Another returning player looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sodoku, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Sodoku New Member

Ok folks, it's been a while since I've ventured forth to the EQII version of Norrath, and I'm honestly not too sure how serious a trip I will make this time. Serious enough I guess that I purchased the lastest expac (most expensive version to get all of the stuff that comes with it) - and to sign up for 3 months of All Access.

Still - It's entirely possible I could play a week and drop it, or end up sticking around for quite some time (months? Years?) So I thought I'd give myself the best chance possible by asking for a little advice before I really start digging in.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) I love melee DPS... but I tend to be better at ranged... so I'll go with what I'm better at and say I'm interested in ranged DPS.

2) I have no preference in regard to pet / no pet

3) I'm looking for something that can solo to my heart's desire - but still be desirable in groups (and who knows, maybe eventually raids)

4) I'd prefer something that isn't completely rigid when it comes to performing well in group / raid situations (i.e. hit these 5 buttons in this order, then do it again... and again... and again...)

5) I'm far from the worst MMO player (been at it for years) but also not bleeding edge good - I typically end up in guilds that are a step or two below top end guilds and perform well in them (although TBH, this is usually when I play a healer)... so I'd prefer a class that doesn't necessarily require a very top end player to perform reasonably well.

I hope my list of wants isn't too outrageous, and I look forward to reading responses :)
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I'm a very casual player and a roleplayer at heart, so all I can suggest is this. Relax and play to have fun. Look for a guild that fits your playing style and your goals that also you will fit in theirs. (You might look for a guild that is looking to build to raid one day knowing that they wont be raiding soon, but you can help them to that goal, instead of trying to get into a raiding guild now). This game is more fun with friends and guildies (and both), so I do encourage you to find them. As for what class to play, I cant say. I play the class that is fun to me and my guild lets us play how we want, but we are a casual RP guild, not serious about raiding and such.

Others will be along to give better advice as to what classes are, ATM, the best to play for DPS.
    Argosunited likes this.
  3. Sodoku New Member

Thanks Meneltel - one other question for the community as well...

I plan to restart (obviously) - TLE server or no? I'm thinking I might prefer that experience if it doesn't have any significant drawbacks.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

One "drawback", less content due to it being earlier expansions. Also, you have to pay to play there, where you can be F2P on live to make sure you really DO like the game enough to pay for it. But you are already paying for it, so I do suggest you try the FG to see if its your cup of tea or not.
  5. Kheldar Active Member

There are still a lot of guilds on the Live servers that play the lower levels, and on Live, you don't have to pay for the subscription. I'd look around on live first. I know Halls of Fate has a few guilds that are level locked by agreement, and encourage newcomers.
  6. Lukasha Member

I would play on a Live server first, not a TLE (Progressive server), to see all the game mechanics and current changes. You also can use all game items currently available that way. On a TLE you would have to wait for an expansion to unlock to use many game features. Live servers are easy mode for sure, and the xp rate is much higher and faster than TLE.

Sounds like you may play EQ. EQ2 is just as large and immersive IMO, it is just different in many ways. Some say it is easier, and it certainly is that for solo play.

Pick any of the Live Servers (Traditional) on the list. In fact, maybe make a toon on each of the 4 live server and check things out. Search the Guild window for a guild, or ask in General Chat. Pick a good guild that lets you level at your pace. There is no need to Power Level in this game, it is very easy to molo all the way. There are 3 separate new starting areas (New Halas, Gorowind, or Neriak from the character creation, dependent on race/class), and there are 2 original starting areas (Queen's Colony and Overlord's Outpost), with independent quest lines. There is no need to go to the original starting areas, as the new ones are designed to start you at level 1. You may wish to though, on 2 toons, just to get the lore and see them. Gear wise the new areas are better.

Since you like melee DPS and Ranged, try the Ranger or beastlord (has pet), both are scout classes, that use chain. I would say the Beastlord is the most solo friendly. Maybe Try a Mystic/Defiler (shaman), or Warden/Fury (Druid), or Templar/Inquisitor (cleric) in the Priest line, since these are healers too. I personally prefer the Warden, I play a melee warden, in the action, up front. One can molo (use Mercenary), easily all the way to 100, using quested gear, or crafted gear, and adding a few drops here and there.

Just my opinion. Have fun!
  7. Lukasha Member

8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to give u the honest and brutal truth about the live servers. Fact is that live servers are the worst case of pay to win i have ever seen. Im not saying its the worst case of P2W ever made but its the worst i have seen never the less. The only P2W u will find on TLE as far as i know is a mount and familiar u can claim by having purchased the Premium edtition of the latest xpac, its a 130ish dollar price u have to pay if u dont want to be sub-par, but u already have that so no biggie for u. Unless u are ok with "real cash makes or breaks ur character" go for the TLE server.
  9. Lukasha Member

I am always confused with the Pay to Win comments. I personally have never had to pay for any item in the Marketplace (Cash Shop) to win. There are many items that make things easier and quicker, but none I have to buy to win. I have played since near launch, when the game was only pay to play. The game has become so much more easier now than it was then, much , much more easy. I just don't see it. The company does need to make money though, that is why they have the game.

Anyway, just my opinion! Have fun, explore, craft, quest, do dungeons, etc. Raid if you like (no you do not have to be top tier to raid).
  10. Kyrieath Member

I suspect a lot of that 'pay to win' complaint is based in the fact you have to have a subscription to use specific items even after earning them. While I don't fully agree with the complaint after having been exposed to some pretty painful pay to win games where the best of anything had to be bought directly from the cash shop, I can see how some people might view it that way.

I do wish Daybreak handled their membership benefits a bit differently to negate this not entirely deserved reputation the game's getting, but that's on them to sort out.
  11. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Nope, this is indeed pretty much how EQ2 is going now. For example, read the "upgrading your familiar" thread - you need to pay an awful lot of money to buy crates which will only give you a random familiar to use to level up your own. You cannot get these season 3 familiars in game, ONLY in the cash shop. A fully levelled familiar gives you a huge boost to your own stats.
  12. Kyrieath Member

Then I stand corrected- I admit I never bothered much with familiars as I'm a decorator and tradeskiller before anything else (and trust me- I've a world of complaints about how those aspects of the game are being treated, but this isn't the thread for that). So I never really came into contact with that mess. Sad state of affairs indeed. :(
    Meneltel and Rhodris like this.
  13. Oranorn Member

Familiars that level other familiars do drop in the game, you do not need to purchase them unless you want to level your familiar quickly.
  14. Kyrieath Member

Aah- so they aren't better than pre-existing ones that can be attained via standard play as was implied? Then I stand corrected a second time- with some relief.
  15. Carynn Well-Known Member

They are indeed better if you buy them. Go to the familiar thread. A general sum up is: it will take you years upon years to reach a level 10 ethereal familiar if you rely on in-game drops and a maxxed out familiar gives you a HUGE bonus that you can't obtain in game any other way. If you don't care about familiars or their bonuses, years won't matter to you. (I haven't even figured out /how/ to level one). If you do, or if you raid and your guild does, then you'll be PTW out the nose.
    Rhodris and Dude like this.
  16. Rubick Well-Known Member

Ascensions, a premium xpac, and sathirian coins/server xfer are the pay to win aspects. I skipped KA and came back at the start of PoP. I had to spend about $300 to have a chance on the parse as a T1 dps and about 400-450 to be on a completely level playing field. If that's not pay to win then I don't know what is.
    Rhodris likes this.