An open letter to Xelgad about Templar class balance

Discussion in 'Templar' started by ARCHIVED-Ymarik, Jul 3, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Ymarik Guest

For over a year now I've been posting here on this forum and also e-mailing you directly with repeated requests for templar class balance to be examined.
    To recap, here is a list of major class issues:
    1. We cannot solo cure. We must coordinate cures with another healer in our group.This would be alright if we contributed significantly to the group in other ways (keep reading!)
    2. Our reactives do not work with subsequent hits from flurry and multiattack. So, despite our best stuff being on the tank, he can still be flurried/MA straight down right through our heals. So, our healing just ain't what it used to be....it's not bad healing, in fact it's rather awesome for that first hit, but beyond that...
    3. Our DPS sucks. Our healing stance nerfs our DPS, our DPS stance nerfs our healing, and there's no happy balance in between. We are the only healer class with this cross to bear.
    4. Our group combat buffs are generally considered inferior or only a tad superior to the inquisitor's. We make the group tougher? So does the inquisitor, with spells that are functionally identical. Our stoneskin is exquisite and beautiful and probably the best thing we have going, though affects only the tank. The inquisitor gives a groupwide reuse speed buff.
    5. Mechanics changes have hurt Blessings. Mana cure is essentially useless. Reverence actually hurts the group.
    6. The proliferation of brawler tanks with insane avoidance has made our healing power less necessary. (GU64 might admittedly bring some changes here, but that is only one item on this list...)
    7. Inquisitors actually have a worldwide channel that works. Nektulos.Templars is blowing in the wind....there's a new channel, guk.clerics, which we're apparently expected to share. Really?
    Our raid templar (who I would stack up against any templar in the world) is putting out 30-40k DPS zonewide. Our best inquisitor is putting out nearly 200k while solo healing and solo curing. Their gear is roughly equivalent! If we pair that inquisitor with a shammy, the inquisitor does even more DPS while solo curing the group and without the tank taking significantly more damage because the shammy can focus on wards and not worry with those annoying cure buttons! Something is wrong.
    We know you consider class balance important. We know that you don't want all the classes to be carbon copies of each other. I, along with many other people who read and contribute to this forum, respect and endorse that position. That being the case, it's taking way too long to fix a serious issue with class balance between inquisitors and templars in the current grouping/raiding atmosphere that you said you would look at before GU64. These forums are full of ideas on how templars can be made viable again, and if you don't like those ideas we can chip in new ideas.
    (Here are some new ideas: Change reverence so that it blocks or reduces power drains, which seem to be all the rage in Skyshrine. Give us something that blocks dots from landing on our group in the first place and instead reflects the dot back on the mob.)
    We want to communicate and work with you to make our class fun, viable, balanced, unique, and even desired in the game. If you signal a willingness to work with us, you will have no shortage of volunteers to provide feedback. Until then, I will continue to ask you to fix templars. Too many people who play templars are saying they are broken. Respectfully, I submit to you that we are not wrong. I further submit to you that if you work with us we can make the class amazing!
    Thank you for your time and attention.
    Ymarik
  2. ARCHIVED-CrypticEnigma Guest

Ymarik wrote:
    I commend your attempt at getting any dev to read this let alone respond to this...myself and others have been posting for years about outstanding issues with the class however our class has seemed to have fallen on deaf ears as it were and you only listed only a small portion of the outstanding class issues that have been ignored. As for ww channels being on nagafen omits us from them..just saying.
  3. ARCHIVED-Dahmer Guest

I pmed the dev in question shortly after gu64 hit test. No response, deaf ears.
  4. ARCHIVED-Piestro Guest

Devs read, but that doesn't mean they respond directly. If Xelgad responded to every thread in the forums directed at him and answered every PM he recieved... well he wouldn't have time to actually do any work. As such we try and discourage folks from posting threads calling out specific devs.
    With the creation of a thread like this now we're in a difficult spot. Either he responds, which encourages a lot more threads titled "Xelgad look here" or "Xelgad this needs to be fixed", or he doesn't, which means that he is ignoring the players and not reading the forums. Hence I'll just lock the thread to resolve the dilemma.
    Thanks,