After Icy Dig nerf... We need alternatives

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Frid, May 20, 2022.

1. Frid Member

We are discusing this over discord as I type this but I really feel this should not be ignored so I am going to request it on the forums.

Right, as many people have pointed out, you are basically swapping Icy Dig with Nektropos Castle: The return. Which is great, I love Nek 2 and Icy Dig was not a thig back then, excellent.

However, I feel we should have alternatives, beause the other instances such as Miragul's Menagerie, Bation of flames and so on are very short.

I think we should get a serious revamp of Solusek Eye's AND Permafrost loot table so they are worth running for loot, other than a couple exceptions like the wand from Crana and some weapons. I feel this change would give plenty of life to the game, running contested dungeons has always been very exciting so please make this happen, will you?
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  2. chat I New Member

I don't remember which dev it was, but one of them specifically said they were looking to create more things to do at level 50 in Shattered Lands. That is a fantastic move, add more, not add Nek and remove ID. It doesn't make sense to swap Nek and ID, make them both challenging, and make them both drop appropriate gear.
    Deafxint likes this.
  3. Frid Member

Gninja mentioned to be that they are removing Icy Dig because it was never meant to be that kind of instance. Fair enough. However, what else will we have to farm? Last time I ran Perm and Sol eye a great % of nameds were dropping level 40 gear, so I think that's a good place to start. Then obviously take a look at the instances inside Sol Eye, Perma and CT.
  4. Sorann New Member

I am confused why Icy Dig Fabled quality items were nerfed to Feerott solo quest reward quality ?

Wasnt it supposed to be the hardest instance of T5, with x2 difficulty mobs with substantial rewards for single grouping them?
  5. Frid Member

I don't understand either. I would have loved to have both Nek 2 and Icy Dig to run. But also if that's their choice I'm fine as long as they give us something else other than Nek2. Because in the previous TLEs the problem was there was nothing else to do in a group other than running Icy Dig, and now it will be the same with Nek 2 (which I love but still). If I was in charge I would do as I said and give Perma and Sol eye the extra love, making contested dungeons relevant again.
  6. Reconnection Member

Icy Digs was actually fun, that was never the issue. The issue was that all other T5 zones were ignored because they either were a snorefest or dropped level 40 gear. Unfortunately, another case of nerfing something instead of focusing on just bringing other stuff up to par. Icy Dig is a fun zone, it should definitely be a thing. It just shouldn't be the only thing. I like the effort the devs are taking for this new server, but they missed the mark on this one.
    Frid likes this.
  7. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

You know what would be fun, making city task raids relevant at 50. There are six of those that could be run for patterns.
  8. Malachy Well-Known Member

We all want raids, contested epics, and dungeon to have loot that makes it worthwhile at 50 to do them, but other than a few heritage quest pieces that may or may not be nearly best in slot, what do the questers get?

I would like to see achievement rewards, similar to the cloak you get for Triumph: Eidolon of the Shattered Lands, except instead of appearance it would be a nearly best in slot item.

It's 4 months at 50, we need a variety of things to do other than make more alts and farm a handful of mobs.
  9. boho Member

This isn't necessary. Quests and collections already produce 3 or 4 slots of bis/pre-bis items. Quests also send you to dungeons, so "Questers" are clearly capable of entering and participating in dungeons.The unique cosmetic rewards are appropriate for these achievements.
  10. Frid Member

We're talking about heroic content anyway. Questing is fine and raiding has been reported to being worked on. How do we replace Icy Dig? Are we OK running Nektropos Castle: The return Ad Nauseam?
  11. Beneeto Member

I'm guessing that the over-nerfing of Icy Dig stuff is because ID is supposed to be a one-time quest instance, not something you farm repeatedly while keeping the quest active in your journal indefinitely. Maybe a better compromise would have been to remove Icy Dig loot's BIS status, but not make it worse than what you get from other 50 instances, and then allow players to run the zone as much as they want even after finishing the questline. I think the issue here is how ID is a surprisingly content-heavy for something you're not supposed to be able to return to; once again a relic of a time when EQ2 still hadn't yet hammered out their design philosophy and was still just throwing things at the wall.
  12. Malachy Well-Known Member

I feel like that is the exact wrong response. In essence, "we don't need a variety of more things to do to get good upgrades, we just need another heroic zone to farm." All of this farm gear will be on the broker. Anything special from a contested will probably be forever camped and unattainable except on broker. Probably the only things that won't are HQs, Hunters and items like I just suggested coming from achievements.

So, yeah, a great cloak with stats from an achievement that requires literally hundreds of quests doesn't seem like an unreasonable reward. Remember this post when the Seraph cloak is camped 24/7 and you can only get something of equal value on the broker for a krono.
    adaria likes this.
  13. Zenji Well-Known Member

Seeing how it is a x4 raid mob now... ;)

If you want raid gear, kill raid mobs.
    If you don't raid, you don't need raid gear.
    Mahgnus likes this.
  14. boho Member

Questers already get more than enough gear to do their quests in through questing. If you want raid-quality gear for some reason, you can always, I dunno, raid. Or, as you noted, pony up some Krono. Free-trade is an intentionally casual friendly ruleset.
    Mahgnus likes this.
  15. Venser Active Member

id love to see Seraph camped by a raid 24/7 with it's what, 4mil hp and 8k AE. Icy Dig will finally offer something useful in the quest line, probably a BiS cloak. js. not sure summoners will be in the same place they are in the coming weeks, and loot is being changed around to where something like Seraph doesnt have the only BiS cloak and has 200k hp with 0 dmg. it's a little different than Kaladim.
    Beneeto likes this.
  16. Smashey Well-Known Member

T5 is bad and has always been bad. Back in the days most people spent the entire tier just leveling and a few people finished the prismatic quest line.

Why are we trying to invent something that wasnt there, such as T5 endgame? This is why high XP for shattered lands is an awful idea to begin with.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  17. Venser Active Member

They literally never played T5, or have forgotten completely. T5 is one of the biggest messes they have, and it was always completed so quickly.
  18. boho Member

No, but it's why four months of SL is a bad idea.

Slower XP only punishes people with short or inconsistent play schedules.
    adaria, Zenji and Mizgamer62 like this.
  19. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

Probably because we want a reason to play the game beyond rose-tinted glasses, including improvements to the gameplay, because we've had nostalgia fill in the previous TLEs and there has to be something more than that. If all we had was nostalgia and a slow af leveling grind, most of the server would lose their interest. We can always seek to improve the experience so that there's more to enjoy about the game that we love.
    boho and Mizgamer62 like this.
  20. Wiegraf Member

Neither was stacking xp pots with a static group to grind to level 50 in 10 hours.

+1 vote for those saying the nek2 changes are welcome, but think icy digs should be itemized to be very similar - running both to get gear to supplement raid progression, but nothing from either should be close to BiS compared to raid gear.