Anashti Sul and Innoruuk, Mother and Father of All Vampires?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Dusano, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

We know that vampires are related to Anashti Sul but are they previous to all undead kind or did they appear at the same time? Later everything points to Innoruuk creating vampires with the ewer of sul but the gods were worried about undeath being a threat at the first day of its creation? Unless the waters of life created vampires before the others it makes no sense? The other undead are mindless necromancer pets with some exceptions like vampires,liches,spirits,etc.
    But the true question: if vampires existed before Innoruuk used the ewer why none of them mentions Anashti Sul? I understand that most people forgot anashti sul existence after her banishment but her return should have triggered some memories and not everyone forgot her existence fully and vampires are functionally immortal if let in peace and they probably would not forget her.....mayong is good exemple he seems to know a lot about some missing parts of norrath past....
    Lidahn likes this.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

What we know about Mayong is-- if the female from the Plane of Hate who looks almost identical to his physical features are anything to go by-- he is a member of the Ydal, the original Dark Elves who came before the Dark Elves. I don't remember if it was ever revealed how he came upon his vampirism, but I wouldn't put it past him coming across Anashti'Sul's influences. She was the original Goddess of Health, so I wouldn't put it past her to be one of the original gods of whom Roehn Theer had slain most of before the current pantheon came along.

I think the affliction of undeath was around well before Innoruuk came around, but we don't really have an objective timeframe for when she ruled and when he arrived.
    Lidahn, Breanna and Dusano like this.
  3. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

there is some ties between disease and undeath perhaps vampirism is the result of the corruption of the waters of life? Anashti Sul had an god of disease as enemy in the past called Xul'Varien and another thing about this corruption is....did this caused Anashti Sul physical appearence to change or was her claim over undeath?
    Lidahn likes this.
  4. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

when Brell Serilis came to norrath he made a pact with some gods and its know that some gods like zek refused his offer perhaps Anashti Sul at some point was called by Brell or like Innoruuk found out about the pact and came to norrath at some point
    Lidahn likes this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the problem with The Brief History of Norrath: It's hard to tell for how long the old gods existed before we're told how history played out.
    Lidahn and Dusano like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I don't remember where I red this , but it might be when I got Anashti Sul as deity .
    Anashti Sul once was the Prime Goddess of life and health , the Prime healer .
    She decided that her responsibility was to make her job perfect , so if people die anyway despite her best effort to keep them healthy , she would have failed .
    So she made some people immortal .
    The results were anything close to perfect . some of her creations bodies just rotted , others thirsted for blood and such .
    But no matter how bad it was Anashti was delighted .
    The other gods where mortified and banished her ,and chose a new god for her job .
    Lidahn likes this.
  7. Obzidian Lore Lover & Innoruuk Enthusiast

So, a few things:
      • We know that there is a "Norrath that was before" ...before the pacts of the gods, before dragons on Norrath. We know this because we have the glaufaye, the xulous, the shiliskin and other races like that. We were told of the shiliskin who were around before the dragons. Mayong also claims to have seen the dragons arrive on Norrath. I think that we have a "Norrath that was before our current gods of nature and influence" Then recorded history (or really, the only history we still mostly have access to) is the history of the dragons + beyond. I think Anashti comes from the Norrath that was before.
      • Speaking of dragons -- I believe that, at least at the release of EQ2, there were still first brood dragons around so they would be super ancient as well.
      • Anashti released undeath on Norrath and that's what got her in trouble with many of the other gods, who didn't like undeath. She never had an issue with it because she was "curing" the "disease" of death. I think Anashti's "second" appearance is because of the influence that the Void and then her worshippers had upon her. Think about it, her worshippers on Norrath were undead zombified elves. And their worship was what allowed her to manifest on Norrath and free herself from the void.
      • There are multiple forms of vampirism on Norrath but almost all of them seem to have come with mixing mortal blood with planar blood.
      • Mayong Mistmoore is one of the few surviving ydal. Vampirism is presumed to be the curse of the ydal.
        • From the Talisman of Ydal items:
    From former EQ Dev Zaphax

• So, a huge portion of Norrathian vampirism is ydallian or ewer of Sul'Dae derived. But the ydal were made by Innoruuk and lived in the Plane of Hate. They might not have known about Anashti'Sul. We don't know if Innoruuk got access to the Ewer from Anashti or if it was after she was banished. My assumption here is that the "curse" that the ydal experienced was a type of mindless vampirism. This is based on the fact that a lot of the vampires that you see in Hate (both in 1 and 2) aren't exactly rational. I also think that ydallian vampirism creates chains of servitude (also potentially seen as a curse) and that perhaps the race was slowly unable to reproduce because of the undeath. Whatever it was, Mayong, as the oldest living vampire on Norrath (at least to our knowledge), still might not have had knowledge of Anashti'Sul originally. He's also very known to keep information close to his chest. Also, why would he spread the word of any god that his own god had helped banish? And why draw the attention of the gods by speaking about a god they had banished?

• I think he probably knew but didn't share because there was no reason for him to share. He's still looking for a way to save the ydal. And missing his beloved Zanne.

• We know the names of the gods that Roehn Theer killed: Paixao, Pingyuan Diqu, Anquillacion and Zou Kunnen. We don't know exactly what happened to Xul'Varien. I think he was probably killed by Roehn Theer after Anashti's banishment. I think he was killed before Theer killed the others because there is a shrine to him in the Spire with th other lost gods and that shrine was presumably made by Zou Kunnen, or at least her creations.
    Lidahn, Breanna and Dusano like this.
  8. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Zanna was vampire too?!
    But the other norrath had diferences like some events went different maybe Sul never existed there?!
    Xul'Varien probably was killed by Theer due to the power vaccum that Anashti Sul left after she was banished?! Without Health?!
    Lidahn likes this.
  9. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

The devs need to expand her lore and the others too....
    Lidahn likes this.
  10. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Another thing about Her....if you play her questline you will notice that most of the rituals you find on gorowyn and other places are necromantic in nature......she was pretty obssessed with death

Speaking of death......the jal'raeth race is also obssessed with death and experiment on it (except nife now a god) and they are immortal in theory Anashti Sul created them? Or maybe their creation is the true reason why she was banished?
    Lidahn likes this.