Another GU, Another Lack of Change

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Sydares, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED--=Hoss=- Guest

I say do it. It won't really stress relations because you know they will delete your posts. But it might get them to come here and throw another bone.
    So whatever became of the dev during beta that said he saw some things wrong with ranger and wanted to fix them as soon as he was given time to? That was fireflyght wasn't it?
  2. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Venez@Permafrost wrote:
    When you do it give me the link to your blog post or facebook or twitter or whatever medium you use and I will cross link to it with my blog, facebook account and twitter.
    We oculd even start a facebook page called SOE sucks and encourage people to submit their horror stories of SOE interaction. It would be funny to see how many fans we get.
  3. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

The fact that people are even considering this would definitely get me off my butt and do SOMETHING for rangers as a dev, if only to slow them down lol.

Seriously just upping ranged CA damage would go a long way imo, literally just going to the code, highlighting some numbers, hitting "delete" and replacing it with even a slightly higher number. Even if it didn't fix a lot of problems it would be something small in the vague direction we want.

To me its QUITE clear their focus is more 'new' subscribers, hoping efforts will earn more subscribers and overtake the amount of disgruntled players leaving by a large amount.........
    lol
  4. ARCHIVED-kartikeya Guest

-=Hoss=- wrote:
    It was Xelgad. I had a brief flicker of hope, but the absolute silence since Beta ended has pretty much blown that out again. Fyreflyte seems (or at least seems to be communicating the impression) obsessed with the whole fighting at ranged thing, as if that were somehow our biggest complaint. Sure, it would be fantastic if it worked, but it still won't FIX THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM. Which is that we need a serious DPS boost and some small utility attention. We need a revamp along the same lines as SKs and coercers have received in the past.
    We need a developer to sit down, go over our class with a fine toothed comb, compare our performance to that of other classes, and then adjust accordingly. I played both a SK and a coercer before said revamps, and I can say without hesitation that their issues, while great, were not as freaking unbelievably bad as ranger issues have been for years, and years, and years. (And while they certainly still have certain issues, as all classes do, they're in a far better place now than they were).
    And we need it to be a developer willing to dedicate themselves to the job, rather than certain other ex-developers who obviously considered the entire matter an annoyance and weren't willing to actually sit down and do the work.
  5. ARCHIVED-billchivers Guest

Honestly, they aren't going to fix rangers. Publically shaming them about it isn't going to help; they won't want to be percieved as caving to that short of thing because it would set a bad precedent.
    Frankly, if you want to get their attention you need to get a significant number of people that feel strongly enough about it to unsub, and then organise them to all unsub at the same time. People drifting away from the game in ones and twos isn't noticeable to them. But if you got say 50 rangers on each server to do it, enough to put a 5 figure dent in the monthly cash flow, along with a private petition, maybe they would take customer satisfaction a bit more seriously.
    (I would imagine they project cash flow versus account expiry, so you might not need to actually have your account time out before they noticed it. You could always resub after a couple of weeks.)
  6. ARCHIVED--=Hoss=- Guest

Ranja wrote:
    There already was a website like this. I don't think I'm allowed to say the name of it on the SOE boards, but originally all sorts of domains like SOEsucks linked back to it. It turned into a pretty popular place.
    kartikeya wrote:
    What you need is a dev that plays the class. All the BS aside about devs buffing thier own classes with evil intentions ... I'm pretty well convinced that the classes who don't get love are the ones who don't have enough devs that know them well enough to come up with cool ideas for them.
    I'd be worried if random_dev1 was given the task to go over my class with a fine toothed comb. In the past, they said they judged class balance based on game-wide parses (and rangers were king). I'd love to see what the balance looks like now based on that. I wonder if they even still look at such things.
  7. ARCHIVED-Boise Guest

Many issues here..no doubt. Brenlo no doubt caused allot of "strife" between Devs (think Aeralik and Fyre here). Now, we have a new Senior producer and still no fixes. Assassins are running away w/ parses while rangers are now being left behind by other substandard classes like Swashs.
  8. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

I would love to know what metrics they are using to determine balance. What I fear the most is they are 'averaging out' numbers/quality across play situations. Such as solo, group, raid, PvP, rather than looking at them independently. Seeing rangers do well in PvP and solo, and good enough in groups and just figuring it evens out with poor raid attendance/performance, when balance should most definitely not be done this way. And I've said this before, I can't see any hugely bad impact that would come from just increasing our DPS. Worst case we do OP'd DPS but we still have little to no utility or any other trait so who could possibly complain a great deal? Wouldn't be nearly as bad as just about any other class doing overpowered DPS.
  9. ARCHIVED-Osp Guest

Neiloch@Crushbone wrote:
    There isnt 50 level 90 Rangers per server to promote a mass exodus let alone 50 that raid.
  10. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Yeah I would have to say raiding rangers all unsubbing wouldn't exactly show a dramatic dip in subscriber numbers. Most 'rangers' are people just screwing around in BG's, soloing or groups, and most of them are alts.

Since no one there is playing a ranger, clearly, they probably just look at the stats they have. Fixing rangers wouldn't yield the amount of positive results as other things would. Popular, more played classes will always get attention first. I'm honestly waiting for another big PvP nerf for rangers at this point.

Fortunate enough not be getting beat by 20k on the ZW. usually I get 30k ZW or little lower but we've only just killed toxx and started getting T3 legs.
  11. ARCHIVED-Raahl Guest

If I am wrong please correct me. And I know that group makeup makes a big difference. So YMMV.
    Here's the main problem with Rangers and Raiding.
    • Casters have Troubadors.
    • Melee has Dirges.
    • Ranged has nobody.
    Another problem is that Rangers are not doing T1 damage. Just looking at some of the parses that the T1 damage classes are putting out there.
    Assassins: 40-50k on average, some insane spikes with a dirge buff.
    Wizards: 35-45k on average, again with some spikes.
    Warlocks: 40-50k on average, with a few very large parses (suspect it was in a large group encounter).
    Rangers: 30-40k on average, with a parses around 45k.
    If the developers could eek out another 5-10k average for Rangers I think we'd be more acceptable for raiding.
    Another issue with raiding is we don't have any hate transfer. This makes us less desireable. Not that I'm asking for one, but bringing something to the table utility wise would help out.
    I really enjoy playing my Ranger. Lucky for me I'm not in a hardcore raiding guild and will be able to join in raids.
  12. ARCHIVED-glowsinthedark Guest

Dirges are just fine for rangers, the only thing they offer that we can't really take advantage of is BC, but all their other buffs are very nice for us
  13. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

thats actually a big reason why i want rangers to have ranged flurry besides the obvious boost in DPS. Really depressing where basically any melee except a bard is better for BC.
  14. ARCHIVED-Raahl Guest

glowsinthedark wrote:
    Doesn't their CoB only affect melee? Which is what maybe 1/2 the damage that a ranger does?
  15. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

With the latest changes to potency become uncapped as crit bonus, the gap between Sins and ranger will even become wider.Sure it will help our dps to improve, but Mages, Sins and Swashies will benefit more from it.
    That means we all hoped for some tweaks for us, it turns out every other t1 t2 dps class gets a better boost......
  16. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Raahl wrote:
    no CoB procs off ranged. Was changed awhile back in our KoS revamp.
  17. ARCHIVED-FearDiadh Guest

I have been raiding as a ranger since KoS and feel like I have a pretty good idea of why the changes are so slow.
    The problem is that we are overpowered solo, slightly underpowered groupwise and quite underpowered raid wise. How do you adjust one without affecting the others? We need more combat art damage to be competitive in a raid, but that would only make the solo situation even more overpowered.
    I hate to complain without offering possible solutions, but I am here to complain about the state of rangers. So, here are my solutions:
    Add group and raid only abilities? ie: Pack Leader - A self buff that gives us increased damage while in a FULL group.
    Add more utility to make us desirable to raids? I don't like this one but it is one way to deal with it. ie: Make the deagro into a transfer. Make Focus Aim raid wide.
    Add some support class buffs that people will want to give to the ranger? ie: Illy could offer a buff that gave 20% increase to ranged combat arts or something.
    Fix the hit box problems. This is going to make a minor difference and can not stand alone. Even with this fixed, we will still be underpowered and unwanted for raids.
    Add bottomless quivers. Why do I have to pay an extra 1p night over what assassins and sorcerers are paying to do damage? It is wrong for one class to be expected to support an otherwise poorly though out tradeskill. Give woodworkers some other way to make money. Also, if my raid guild did not have me to use up those void woods, they could sell them for 10p each. While they improve ranger dps a little and lower raid ranger arrow costs, they are yet another reason to view a ranger as a burden on the raid force. Leave the ranger and make an extra 10p.
  18. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Made my peace with arrows, they have no intention of ever giving us anything that would make it where we aren't losing money on arrows ever. I would liked to have seen the red adornment for Focus Aim make it raid wide as well.
    I'm kind of on the fence about buffs that are dependent on group/raid size, its kind of artificial. But something like a damage increase depending on how many people are within about 50 meters grouped/raided with would be nice, slap it on top of offensive stance. Topping out on a full raid and bringing the DPS up to par, while not increasing solo DPS at all. Make it go on a curve too so that can't just get a nice big boost from duo/trio boxing other accounts. Hard points like boosting at 6, 12, 18 and 24 people wouldnt work well since 1 person being in the raid or not could make or break your DPS.
    I agree with your solo/group/raid power thing. But its BS that any aspect is used against another. How well I solo should have ZERO bearing on raid effectiveness getting fixed, and this goes for all other aspects. PvP shouldn't be considered when balancing grouping etc. They have ways to limit skills in PvP, why not just up our PvE stuff while keeping our PvP damage the same?
    My guilds SK can solo erudin library and theres no way I can do that on my ranger without significantly more difficulty, some mobs would porbably stop me outright. Summoners in general can solo harder stuff in tighter spots, they just can't solo easier stuff as fast as a ranger. So the excuse our solo power would be even more op'd holds no weight with me.
    The game can look perfectly balanced on paper but that means absolutely nothing if the players do not perceive it as balanced. And right now the players perceive rangers as underpowered on raids and groups. Fix it. Damage is our main problem then utility. I try to purposely harp on damage more though because if they ever do decide to take a look at us thats what I want fixed, I don't want to give them an 'out' to not up our DPS and say 'well you wanted more utility so we upped that a small amount instead.'
  19. ARCHIVED-FearDiadh Guest

Something needs to be done. Is there any class out there that is less wanted for groups and raids? When was the last time anyone saw, "group of 5 lf ranger then gtg" or "raid guild looking for able ranger". I never see anyone request a ranger for anything. If I apply for a broad 'lf dps', I get turned down half the time after they find out I am a ranger.
  20. ARCHIVED-Osp Guest

Jack@Lucan DLere wrote: