Announcement Regarding Census

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Gninja should remember this. Lost Faith signed up for Dreadcutter and we were the only ones for that period of time and they mentioned lag tests because we threw out dumbfire pets.
    Feldon likes this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Turning off custom UIs is bad news... but thanks for posting it here rather than leaving it solely in Discord.
  3. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

While making changes to try and improve game play and lag is a good thing. Going after the things that a majority of the players still use and other than the their teammates, are some of the only reasons many still enjoy the game just a bad decision getting worse.

Turning off the census was never a good idea, but it showed there was little to no change.

Turning off the 3rd party UI's is a slap in the face of many of the players that are still here. The generic UI is pathetic and useless. While some continue to use it, many refuse to swap back since it is missing so much and feels like we are back in EQ1. Custom UI's have been used by an incredible amount of players over the years, and even when the player base was multiple folds higher than it is now, the lag was never this bad, even back then when their was more custom UI's than anyone could hope to try out.

The terrible lag that we had this weekend feels like something an outside entity, but the resulting lag after it was resolved was a drastic improvement. Now could be the zones were light, could be the log in servers were light, but surprisingly enough even contested kael for a limited time had very decent lag even thought it was filled just about to max with players. I have to say, there still something on the server side that is the culprit. I don't know if the "screen grabbers" looking for bots is to blame, or some other misc software.

But before targeting things like the census and custom UI's, I would have liked to hear about the Dev's making changes over on Test to see if anything changes before taking it to Live. Additionally I would hope to hear the Dev's are looking more at the physical and software sides on the DB side, who knows maybe some utilization monitoring to see what is eating up the priorities.
  4. Victisa Active Member

i am not really happy about custom UI's being disabled. :( they never really caused a problem before but why now?
    Rosyposy, Geroblue and Rebelde like this.
  5. soya New Member

That's it, I'm taking a break.
  6. Rebelde Active Member

As a healer, default UI sucks. I hope this test only takes 1 week (being generous, two days is enough to see if 3rd party UIs are the cause of lag, even when I doubt it) or next week I'll be off.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  7. Corran Member

DO NOT DISABLE THIRD PARTY UI .. YOUR DEFAULT UI IS SIMPLY PUT "PATHETIC"

how on earth can you even think something on a CLIENT side to cause SERVER lag ? do they also cause the Direct X crash issues that EVERYONE gets which also comes from the SERVER ?
  8. Bludd Well-Known Member

wow okay the post regarding disabling third party ui must be thorough and spell out all the ramifications this entails

because i dont think no one uses totally default ui? for instance does this impact eq2maps?
  9. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

If you need to figure out if Custom UI are an issue - then do it on TEST - that is what is for. If you need more on test to figure this out - then ask.

Now on the other hand - The change made on the PQs, delaying and spacing out the exit from the zone - helped with lag in Library a lot. That change felt to me like "too much traffic" at once for the servers to handle.
    Hiza likes this.
  10. Marae Well-Known Member

I use the default UI; have done so for years. Granted I don't raid or do much else fancy, but the default works fine for me. I'd probably feel lost trying to use something different, so I feel the pain of those who are facing UI changes. That said, I want to note that it's standard procedure in troubleshooting to rule things out. Sometimes you are fairly certain that something is not the problem, but you disable it anyway just to rule it out. I know it's inconvenient for those who use the third party UIs, as it was for those who depend on Census when it was disabled, but Daybreak did give us plenty of warning and time to make adjustments, which is admirable.

As for testing it on a different server, it's hard to say if that would actually be a productive test or not, since it introduces more variables.
    Nuhvohk, Cyrrena and Spindle like this.
  11. Tkia Well-Known Member

Well eq2maps is basically a custom UI.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  12. Feldon Well-Known Member

Serious raiding EQ2 with the stock UI, especially for healers, seems implausible. The default UI gets overwhelmed with detrimental effects and does not provide the tools necessary to keep up with curing. I anticipate a 2 week self-imposed vacation by your players.

I'm appreciative that Census has been brought back.
  13. Beee Well-Known Member

A much better way: If there are 2 ways to get a value - connenct and get.. log every get and you will see if there are any mass of gets.

Raiding with default UI is not an option on live - it's a NOGO or time for a vacation
    Agarth, Rosyposy and Bjoerdr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.