An Open Dialogue Regarding Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadarX Community Manager

I said that is our typical policy because we are hesitant to change the meaning of someone's post without their permission. Pulling out sentences and paragraphs is censorship just as much as removing the post entirely. I'm not opposed to targeted removals and I'm pretty sure I've done at least one in this thread.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  2. Prayos Well-Known Member

But pulling out an insulting line isn't really going to change the meaning of their post. As you said, you've done it so far in this thread. So, it's not that hard to do. And I'm sure the person noticed. Did you take flak for it? Probably not.
    NickStern and Pipsissiwa like this.
  3. Prayos Well-Known Member

Welcome to a conversation that was already concluded. Move along.
    NickStern and Kraeref like this.
  4. RadarX Community Manager

This is an example of something non-constructive.

As for pulling out lines I don't disagree that most times you can pull out the insult. It hasn't been policy in the past and I'm not opposed to making it policy here, but I'm not going to do that in a vacuum. I need to know how other CMs on the team who are managing larger forums feel about how it will impact them.
    Noctew, Moonpanther and Foretold like this.
  5. Prayos Well-Known Member

It's all good. And you're right. I'm sure his job has evolved to a point where his title is no longer relevant. It wasn't meant to be about him 100%. His team as well. I'm sure most of them don't have anything else going on and can sit there and monitor.
  6. Prayos Well-Known Member

Why should you making a policy change on the EQ2 forums impact the other forums? That makes no sense. That's like saying changing the works hours for are dev department is going to affect the art department. Same company, just different department.
    NickStern likes this.
  7. RadarX Community Manager

As an update the avatars TTobey made have been added. Afista did get those prepped before her departure and they've been sitting on a list of things I've wanted to do but haven't had time.
    Noctew, Feara, Katz and 6 others like this.
  8. RadarX Community Manager

That's not really a good metaphor at all...

That's like saying "Well H1Z1 and PS2 use the same engine, but we should code weather completely differently for both of them." User experience should be consistent across our products.
    Mermut, Moonpanther and Wanderingbat like this.
  9. Prayos Well-Known Member

That right there, sir. You've quoted to me that removing some parts of a post is what you do on the PS2 side of things consistently. And the reason you gave is because that's where your primary role is. So why do it there so consistently, yet not on the EQ2 side of things?
  10. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Yay! I'm finally a girl rat! TY :)
  11. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

So, Radar, what is it specifically that you hope to gain from this thread?

1. A place for people to get some complaints around moderation off of their chests in hopes that it placates them?
    2. To find some general themes to the complaints that you can bring back to the team for discussion and consideration (with the intent to report back to the community)?
    3. To round up all of the dissenters and white-knights and summarily blacklist them?
    4. Tell us you'll look into things and put it on the back-burner until people mostly forget about it?
    5. 1,3 and 4?
    6. None of the above?
    If it is "None of the above" would you mind letting us know what that other option is?
    Prayos likes this.
  12. Prayos Well-Known Member

This is also an example of not-constructive. Would you moderate it as well?
    Kraeref likes this.
  13. Caela Well-Known Member

Yay! Thank you!
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  14. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

It's amazing how much people want to play the semantics game. I think you know full well what the differences are. Feigning ignorance doesn't really help your cause at all.
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

Please I'm begging you.
    Prayos likes this.
  16. Prayos Well-Known Member

I do know the difference. And her comment was "not constructive". No semantics there. If you're going to go all Germany on the insult line of things, you've gotta do it for ALL parts of the policy. You can't just pick and choose which ones you like and which ones you don't.
  17. Wanderingbat Active Member

You're gorgeous!
    Pipsissiwa likes this.
  18. Kraeref Well-Known Member

^this. Not aimed at Pips but a good question for RadarX.
  19. Griff Well-Known Member

Or you could view it as the concise and easily understood version of "I've always wanted to have my avatar in the forums reflect the gender of my choosing. I appreciate that the changes that were in the works have been applied. Thank you for alerting me of this change".

Not constructive would be (example, not my opinion) "What a waste of money that could have been spent [insert cause]"
    Losadunai and Wanderingbat like this.
  20. NickStern Active Member

So are you saying One Size fits all?
    Why can we not have forum specific game specific rules. Honestly that makes more sense being the participants will be different the expected out come of different games play styles forums is expected to be different. Treat people as individuals not just another number.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.