Anyone remember "Patches" the cat from Beta?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-jimmyquinella, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-jimmyquinella Guest

No idea why I thought of this subject, but..

In beta (2004) there was a pretty good post regarding "Patches" the cat that wasn't supposed to die (And yet was killed by snorting pepper).

Just curious if any of the old timers remember the story? (It was pretty amusing, if I recall)
  2. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

jimmyquinella wrote:
    Yeah it was hilarious. To this day I dont think anyone has ever been able to explain how a virtual cat sneezed itself to death, but by golly that is what happened.

Ahhh...favorite EQ2 memories. Well...one was definitely in Beta towards latter part when we were allowed pets in our houses and you could do tricks/feed them/feed them pepper......
    One girl, and I cannot remember her name atm had a cat named Patches. Well...she thought it was SO cute to feed him pepper and watch him sneeze. She fed him SO MUCH PEPPER that...he went through all 9 lives and died. So...here this dead cat is inside her house and she cannot do ANYTHING with him. The Devs suggested that he was probably asleep. But, she cannot wake him up, she cannot pick him up into inventory and place him back...still dead. We suggested everything and so did the game Techs. Then they tried everything. They tried to rez poor Patches...they were going to go so far as to buy her another cat just like Patches and trade them out and not tell her what they did. I think they tried exorcism...everything. The thread on the Beta boards about this cat was SO hilarious from all the suggestions/comments made that I would laugh so hard every day about that thread it would make my sides hurt. As a matter of fact, that is the first thing I would check every day before signing in to Beta...to find out if Patches had miraculously revived.
    My first EQ2 character after Beta and the release of the game is named Ravyn. She is on Antonia Bayle server and has..."RIP Patches" in her profile. It has been there since day one. I still smile when I think about that.
  3. ARCHIVED-Wentil Guest

I do remember that! It was Kursa's cat - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=402867
    I wish there was a save copy of the original post somewhere.

Does anyone remember the last day of beta when they gave everyone Dev powers? There was an epic battle on the newbie isle when a bunch of people turned themselves into dragons and duked it out. i might still have a screenshot of that somewhere...
  4. ARCHIVED-jimmyquinella Guest

yes! thats the one.

I remember a big funeral for him with a screenshot of like 10 wizards trying to rez his body?

surely there is a copy of the forum post somewhere? Devs?