Alts accessing mains house (help needed)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Grimfellow, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Grimfellow New Member

Quick question, after reading some instructions it appears for one of your characters to access another of your characters houses you just need to grant access to the house as well as being in the same zone. Is this still the case? I have an inq. with New Halas housing who gave another one of my characters trustee access however I cant see the house listed. I have gone to the building itself and right clicked visit and still can not see the house. What might I be missing?
    Thanks!
  2. Shmogre Well-Known Member

You might need to actually type the character's name into the search box in the upper right of the "Visit" window [right-click on door, choose "Visit", then type owner's name]. There are often so many house owners at that location that the game doesn't show all of them in the list, so typing in the name will start to narrow down the field and allow more to be displayed.

The Housing & Leaderboards window is a bit more finicky, even though it looks similar. I get consistent results by always clicking "Query" first to reset the list, then typing the owner's name in the box [which starts matching the list character by character].

Hope that helps!
    Grimfellow and Finora like this.
  3. Grimfellow New Member

Thanks for the reply Shmogre! I did some more digging and realized that the house itself needed to be set to Visit to get access. I thought trustee access by character would be enough but apparently not, once I set the house to visit its working now.
    Shmogre likes this.
  4. Tatanka_7th Active Member

I used to notice the same thing. I think the problem is, when you first bring up the list by clicking on the housing door, the list is alphabetized, but it's not the whole list, and it's random as to who is in the list (or maybe not random, but starting with those who have had a house at that location the longest). I would type the first two letters of my main's name in the search box, and there would be the house listed, as it should be.

If you're using the housing leaderboard, publish the house, and then in the search drop-down, select "My Guild" (assuming your alts are in the same guild). That works well for me.

Tat
    Shmogre likes this.
  5. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Good to know...I would have assumed "Trustee" would override "no visitors" as well. Glad you got in!
  6. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Huh...check this out: I am a trustee of a guildee's house which is set for no public access, and I was able to zone in fine from a few different locations [the prestige housing portal in Qeynos, the guild housing portal, and from another house that had a portal in it].

Took a screen shot of access permissions inside the house:
    [IMG]

So our first instincts of "Trustee access trumps Public access" worked here. Interesting, eh?
    Finora likes this.
  7. Shmogre Well-Known Member

And one more thought: You can only access prestige houses from the city portal of the same alignment that the house was claimed in. So if a toon has a Qeynos prestige home, you can't use the Freeport prestige portal [and vice versa]. Doesn't sound like what you were seeing, but figured it was worth mentioning...
  8. leavwiz New Member

A more basic question, if you are coming back after years away, how do you find your house?
  9. Tatanka_7th Active Member

With the new housing leaderboard UI addition, it's easy :)

Go to the "EQ" menu button, and select the "Housing Leaderboard" (or something like that) option. When that window opens, select the "my housing" tab. It'll show where the house is, will let you pay the upkeep right there, and will let you zone directly into it, if you are in a friendly city. Also, if you publish the house, you can access it from almost anywhere.

Welcome back!

Tat
  10. leavwiz New Member

actually. I did open the tab, but for some reason I see nothing that tells me where the house is, however I can pay the upkeep there. shouldn't I have a recall to house? or is that missing because my rent is due?
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

If the Enter House button (bottom left) is greyed out, you are not in a zone that you can enter that house from.

For example, in Cardin Ward I can pay rent on my houses, but cannot zone to either my house in Freeport, or my house in Gorowyn. After zoning to Freeport the Enter House button for both of those houses became usable.

Edit: The rent does have to paid, and not showing as DUE
    Shmogre likes this.
  12. leavwiz New Member

thanks a bunch, that was the problem, rent due
    am back in my house.
    Shmogre likes this.
  13. Tatanka_7th Active Member

To Dulcenia, there is a workaround. If you can't "Enter House", and it's published, then find the house in the list (i.e., pick the right size category, and choose "My houses" in the dropdown), and then you can click "Visit" on the right side, bottom, of the window.

Tat
  14. Bella222 Active Member

Awarding trustee status to your alts does allow them to visit any of your other characters houses. Just click on the visitor tab on the door and type the name of your character owner. You can also move items and decorate with your trustee alts.
  15. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

Adding to this issue.

Prestige housing:
    If trying to access a house on a character of opposing faction then you must use the guild hall house portal or go to the opposing faction city and use the Prestige housing portal there (right click). Freeport prestige portal wont allow you to visit Qeynos and vice versa.

Make sure you have added your characters to the trustee list of your main characters house so it shows up in the guild hall house portal.