An Open Dialogue Regarding Forum Moderation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feldon Well-Known Member

The discussion about custom avatars is a dead horse because RadarX has already indicated it is non-negotiable. Privately to me in heated debates as well as publicly.
    Kryvak likes this.
  2. RadarX Community Manager

We've had a ton of insults (subtle or not) thrown around. I'll admit I've come across pretty hostile myself a few times. Let's all communicate like the adults we are and continue the discussion.
    suka and Wanderingbat like this.
  3. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Seeing as we did have them, can we retrospectively have an update on them? Kander spilled info that the scout changes are going to be phased, but said little more. It'd be nice to have a forward picture, even if it is subject to change.

You can even start it on Reddit if you truly desire :)
    Wanderingbat and Feldon like this.
  4. RadarX Community Manager

I'll be happy to put it publicly. Custom avatars both through Gravatar and allowing everyone to upload them is a security risk that the folks in charge of that at DBG have decided we aren't going to take. There are times the risks outweigh the benefits and this is one of those situations.
  5. RadarX Community Manager

I'll be happy to bring that to Roshen's attention. Really isn't my place to be specific about that, I was speaking generally.
  6. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

It's all quite relative, really. Also, duct tape is silver.
    Shiba and Wanderingbat like this.
  7. Katz Well-Known Member

Good. :p And you actually made me laugh due to me saying that elsewhere and not here.
  8. Caela Well-Known Member

There are at least 17 posts on this site about using Gravatars - dating back for 2 years. Including in this thread posted by Drexella asking us about our Avatar wish list. There is also this post by Drexella promising new avatars - that was back in 2012... 2012.

Now, you may think "boy, that Caela is hung up on Avatars, what a whiny little gnome". The fact is, I could care less. What I really care about is SOE/DBG told us one thing and didn't deliver. and then kept us in the dark and didn't communicate with us.. They saw our comments, they promised something, and then subsequently ignored the fans. Remember, we are fans, not customers - we don't *need* EQ2. I have a bunch of people I could play Guild Wars 2 with right now...

All that had to happen was a Red name to come in and say "Hey, we know we said we would give y'all avatars - we are sorry. We just can't do it because _____________" I would have been happy with that. I would have known that my concern was valid. It was listened to, and they respected me enough to let me know why it wasn't going to happen.

You are the very first red name, after 2 and some odd years to say that we would not be getting Gravatars. I still don't understand why except for "security risk" - I would like to know what that security risk is.

This is just a typical example of what is wrong at DBG. This is what is not transparent or open. Be upfront with us. Tell what is going on. Tell us when you can't meet a promise. And tell us why.
    Alenna, suka, Pipsissiwa and 5 others like this.
  9. RadarX Community Manager

There is a difference between getting new avatars which we've uploaded, and Gravatars/Allowing custom uploads. I'll ask if we can detail the security issue behind this but being honest Feldon is a smart guy and could probably make some really accurate statements of our concerns.

I can't control what happened two years ago, so I'm just going to do what I can now.
  10. Vexrm Member

Hey Radar. Thanks for keeping up with this this weekend. You proved me wrong.

To be blunt, I still don't know what might trigger a ban. I have never been banned and I do try to write my posts so I don't get banned. You've read plenty of my posts and I've constantly gone "Fine, you're going this way this is what I need to buy in."

I admit I fear one day I'll be banned for talking how I normally do. There were a few times when I called out smokejumper and I was going "Yeap, this is what will get me banned." So far nothing. With that in mind I will say negative critiques, if worded nicely and backed up are accepted.

I just never know where the line is.
    suka, Pipsissiwa and Wanderingbat like this.
  11. Kraeref Well-Known Member

^^This. We never got a reply about enchanters damage and now day role in groups and raids improvement.
  12. Losadunai Active Member

Question RadarX - Not sure if this is moderation related or a feature/bug kind of thing.

How come sometimes, when I edit a post, I lose the ability to edit it or any other post for a while, yet other times, I can edit a post several times, or edit one, then another?

Is it that for some reason I've had my ability to edit posts revoked for a bit, or is it some timer thing (which I wouldn't think since it doesn't always seem to apply) or is it a buggish kinda thing?

Thanks

EDIT lol : eep see - And here I can edit this post (but maybe only once) but a post I made in another thread I can not edit - nor my previous post in this thread. It just seems so random?
    Wanderingbat likes this.
  13. Nolus Well-Known Member

We can edit posts for a limited time in some forums, but unlimited in other forums. Homeshow is unlimited, General is time limited. It's not communicated anywhere though.
  14. Vexrm Member

Any post older than 20 minutes can't be edited.
  15. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I am not sure if you again tried to insult here. It seems you didn't get at all what I was trying to say to you. I will try one more time.There is a very old proverb: speech is silver but silence is gold. Your reply came out as completely lacking intelligence. Duct tape? Really?

After your post I won't be taking any your comments seriously at all.
    NickStern likes this.
  16. Vexrm Member

It's an old joke. "Silence is golden but duct tape is silver and more effective".

Duct taping some ones mouth shut.
    Feldon likes this.
  17. Amaitae Active Member

thank you for giving the rationale behind the lack of answers to the lag/server performance CF situation.
  18. Losadunai Active Member

Thank you gentlemen. I had a feeling it was something like that but hadn't tracked the actual time before. Makes sense though.
  19. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Well then I hope Vainamoinen will keep it handy for themselves (figuratively speaking) to avoid insulting others..
    Pipsissiwa, NickStern and Feldon like this.
  20. Nolus Well-Known Member

From some experience in the hopes of helping everyone. If you can take someone calling you names and insults to you personally and still behave very decently towards them you will gain a lot more speaking with them in the future and how they are with you and how they are in the community even if it doesn't seem initially like it it does make a difference, responding in kind only makes the situation worse even if you are right.
    Wanderingbat and Katz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.