Ahhhh... The Gimpification of me.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Draagun, Nov 28, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

Well. I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with my class so far. I keep thinking I should have rolled a conjurer. I have news for you all coming from EQ1 thinking that a necro is the **ZOMG**... well its looking more and more like my necro is going to be **ZOMG**.

I am currently level 23 about to hit 24 on the inny server. Here are a few things I was looking forward to as a necro, my favorite things from eq1 that just aren't here.

Feign death *gone*
    Life taps *gone*
    Life taps over time *gone*
    Fear kite *gone*
    Decent DOTS that aren't AoE dots that take a half a min to cast ...*GONE*

Basically what you are left with in EQ2 is a Eq1 mage without nukes.
    Sad part is, I am looking at the spell list and there isn't **ZOMG** to look forward to. Sure this is a life tap down the road and I think a fd, but my experience so far with the spells I have gotten tells me that these will be super ****. Like a life tap with a 1.5 minute refresh or some **ZOMG** like that.

Case in point - I got this cool new spell called "Swarm of Rats". All excited I get set up to put my swarm of rats on a mob and OWN it. I cast the dot and poof.. out comes one double down arrow green con rat. ONE RAT IS NOT A SWARM.

Well, turns out if you buy the swarm of rats app2 you get *gasp* 2 rats! Good luck finding anything over app2 right now. I will be 30 before I get an adept of this I'm sure. (oh and the long recast insures you can only use it once every other fight, and the rats poof after one mob, they wont attack more in one group)

Well, you would think I would re-roll right? Here is why I say with it:
    I have a feeling conjure have their own problems. So maybe my DPS isnt that bad. I do have a guild and a steady group so I don't have to worry about that stigma of

Necros in a group that has carried over from eq1.

I am doing ok too. I can solo yellows just fine and I seem to lay down decent DPS in a group. I feel sorta like the monks of casters. I don't see the big hits in the 100 range but rather -10,-8,-11) all thru the fight. Also what keeps me going is the hope they will fix us down the road. I havent got **ZOMG** else to look foward to in the next 10 levels sept some stupid buffs and pets that cant tank for **ZOMG**.

more ******* = lack of adept drops, lack of gear drops vs. melee
  2. ARCHIVED-uksky Guest

All i can say is this isn't EQ1 and maybe you should stop comparing it with that. EQ2 is a different game.
    It has also been stated there will be no kiting.
    Also the quote above, look at the Necro Spell list, those types of spells are in it. (if not all most are):smileyhappy:

3. ARCHIVED-Draagun Guest

Life tap and FD at 40+ doesnt help me at all at 24 now does it?

And like I said in the above post... they are probably so **** its not even funny (like long refresh rates or super long cast times)

Yeah, I know its not EQ1 but still everybody coming from there had some expectations of what a class would be and could do.
  4. ARCHIVED-Handlebars Guest

I'm lvl 22 and solo up to lvl 26 and 27 mobs. I played a lvl 65 necro on eq1 for a while and am quite happy with my necro on eq2. They aren't the same, don't do the same stuff, but I don't think you should expect them too, as it was noted, these are DIFFERENT games. If they wanted it to be like eq1, they would have thrown more graphics in there and not made a new one.
  5. ARCHIVED-Yadylia Guest

Actually you get an area life tap at 30 (Breath of the Unearthed - Deals disease damage over time to the enemy and their surrounding encounter members, while replenishing health to the necromancer.). I also had a necro in EQ1 and I agree the necro in EQ2 doesnt seem very powerful compared to the EQ1 necro, but about the pet being lower level then your char ... it was the same way in EQ1, we had to wait few levels between each new pet and he was lower level then our char in the mean time.
  6. ARCHIVED-Zedek Guest

I just laugh every time I read one of these whining posts...

As it has been said before in this thread (and many many others) this is not EQ1, they never meant it to be. People coming from EQ1 with expectations to pwn every thing they see are the ones being vastly disappointed.

It's all in the playstyle. If you wanted a class that you could just load up a bunch of uber dots and put fear on it and rake in the mad xps, then you shouldn't even be playing this game.

That said, I love my nec but that maybe just me. It's all about getting used to the new style of play, some may be too jaded to see it.

Anywho, give it a little longer, you may become accustomed to it, if not...there's nothing stopping you from re-rolling or going back to EQ1.
  7. ARCHIVED-uksky Guest

So 4 levels into the class you expect all the Uber Spells, wouldn't be much fun having all the good spells at the start and progressing was just upgrades to those spells. That would become very boring.
    I personally like the Necro, i like the fact that there is no I-win classes, who can kite their way to the top level. This is coming from a druid from EQ1 who kited for most of his levels.
    Also not everyone had the same expectations as you of the Necro because i think most of the other Beta testers & Forum posters knew the Necro of EQ2 is not like the Necro of EQ.
    Take a step back and try to enjoy the game for what it is, a new grouped orientated online game that just happens to have Everquest in its title.:smileyhappy:
  8. ARCHIVED-Raustorm Guest

Hehe. I just love this.

People whining at not being uber just because they play.

The game is fine. All this whining ended up with Sony catering to the whiners and turning the game into so much crap.

This game is a LOT more about skill than it is about being uber just because you feel entitled to it.

If you take the time to learn how to play your character efficiently instead of whining about how it isnt EQ1 you will enjoy yourself. Otherwise, dust off your level 70 EQ1 char with the time gear and go back to zerging Avatars.
  9. ARCHIVED-VonDweller Guest

I guess I'm enjoying the blissful sleep of the ignorant so far, having never played EQ1. To this point (Level 20) I have had a blast playing a Necro.
    If I have a complaint thus far it would be that most other players, and or groups seem to be a bit unsure as how to best exploit the presence of a Necromancer in their party. This of corse creates a vast difference between my solo play vs group play, but the flip side of that is I have to approach each situation differently thus creating a fresh feeling. In other words it dosn't get boring or redundant.

In the end I love that we are not Nukers!

We my friends have to think our way through a fight, be it solo, or group, and as far as I can tell that is what makes a Necro the best Mage class to play.:smileywink: