Age of Dead Alts

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ColdPlaya, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I don't PL. I don't AFK grind. I don't bot or script. I hardly ever even box. I level up each character through the content and try to do all of the content I can while level appropriate with level appropriate gear; HQs, dungeons, all of the appropriate zones, etc. I do this in every one of these games I play.

Ever since DAoC introduced the /level command years ago and I saw what it did to the community and the skill level of the playerbase as a whole I've hated boosts that allow people so skip ahead. Nothing pisses me off more in a PUG than finding myself in a group with someone who bypassed learning how to play their character so they could get to the 'end game' and do the 'real content' faster. I firmly believe that these games should be worlds you experience, and that the experience should start the moment you leave the character creator not when you reach max level.

So I think I can empathize and agree.

Now, having said all of that, it's sort of a Last Man On Earth situation. At some point I need to realize maybe I'm the anomaly if the community as a whole decides the norm is other than what I think it should be. When everyone else is a vampire then the last human raging against them is the one out of place. So, grain of salt and all of that.

What's more, when the game progresses in a predictable pattern for so many years and then the devs make, what I think, are ridiculous decisions out of nowhere that set the bar so much higher than they have been before in regards to people keeping their alts caught up it makes sense that people who be upset and want something done to address it. Personally, I don't even want to participate in the mess given all of the other options out there.
    Prissetta likes this.
  2. kluxor Well-Known Member

+1
  3. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

some folks clearly have not played this xpac if they dont realize the insane amount of work and hours one has to put into their main. there really isnt enough time in our lifespan to keep 25 or 26 toons in the top 1% of players. but i dont think anyone expects to have 25 tier 4 raiders without any effort. just some of the time sink aspects of 2.0 are really impractical for alts, and the way people on many servers turn their back on people without the weapon or alts w/o the weapon....the insane amount of grinding for alts is pointless and by no means fun for most people. and most people play games to have fun. companies put out games for people that want to relax and have fun, not grind mindless time sinks 25 times. i believe i am just echoing the sentiments of the majority of the population. and no matter how much money the raiders and elitists believe they put into the game, the majority of players are casual and or part time. i know of many people that put tons of money into daybreak just decorating houses. if the game is to thrive, it will have to cater to the majority, not just the raiders and elitists. i by no means am a casual or lazy player, but i respect all playstyles and understand what its gonna take if they wanna win back some of the folks that flocked away, or retain some of those barely hanging on.
    Prissetta and Mizgamer62 like this.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

Too many people associate effort with time. They're not the same thing. Doing the ToV or CoE signature questlines on your level 100 alt who one shots everything is not effort, it's just a timesink.
    Crastinal, Jtoon, Dude and 3 others like this.
  5. Nelie Well-Known Member

100% agree here. However, we are by far the minority in this thinking.
    Mathafern likes this.
  6. Nelie Well-Known Member

They might not be the same thing but they go hand in hand. If you don't put forth the effort to go do the timesink, then that is your own fault. Others have done it, why can't anyone else? I'll wait while you pull the "RL" card or "Not everyone is hardcore" card.
  7. Malleria Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with the "It's ******* stupid" card :)

I've done the work on a few toons now, because I feel the reward is worth suffering through it and I have the spare time to do so. But to say it's a good system and should remain as it is is idiotic.
    Crastinal, Jtoon, Azian and 6 others like this.
  8. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

well said. some of us may continue to grind these idiotic time sinks on alts and other servers, but the thought alone makes me beat my head against the desk repeatedly. i will bear these burdens occasionally to get to the goal, but if anyone thinks i enjoy the time sink aspects from former xpacs being worked into this one, repeatedly, they are sorely mistaken. i greatly enjoyed some aspects the first go round. others i merely endured, namely, aforementioned time sinks and sig lines from old xpacs, just to update 1 tiny piece of one of the many 2.0 quests in the line.
  9. Nelie Well-Known Member

Never admitted to it being a good system but just because its stupid doesn't quite answer my question of what is stopping anyone from doing it? You just admitted to doing it a few times because of the reward. I have, myself, done it 4 times now for the reward and I didn't like it either but the reward was worth it.
  10. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

You, yourself, just admitted to not liking it. Why then argue that nobody should be able to skip some aspects if they already did them at least once? Is the point of a game to NOT have fun? We could try to make doing our taxes into a game, but odds are, people do not consider it fun.
    Mizgamer62 and Malleria like this.
  11. Nelie Well-Known Member

Just because I don't like doing something doesn't mean I won't do it. Just like you said you are eventually going to do it even though you hate the system as well. If the epic weapon isn't that important to you and/or alts, then chances are you won't do it. If it is worth getting then you will. Simple as that. It is quite the common trend that something won't change, people will complain and yet they will eventually still do it. If not, then they stomp out of here rage quitting over a game because this type of quest requires you to have several things done for a weapon that is quite the upgrade.

Lets say I want to rage quit because the dragon language requires having the giant language....pretty silly of me to rage quit a game over that, huh?
  12. Milchbart Active Member

I took a break of 2 months and maybe I missec something. Is it really possible to buy ascension XP for coins? If yes, who is selling it and where? Do you mean with rile currencies the coins from KA or the coins from proving grounds?
    Thanks in advance for helping me.
  13. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

Thankfully alts can skip giant and draconic after one toon finishes Sig. And no, a few of my alts MIGHT do it eventually, but most are skipping it since the time sinks are so boring. Nobody is patting daybreak on the back for this war on alts. They've moved in the right direction with this summer promo, and I feel buffing the 2.0 bauble would finally put this xpac where it should be. Some of it needed to happen sooner. Not immediately, but once most people had 2.0 on their mains, more thought should have been put into the alt bauble. Perhaps by the time next xpac launches, they will reconsider making alts fun and viable again. Be a lot more fun if folks could mix it up. Want an example? There is a raid that requires certain tank classes. It happens that our mt and ot (me), both main berserkers. I set out to get my pally up to snuff. Got him to raid resolve with good stats, but they didn't want him since he does not have his epic yet. Now I could bust my butt so that he can help with that 5-10 minute fight. Yes, I could grind for countless hours, through boring trivial old quests, factions, and range drops in old heroics that I would solo, but how much more palatable would that experience be if I only had to get that toon through the new fights and content they created for 2.0?
    santargria and Prissetta like this.
  14. Leonitas of Potato Situational Awareness

If you complete all four ascension's on one toon and get your tome, you can buy an item from the Nye caelona merchant called tears of ascension. For half a million status, 100 riles, and I forget how much coin, it will refill your ascension vitality from 0 to 7 million, one time. Additional tears must be purchased to refill it again. This grants you zero xp, just the potential to keep grinding without waiting, on an alt.

The only item currently granting ascension levels is a journeyman primer from the panda yun zi, in sundred frontier, after doing 2 of his quests. It will move a toon up to level 5 of one ascension, only once ever, per toon. You get the attacks and buffs from those levels, and in an upcoming patch, it should also fill in the xp associated with those levels.
    santargria and Prissetta like this.
  15. Milchbart Active Member

At the beginning of KA I was one of the people who cried load it is too much timesink and indeed for many causual gamer KA was by fare too difficult.To reach endgame with several alts was almost impossible, but in the last 2 or 3 months we have seen a lot of improvments.
    - The new weekly quests are so simple, really everybody can do it within some minutes. Everybody gains 50% pot more and some useful amor, including slots for orange adornments.
    - Ascension leveling is faster now, because we get more scrolls.
    - Whit 2 baubles after you have your first Epic 2 and a free jump to asencion level 5, the timesinking work for all alts is drastically less than in the beginning.
    - In solo proving ground everybody can get a ring and an orange adornment what improves pot 400, HP 200% and ability modifier 400.000! For a bad equiped casual this means he tripples his stats. For a hard core raider it is still a big improvement and it is an easy job to do.
    - In the beginning it was a hard job to clear all heroic instances you need for Epic 2. Now you can increase your stats drastically by simple weeklys and PGs. It looks easy for me to reach first far more than 20.000 pot and 500.000 ability modifier and do the epic quest than.
    - We discussed in another threat the negative aspects of so called stat inflation, but it has a big advantage. You can close the difference between a perfect equiped endgamer and a bad equiped alt much easier. Even the value of the Epic weapon itself is less important. Most of us started in KA with very low favor. Comparing with stats from other weapons the bigges advantage of Epic 2 is 25 fervor. Today the situation is different. Everybody including alts can reach, 15 fervor from orange runes, 1 fervor from green adornments, 10 from tome of ascended and of course as before 30 from heardbond. Simple calculation, you can start your first heroic dungeon easily with 56 fervor. That is more than 2/3 of the situation with Epic 2.

Sorry to say, the statement "age of dead alts" was end of 2016 maybe justified, but not today. Of, course it takes still time to improve alts, but it is now well balanced and that is the way of this game.
  16. Milchbart Active Member

Thanks for the answer. It does not help me, because I am still working on my first ascension (have 2,5 ascension classes full now), but at least it is enough to start with every alt Epic2 questline without any grinding or delay!
  17. ColdPlaya New Member

See the problem here is your dead wrong the faction bauble only works for Current content i tried doing it on my tank because well....there is not anywhere near enough tanks to run zones currently. First thing i ran into was faction bauble DID NOT work and i don't have time to go from 0-60k faction, so that tank will sit and rot with the other alts. Im guessing the faction clicky only works with the new content faction and not with any of the old content. The point is its broken. And you crying about giving people 30 deity potency ect blah blah blah whatever. you totally missed the point and went off in lala land rant.
  18. ColdPlaya New Member

The alts that i work on i Play very VERY well as a matter of fact the alt (Tank) i was trying to work, mainly because people can hardly ever find a tank that can tank for groups i figured id brush the dust off and get him back in tune, whom btw used to be my main for several years before i swapped out. But since i haven't played him since before DOV he is WAY behind. Not to mention almost all my alts have epic repercussions not the fabled so there is that time sink of faction grinding on most of them. People are totally missing the point, giving me a potency boost ect doesn't compensate for my time.
    I have been able to swap to whatever class my current group needed me on if it be my Mage, Healer, scout or whatever and we could run zones, now i don't have enough time to get more than 1-2 Group Ready, because the current content requires so much just to do the content and if you think there is not a problem with this then go get an alt healer or tank and try to get a group or even try to run some of these zones legit, probably not going to happen unless some raid geared folks drag you through the zone, see how many times your gear gets broken. So far i haven't heard a legit argument against my statement.
  19. ColdPlaya New Member

Yes Things have been added to help but not in the way most would have preferred it. Again we was talking about people who don't have a large number of hours a day to dump into this game but want to group with friends and actually "play" and have fun, not be miserable with grinding usless content.
    Again All this is nice after you get past all the dead content that the clicky bauble doesn't even work on.
    Actually it is there is still fewer people playing alts than in the history of this game. yes things have changed a little for some Day in and day out players who have the time to work on them, but for the rest of the casual players (2-4 hours a day) don't have much time to invest and you are very lucky if you can still even get a group. Grinding for Endless hours in Proven grounds isn't much of a compensation for that either. Again i Don't see a valid argument to my original statement here Either.
    Crastinal likes this.
  20. Nelie Well-Known Member

If you ever compared the fighter pre-reqs outside of being 100 crafter/City timeline/Epic1/Ascensions to the Mage/Priest/Scout pre-reqs.....you would know that the JW timeline is more for the TIMELINE count, not faction....So, you can either take it as fighters have:
    (IF Main)
    (1) 2 HQs, 6 Timelines (2 of which don't even need fully completed), and 1 Faction (1 less faction)
    or
    (2) 2 HQs, 5 Timelines (2 of which don't even need fully completed), and 2 Factions (Same as everyone else, 1 less grind feast timeline)

OR

(IF alt that can obtain bauble)
    (1) 2 HQs, 4 Timelines, and 0 Factions (same as everyone else)
    or
    (2) 2 HQs, 3 Timelines, and 1 Faction (cost of having 1 less timeline to grind)

Also, I didn't miss your point, everything I listed CAN be OBTAINED by an ALT. The items listed make them -somewhat- more relevant in helping people play more alts. That is 30-50 points for FREE (note: since this is for free, you do NOT have to grind tithe for potency, this saves time). Same with the 7m xp pots you can give to alts, no more waiting (note: this saves time by removing the time gate for alts). TIME....TIME....TIME.....saved....and your point isn't about time?
    Sorry you do not have your epic 1.0 done but that is totally relevant requirement in order to obtain epic 2.0.

As for your 2nd post to me, feel free to look up my character on Skyfire. I have 0 pieces of raid gear as well as my guild mates and we have geared ourselves, done our epics (even on alts), and have run Experts many times still to this day without being carried by any raider on Skyfire. I built my core of people that I run with. I have completed epic 2.0 so far on mage/scout/tank and have helped numerous people through their epic 2.0s from start to finish. Before you call me a basement dweller who spends all of his time on EQ2, I do have my life and work (40+ hours a week) outside the game that I take care of while managing my guild.

As far as a legit argument, I have listed what DB has done to help them be more relevant. Just because the fix isn't how you liked it, doesn't mean alts are dead.