Aggro in defensive

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Mindswordx, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Mindswordx Guest

I have been off tanking lately in raids, and unfortunately I am having difficulty holding aggro in defense. Anyone have any suggestions? Are increase to hate adorns actually worth anything? or should I stick with dps adorns. I ususually have at least swash hate in my group but going all out with dps in defensive I can barely hold around 50 on the hate meter, snap taunts will give me aggro for a bit but I tend to lose it quickly.
  2. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

What's your group setup? Do you have a dirge? A coercer? It's rare that you'll get both if you're offtanking, but you should probably ask for at least one. Any gear on you that procs hate? The earrings off of Toxxulia and Vuulan both proc hate, and if I'm recalling properly so do our defensive leg pieces. Have you tried out mantis leap? It's practically a 15 second target lock. Are you using the monk SF endline taunt ability?
  3. ARCHIVED-Mindswordx Guest

No on Mantis leap and same for the endline SF. I do have a couple of points in Dragon Rage, I guess I will finish that off and pick up provoking stance next.
    We haven't seen the Vuulan earring drop yet.
    I have gauntlets of martial heritage, for hate proc. (T9 defensive) I haven't bought any of the red slot hate adorns though, I went with Flurry, Sweeping Swings, Monk Stances and Inner Calm so far. Maybe that is one of my problems? For wrists I didn't take any of the hate adorns, I just picked up +to weapon skills. I have flawless charm, which I thought gave hate but apparently it doesn't. I mostly have the defensive t9 armor, which may be another of my problems. I think I am going to start bidding on the dps gear as well.
    Going through t7 and t8 with low mit has had me concentrating more on mit which might be another mistake. I can hit 8k self buffed mit in defensive, but I think my dps might be suffering because of it. I can barely hit 15k in raids, and I have heard other brawlers are hitting 25k?
    My group in raid is usually Inq/Fury/Swash/Coercer/Me with the 6th person being some other dps class. I rarely get a dirge.
    I am mostly dps spec'd. I am thinking seriously about dropping Chi as it seems to be over rated.
    4, 10, 10, 1, 8 Str
    4, 10 Agi
    4, 10 Stam
    4, 10, 8, 1, 8 Wis
  4. ARCHIVED-Rasttan Guest

Chi is overrated on a Monk to me its not worth the AA
    With that group as an OT just make sure the coercer has hate on you, if you have the swash xfer then even defensive you should have to be watching your hate and should have no problems grabbing and holding any mob. You do not need hate adorns dont waste your time on them. Stay offensive stance, time your auto attacks, if you need to grab the mob use a snap, pop a special if its a pain in the as... mob so your healers can phase to you tanking, and swap to defensive stance.
  5. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

I wouldn't recomend tanking in offensive stance. The immunity to strikethrough is just too big a boost to give up for a bit higher hit rate.
  6. ARCHIVED-Harowen Guest

Coming from someone who's both a bruiser and a coercer, make sure your coercer has the5 aa's in making enraging demeanor 22% instead of 17%. The folks you're having trouble holding aggro off of, what's their group like? Are they high dps classes without troubs in their group? What sort of hate management is being done on them? Does your coercer have 5 aa's in velocity and 5 aa's in peaceful link so he can dehate and crit boost at least the top 3 offenders and himself? My raid usually has 2 coercers, I link myself, brigand, assassin, swashbuckler, other one links himself, necro, wizard, warlock. If you're not getting a dirge, you're getting anywhere from 14-22% increase to hate gain, depending on what your coercer has. Spending some white adorns on increased hate gain wouldn't be out of the question, at least have some backup gear that's worthwhile enough to equip that has the adorns. What's your weapon skills sitting at? With no dirge and no warden, you're not getting squat in the way of help from your group. Itemize towards a goal of at least 520, 585 is better. I carry a +21 weapon skills wrist with a +19 weapon skills adornment on it, and a defensive stat ear with another +17. Your hate gain sucks if you can't hit the mob. Regarding stances, I wouldn't recommend being in anything but defensive stance on raids if you're doing any of the following: - Tanking - Possibility of needing to pick up tanking - Intercepting regularly (Unless it's a cake fight and you can pretty much guarantee all you'll be doing is DPS'ing) Nothing makes a brawler look useless like being in offensive gear and offensive stance, MT dies suddenly and you snap it up only to die next swing. My brawler tree is set up like this currently: str 4 8 10 1 8 agi 4 4 sta 4 10 8 1 wis 4 10 8 1 8 int 1 and brawlers tenacity rank 1 Reasoning: Chi is huge for bruiser, haven't highly investigated monks myself but folks seem to feel it's not as special for you guys, I find it to be spectacular to hit when you have "oh noes!" moments, getting 2 ca's in between swings at 200 haste while dual wielding 2.5s weapons is incredible for both enhanced survival and holding / obtaining aggro. Mantis Leap is huge, it's a tremendous aggro tool and it's good for jousting with it's 35m teleport. Crane Flock is huge on any sort of aoe fight, carry a big two hander for these moments, Yuri from x2 is ideal, Zonn Battlehammer from airship 1 is a close second. Int line I have 1 point for the spin attack since I use this same spec for pvp and for zoning with. If I was doing a pure raid spec I'd drop it and put another point in reuse. Though I'm somewhat tempted to get the other rank of Brawler's Tenacity now that it's 45s (which is still too short).
  7. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

I'm conflicted about Chi. I don't like the int line since I spend most of my time at 100% hp, Crane flock is obviously beast and a must have, Altruism is junk, and while I really like Mantis leap, I find it a little pointless to put points in deflection since my block chance is going to pump that all the way up anyway. I like the str line mostly because of the block chance in it, and I've found that I tend to spend enough points in that to make it a fairly small sacrifice to get chi, so I think I might end up grabbing it since it's only a few points anyway. I dropped mantis leap for now since I have enough points for the monk tree end line and I'm going to see how the two abilities compare.
  8. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Aule@Guk wrote:
    Chi is no good for monks and even for bruiser its nothing special despite what you guys try and convince yourselves, there is a reason the top parsing brawler of the last 2 expansions doesn't have chi.
    Mantis leap is also not that great as the job of a tank is to hold agro not only hold it for only 10 seconds if you can't hold it without mantis leap running you have no business tanking. Basically snaps are good for grabbing agro they should never be thought of as a tool for holding agro we already have 4 snaps no need for a 5th.
    It is ABSOLUTELY important that brawlers spec their INT crits to full in this expansion so that they can load up on as much crit bonus gear as possible without going under 100% crit. Not having it is bad advice.
    Last, if you aren't tanking there is no reason not to be in offensive stance in fact you are not doing your job efficiently if you aren't putting out the most possible dps when you aren't needed to tank. If you are having trouble picking up mobs while dying then instead of gimping yourself by going in defensive try hitting your temps a little faster, it is nothing to hit the stoneskins right away snap the mob on your then switch into defensive.
  9. ARCHIVED-Rasttan Guest

No chi, max crit in Int line so you can use crit bonus/potency gear, you dont need the block AA in defensive gear before procs my block mod is 92% spend the AA somewhere else. Even the mark gear and weapons are stacked with block%. Stay offensive until you have to snap the mob and or tank a mob, stance dancing is playing your class. You will hold the mobs this way even with 1 hate xfer easily.
    Do not get hate adorns they are a waste of an adornment slot