get the other mobs in range, will sometimes let you fire it anyway. So yeah, a bug.)
  4. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Believe they did something to Stream so it will still go off if your target is dead, but part of the encounter is still alive. Like its part green AE part blue Ae. So w/e they did for it to do that probably has something to do with it.
  5. ARCHIVED--=Hoss=- Guest

Do the AOEs work better if you macro in a bow switch just for them? Wonder if it would help stream of arrows.
  6. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Hmm might work. Never really bothered me having to deal with 2 meters a little more though, have to be 2 meters away to use the other 8(?) ranged CA's, eagle's talon or not. Now that I think about it I don't ever remember getting an out of range message on stream of arrows. Haven't played much BG's either maybe its more prevalent in PvP.
  7. ARCHIVED-kartikeya Guest

Neiloch@Crushbone wrote:
    Try it in any BG arena other than Gears (in Gears the other team is guaranteed to be close enough for this not to matter), and you'll very quickly see what I'm talking about.
    The only place I've ever run into this as trouble in PVE is fighting Sages, since we typically fight them completely split up across their huge room. It is extremely irritating there, but then, that's an extremely irritating fight regardless. This is also the fight where I've found that sometimes if I slightly adjust where I'm standing it'll de-bug and let me fire, though not always and not often. Most of the time it's a non-issue in PVE because you don't generally have grouped mobs split up that far.
  8. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Well on the Imbued maalus fight I'm doing right now, he spawns these 1 up adds all around the room. With a few right next to me and even more at the opposite side. I'm not having problems using it on the ones right next to me and the far ones are definitely out of range, like 100 meters, and they are linked.
  9. ARCHIVED-kartikeya Guest

I've never had any problem with Maalus's adds. It definitely shows up for me on the Sages fight, however. Like I said, the easiest way to spot it is in BGs, though.
  10. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Holy lord I went to BG's and Stream of Arrows was basically unusable. I did get it to go off a few times without all being in range but that was an extreme exception, not exactly sure why it went off either. Kind of hard to test stuff in a BG, opposite isn't exactly cooperative about standing still and not fighting back lol. I haven't had the problem in PvE yet but yeah, its is definitely bugged in BG's, no doubt about it.