An Open Dialogue Regarding Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Hahaha, make that 636, Dethdlr :) I saw several reasons they could have closed it, but apparently this thread has transcended and developed a life of its own. At least this gives the disgruntled a place to regruntle (yes, I can make up words...worked for Shakespeare).

That being said--per an earlier post-- wherein some call it going woefully off-topic, others are merely interjecting a lighter note into a negative chat or thread, in an attempt to lighten the mood. I think that's a fine line the Mods must muddle out and they seem to be pretty good at it.

As for me, it is 5 o'clock somewhere: *passes out Sam Adams, to lighten the thread*

Cheers
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  2. Caith Developer

...How could that be possibly construed as anything other then a threat?!
    Wanderingbat, Katz, Losadunai and 8 others like this.
  3. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Hehe, because I don't have a nifty micro-brewery nearby....it was what beer I had left in the Fridge ;)
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  4. Feara Well-Known Member

My turn on Moderation. I feel on a whole the Moderation on these Forums is pretty good.

I have been slapped a few times by the Mods over the years. I posted a very on the spot comment to a player and his buddy. They had posted how they took a Guild from a main Leader in the middle of the night. I basically told him where to go and what to do. I thought it was appropriate but the Mod did not o_O.

To the Moderators - I feel your doing a pretty good job. Here is where I see improvements are needed.

You've gotta find a way to let the real serious player/tester feedback be allowed.

I would like to see more of the open/under your breath name calling from one player to another addressed. It gets old after a while and it can go on for years.

Also I would like to see a limit on player post in certain game feedback threads. Please get rid of the bloat!

Nothing sucks more when a players valuable comment gets buried in a sea of ___________.

P.S. After reading this thread and the muck on some players and the things you had to put up with, I think you deserve a raise. (please get with RadarX for this request ;)).
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  5. Prayos Well-Known Member

Then you need to go to a store and get a real beer.
    Pipsissiwa and Kittybock like this.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Hehe, I am in Texas and--shh, super secret inside stuff--my old main's name kittybock is for my 16 yr old cat, named after Shiner Bock ;) Much better beer, just not in house, atm ;) I shall take your advice and head to the store...once I go kill a few things.
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  7. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Some read it as a 'tongue-in-cheek comment" as apparently it was intended, others read it as a negative remark. That doesn't make those offended and replying 'trolls', we just misunderstood.

It's a question of misinterpretation and that's a problem the mods face too - can they accurately tell how a post is intended? I bet the can of worms that post created was completely unexpected by the poster - he clearly thought it was obviously a joke. In another thread he may have got a warning if a mod read it as some of us did, despite his intended meaning.

And I have some fine, hearty Belgian 8% beers, so all good here :)
  8. Ambi Member

Mogrim for Community Manager in '16.
    konofo and Mogrim like this.
  9. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Lol friend i tell you this. My both grand dads were ukranians, my grand mothers were russians. You can't talk to me about politics in that region not to appear ignorant. I have relatives living in both countries. You are having a very little knowledge about Russian and Ukraine history. It's obvious when you think that Kremlin politics suddenly after many centuries of stand can divide a country. You have to look back starting 12 century.Maybe even at the beginning of russian history. With the same success I can say that Washington politics caused issues in slavic regions. My statement will be as much ignorant as yours blaming RFgovernment.

Speaking of names friend. My first is the name of slavic goddess of love. This was the last thing I am going to post on this subject.
  10. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Ahh, "tongue-in-cheek" can be an issue.

Okay, I will go out on a limb and sound like a total fanboi or however they spell that, but...I think they do a great job on moderating. How does this relate to tongue-in-cheek?? I've played in multiple MMO's, in many of which, I have chosen to not take part in forums, I'd merely lurk. I finally posted here, after I'd realized they kept most hateful garbage in check.
    • Players filter whatever you say, no matter how on topic, pithy, etc, through their mood. You may be in the best mood, say something funny and on topic; but to the OP in a truly bad mood, that has no rum & diet, you may be demon-spawn and should die by fire.

Kitty
    Wanderingbat and Pipsissiwa like this.
  11. Kraeref Well-Known Member

My reply came too late. Was driving home after work. Please ignore it considering that the discussion on moderation already moved on.
  12. Ambi Member

You lied.
  13. Kraeref Well-Known Member

About what?
  14. Ambi Member

Out of genuine curiosity, why didn't Kraeref's post on their lineage and erudite wisdom of Soviet era politics not receive the same amount of hate and disdain for being derailing and non-contributing as Mogrim's comment(s).
    I'm earnestly wondering what I'm missing that caused his post to have 3 comments within 18 minutes (look at the timestamps) directly attacking him on a harmless, off-the-cuff remark, but this trollbait above doesn't incite anything?
  15. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I didn't attack anybody. I explain that it's better not to talk about things people have very little knowledge. And I actually stated that my comments were off topic. You are on the other hand trying hard to insult me.

I am not he I am she as in female. It's my character that is male. Wrong assumptions :)

EDIT: and it's not an erudit wisdom of politics it's lived through knowledge that you have to be greatful you never had to face.
  16. dariusthegreat New Member

yo uh uh!! NO POLITICS OR RELIGON rule # 2 yall expect players too keep rules ?when this is allowed nah in my opinion and I say this lightly and with alotta how you say neutrality lets focus on topics related to game .
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  17. Katz Well-Known Member

I think the last couple of pages are a good example of how players can work out a misunderstanding if they aren't over-moderated. ;)
  18. Nolus Well-Known Member

In the old forums there used to be a limit on how often someone could post within a certain amount of time. It probably helped combat the spammers. I'm not sure if the version of this software has a setting for that. I have not tested to see if there is a limit. That is an interesting thought, you'd have to think on what you want to post. But it might sound better now than in practice.
  19. Mogrim Well-Known Member

A limit technically still exists.
  20. Wurm Well-Known Member

I had a feeling my question would get ignored, and I was right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.