Any Plans to Add an AFK System?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ZUES, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ZUES Well-Known Member

Many new MMO's have implemented some form of AFK leveling systems (fishing, leveling horses, trading, etc). Doing so makes the world look and feel substantially more populated, and adds a really cool dimension to gameplay. Do you guys plan on adding something like this going forward?
  2. Laaw Well-Known Member

I hope not, would rather see active players in game. not just merc's killing mobs
    Justaplayer, Jrox and Febrith like this.
  3. Carni Active Member

I've never heard of such an idea in an mmo, and I certainly hope it never comes to EQ two.
    Jrox likes this.
  4. Jrox Well-Known Member

We already have enough players dragging people's toon's around while they can't be on. Let's not encourage it further please.
  5. ZUES Well-Known Member

Did anyone say anything about AFK leveling combat? No. My question did not pertain to combat at all.

However, since we're on the subject, they're giving away levels like candy. So perhaps it's actually not that far off to suggest some sort of diminished AFK leveling mechanic for XP, leveling green adorns and AA's. Paid subscriptions only type of thing. Players do it anyway, may as well capitalize on it.
  6. ZUES Well-Known Member

There are many new MMO's that do this. It's a great idea actually. It also discourages players trying to cheat by utilizing third party software. It allows the devs to control it. If you play those games you'll see they it's a very effective means to make the world feel more populated than it actually is. It's mainly used for crafting and stuff that is related to secondary time consuming gameplay. It's a genius idea. They've actually incorporated AFK items into the crafting system as well as the cash shops. So it's a great way to make money too. It's very popular with the player base. It's not what you think, believe me. It's a well oiled machine designed to keep players online, maintain their subscriptions and obtain a passive income of in game currency. It's balanced and adds a complete new dimension to gameplay. Hitting your power button is very inefficient and will directly impact your gameplay.

I'm scared to name another game in these forums as RadarX would almost certainly ban me.
  7. Suraklin Member

I know of a game that allows offline leveling for subscribers. It's based off a movie with a Barbarian in it. I forget how many levels a month it gives that can be used to level any character of your choosing. I know I leveled my Ranger pretty much on offline leveling though.
  8. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

It is a great idea, that some take the wrong way. It has nothing to do with combat, that part needs to be addressed.

I play 1 MMO that does it, and it makes the world seem more lively. You can see docks full of people fishing, roads with people traveling on horses.... while all being afk. Just makes them no different than NPCs traveling around.

Do I think EQ2 is a game that could do this though? With the way fishing works and horses and other systems: No :( Unless they just have it like a continuous emote that plays. Just not sure EQ2 could benefit as much as the other does. I am sure I know which game your talking about.
  9. ZUES Well-Known Member

Oh ya I forgot about that. Ya, no, this is not what I was referring to. That game does have a fairly reasonable amount of offline XP and it is unique how they do it. But I was thinking more online AFK. One game I play from time to ttime has an AFK horse leveling system in which each horse levels to 30. After 30 you can breed the horse and receive a foal. Leveling increases your "Training" skill, which in turn increases the chance at rare horse abilities. They've also included an AFK fishing system. It's a very well done system overall. I hope the EQ2 devs have seen this and know what I'm talking about. It's pretty cool. You guys would like it. Trust me.
  10. Jrox Well-Known Member

So back to the OP's thoughts... Maybe should have mentioned the whole non combat thing upfront. If your talking about folks who are AFK and just are interacting on an emote level that may actually be kinda cool. I just don't want to see a bunch of grps on afk grinding xp of any kind.

Too many bots running around for people not even really playing as it is. And using said grps to SLR and get rich off of it. While I don't make the rules and from the way it's been explained it's not cheating, I really don't care for it. Just mho...
  11. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yea I was thinking more on this after my last post saying I wasn't sure this would work well for EQ2. But without taking in how other games do it, I think they could do some cool things with this one, and using emotes in certain ways.

Scripts you can run to have your character do certain things around town. Visiting certain places, sitting at tables in bars and drinking, walking around town.... list is pretty long of what you could do.

And definitely adding that leveling system to them to, adding more to it :)
    Jrox likes this.
  12. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Absulutely, 1000% NOT on board with this :)
  13. Chrisworld Active Member

I'm pretty sure the exact thing you're suggesting is actually against the terms of service, I read it somewhere. Something about letting your character sit around and have it's pets or mercs just auto kill stuff to level/gain AA by not playing the game.
  14. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

If I could check a box - on my character sheet that said [x] Use as NPC for brokering items - and I avoided broker fees by allowing DBG to "zombify" my toon while I'm not on... I'd be OK with that. Rather than going to my house to click on six different boxes of crud - I'd be a wandering NPC somewhere in FP or Qeynos that you could click on to buy from me - that'd be sweet.

But allowing me to increase the performance of my toon while not actually playing? Neh. Pass. You gotta understand, if the powers that be were all about breaking down the monotony of doing some repetitive tasks... there would be skill baubles / tradeskill baubles / all manner of baubles on the marketplace for purchase.... because that's how the shape of things are now.

No.. DBG wants us online - in game... for as many hours as we can stand it. Be it leveling a TS, bringing up harvesting, or chasing old sig lines / heritage / faction quests just to keep up with the joneses who have their epic 2...

On a side note: it doesn't take many actual players to force a new instance of a zone.. so lets say you'd have 10-15 zombies in zone 1 - add 15 actual players - then a new zone would spawn.. with only 5 people in it. And ya couldn't jump over to zone 1 - because full.
  15. Tillamook Member

Wish they would make all NPCs attack-able like in EQ1 where if a NPC gets smart you can take them out.. I miss the wholesale slaughter I could do in Freeport with my Shaman in EQ1.. Those Freeport people got some lip I tell you...
    Zeddicious likes this.
  16. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

<clicks on banker> Ouch! That's your balance?!?

<me> why you little sh..