An ability overhaul is in order here

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Xavanic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Xavanic New Member

Hi, Long time EQ player here (started playing EQ in 2001, started playing EQ2 in 2004) I have tried to return to the game but....it seems I can't keep up...my shadowknight has...well...roughy 40 damage abilites...this is not including temp buffs, or the plethora of indefinite buffs, now I'm not trying to complain but...how in the world am i supposed to learn to rotate this many abilities? Now... im not saying trim it down to 3-4 ability rotations like they have in wow...but could we prune them a bit?...maybe down to 8-12 damaging abilities??
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

You can do that yourself. Look at the abilities and only use the top parsing ones. At that point the refresh timer is up and you cycle back to those rather than use the other lower damaging ones. If you aren't sure which those are, or where to start pruning (and looking at the spell description is a good start) ask other SKs for information on which abilities they do or don't hotbar or if an AA spec into. Note that some abilities may be situational, ie normally not worth casting, but useful in specific circumstances.

For me, I'd rather have choice. I'm OK with lots of abilities I may choose not to use. Who knows, maybe next update, one of those will get an increase, and replace another staple of my rotation.
    Soara2, Pixistik and Dude like this.
  3. Healsu Active Member

Actually Xavanic is right the spells and CAs and AA need a complete overhaul to many outdated and broken abilities that need to be looked at.
    AA system used to be a way to customize your toon but to many are completely outdated and or broken they need to be looked at.
    Combat arts and spells are the same, choice is good but there are way to many that again are usless.
    However DB continues to add more ( ascensions ) instead of looking what actually exsists in the game.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Play a ranger
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

For better or worse, EQ2 doesn't have the man power to 'update' the obsolete abilities and AA of the over 20 classes in the game. And if the only way to do a good job is to roll them all out at once...
    Crock and Soara2 like this.
  6. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I do not want my shadow knights nerfed.. Please play more before you go asking for these kind of changes.
    Pixistik, Rhodris and Breanna like this.
  7. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Never mind. I see you have played a lot. Either way, I do not want my shadowknights or other characters nerfed so you can have less spells
  8. Healsu Active Member

@Soara Im not sure if your comments where directed towards me or not. I have never asked for " nerfs" to a class. Redoing the outdated AA system and outdated CS./spells should never "nerf" a class but should bring more balance to all classes. It should give more options to play classes different ways. When was the last time there was even a new AA tree ? When i played i would look forward to a new expansion with changes to AA trees or new AA lines to customize my toon. Choices to those AA lines where meaningful now its just add what ever cause most of the first 3 AA trees are useless and outdated.
    On a sarcastic note........ nah better not go there
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Soara2 Well-Known Member

If you have been playing this game long enough, you should have already seen that most "fixes" end up being nerfs. You (Healsu) might be asking for more options, and no one is blatantly asking for nerfs in this thread, however, the OP is asking for LESS spells, which means LESS options, which to me is asking for a nerf. And some of the spells and AA people have claimed to be useless, I have found quite useful for me. It is not that hard to hit max option in spell book and find the spells quickly to play a character. I have had to do this on several alts recently in minutes to run them through the PoM line to level up. These alts had not been played in years and I am not the greatest player, if I can do this in a few minutes, everyone can do it. I do not see why I should lose more than half my damage abilities just so the OP doesn't have to choose amongst them. And I don't think I am alone in this, but who is going to give me the money back I spent upgrading these spells that are going to disappear? And it is very lovely of the OP to have an idealistic expectation that the devs will pick the very best ones to keep for every single type of player for each class, but it is not a realistic expectation. The OP wants only 8 to 12 damage abilities. I use this many just AoE. I can't even fathom only having that many total.

Maybe those AA are useless in new raids or whatever but they are useful to me. Not everyone is playing high end and those "outdated" AA are quite useful in our "outdated" old zones. A new AA tree is fine, but I am not trying to lose what I already have in any way.
    Rhodris, Mermut, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

They have already taken so much from this game, I would hate to see more dumbing down done.

In fact I would love for all the stats to matter to every toon, like it was in teh begining.
    Soara2, Breanna and Rhodris like this.
  11. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes this +100
    Pixistik and Soara2 like this.
  12. Toxicmoon New Member

I stopped playing another mmo because most classes were dumbed down to 4 buttons. The only logical reason I can fathom is so it could be played on mobile, it nuked that game from orbit just to be sure. While I play a SK and I feel there are a lot of buttons I'd rather not risk any kind of pruning as someones else's vision of that may be too extreme or just wrong. If that experience taught me anything, leave things be.

You can use cast sequence macros. Your single player taunt with a couple ranged spells, just make the taunt primary. You know have 3 abilities on on button, you pull tank and range dps all at the same time.

You could use another for knock backs, ranged attacks etc. I agree with Melkior, that's what I've done. Picked the top parsing. The others I had on a Hotbar forever just incase. But I've removed that hot bar and never miss it.

On the complete opposite of the spectrum I hated it when they made all self buffs passive on death. Everyone buffing up after a wipe was always a thing. Also the class animations set them all apart. Now you never see them. I played a Bard when they made those changes. Used to love jamming out on my lute after death lol. Perhaps in an arena or PVP but PVE, that change just took so much away imo. You can remove those for the hotbar as well.
    Soara2, Pixistik and Rhodris like this.