Another returning player

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Peter Kaïju, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Peter Kaïju New Member

Good day everyone.
    I played everquest back at launch, and on and off for a few years afterwards.
    It never felt like it was the right time to invest myself in the game, and it has always been this thing that bugged me, considering how many MMO I played in the past.
    Anyway, I now have all the time in the world give it a serious shot (guilding etc), so here I am.

I am posting this because I created a character on Antonia, and after a few checks, it seems the server is... Not terribly overcrowded (to put it mildly).

What's the best way to experience the game right now ? Starting fresh on Varsoon ?
    I don't mind paying a sub, but I want to be sure there's a healthy community there before I do.

Thank you.

[Edit] : Turns out I'm an idiot and can't perform a simple search, the results were only showing for the zone I was in. I am now reassured about the live server population. The question about the best way to experience the game still stand though !
    Feara likes this.
  2. Arandar Well-Known Member

I'd suggest playing on Varsoon. It's not going to be exactly as you've remembered things, but you're going to find that it's much easier to find groups and experience all of the content as you level up and the server moves through the expansion content.

Playing on the standard ruleset servers will largely be a solo experience for you until you reach the level cap, and even then, gearing up for heroic content will require help from a guild (and frankly at this point, probably also being carried). These days, heroics effectively have gear requirements that will require either a significant investment of time and/or real money. You can't just hit level 125 and jump into a group to run dungeons. That style of gameplay has been completely eliminated once you've reached end-game.

TLEs provide a much more traditional experience. There are no minimum stat requirements, no artificial "gear score"-like gatekeeping (namely Resolve, the new and not-so-much-improved version of Critical Mitigation, if you were around during TSO). You hit the appropriate level, you find a group, you jump in and start blowing up pixels. On Varsoon, there's no long signature quest line you need to complete before you're even allowed to enter a dungeon, like there is on the live servers.

Anyway, if Varsoon is something you think you might be interested in, I wrote a few things that may help.

» Varsoon TLE Server
    »
    Kingdom of Sky (current expansion as of this post)
    » Fallen Dynasty (current mid-expansion content)
    Carynn and Feara like this.
  3. Muzikal New Member

That guide is legit legendary. This game is absolutely scarce for information otherwise and I've lived and died by that guide.
  4. Arandar Well-Known Member

For anyone who's interested, I've started working on an article for EoF on Varsoon. It has some rough edges, but I should have it wrapped up before it unlocks in April.

» Echoes of Faydwer
  5. Muzikal New Member

I apparently can't PM you but I did throw together a list for the Raid target master strikes in the xpac. I'd also add that the Hunter Items at mid expac are called "Faydark Hunters" - I literally couldn't find this information online. Even the EQ2 wiki quest for EoF doesn't show the actual items.

EQ2 Raid Boss Master Strike List

Echoes of Faydwer Raid Mobs:

The Emerald Halls –

Treant
    Bixie
    Centaur
    Fairy?
    Dragon (Drakota)

Freethinker Hideout –

Werewolf
    Vampire

Mistmoore –

Vampire (Shocking)

Throne of New Tunaria –

Golem
    Vampire

The Estate of Unrest (^3) –

Golem
    Ghost

The Obelisk of Blight –

Shadowed Man
    Nightblood
    Arandar likes this.
  6. Allentanks New Member

Thanks for these links! Great job and very nice for new returning players to read!