Advice on Class to Duo with Necromancer

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Ninina, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Ninina New Member

Me and a friend are coming back to this game after years and years away (or never in my case, I stayed EQ1) and we are playing on the progression server. He knows exactly what he wants to play, a Necromancer. I on the other hand have no clue as to what I want to play. I'm looking for a class that would synergize with him, but also be useful in groups as I think these games are the most fun with more people. Plus you never know when you might meet a new friend. I've tried to whittle the list of classes down to one, but I failed, so here is what Is left and my thoughts. If I missed a better choice please point it out.

Illusionist: I love pure support. Mezing will help keep his tank pet going, Buffs will help keep us fighting, especially power regen so he can heal more often, and the nukes never hurt. Also this seems to be a class the can group well

Wizard: Dead things don't do damage. The pet can tank and he can heal the pet. I've never really done DPS in an MMO, I'm always healer or support so it might be something fresh

SK: Thematically nice, life taps help with the whole not having a healer thing, Tanks are usually needed by groups.

Bard of some kind: I liked bards a lot in EQ1 so maybe I'd like them here?

Mystic/Defiler: Buff, hurt and heal. I love buffing, I've played a lot of healers in more modern games where support is forgotten. Hurting is useful I guess.

Finally a bit about my personality. I LOVE support. I know that is a bit strange, but EQ1 was my first MMO and I fell in love with the bard. Why? First I got to make other people better. I may not have been a star, but to the stars I was a hero! Second unlike some other support classes, I always had something to do, no buffing an then sitting in the corner. Third Tactical and Reactive. I spent most of my time thinking about the situations I would use songs in, how each would be useful. I didn't spend time learning a complex rotation but instead reacted to situations. I was less about precise timing and understanding the flow of battle and influencing it.

Anyway for making it this far you have my thanks. I have a long road ahead of me, but I look forward to meeting you all at the end of it. Once again you have my thanks
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I played a SK in EQ and loved her. So I made one in EQ2 and played her the same way. A platemail wearing DPS that doesn't do near the damage of a rogue but more survivability! Unholy Blessing (lifetap that is a damage shield plus self heals for each hit done to you) is castable on others. Let the necro pet tank, you target the pet and can cast helpful spells on it OR harmful spells on ITS target! But you can still backup tank (kinda) as needed. My guild leader is a necro and when there was just the two of us as the only active members in the guild, would do that very strategy. That and mercs for back up DPS and tanking, and we had LOTS of fun and memories.

Just my story, but you find your own path. Just know, even as f2p, you have 2 slots for toons so try out 2 different classes.

Good luck and I hope you and your friend will stick around. Let us know what server you are on and you might get some new friends to join you!
  3. Moorefallen Active Member

2 Necros for the win!
    DoomDrake likes this.
  4. Ashenheart Member

As a necro I can tell you - you can duo with almost anyone. Get a PC tank and use your scout or mage pet. Get a PC healer or mage and use your tank pet. Just keep in mind your tank pet does not generate nearly as much aggro as a PC. Paladins are great partners because of amends. Most of the time when I group its with an SK or a Defiler. I use my scout pet then.
  5. Ninina New Member

Thanks for all the advice. It's good to know that Necros are flexible with their pairings. I'm a little sad that the sk can't really tank and has to rely on the Necro Pet. Does make me lean toward the a buffing class, if I'm gonna be buffing anyway. I guess most of my fears revolve around the time commitments that it takes to really get to 30 and understand ones class. Leveling 4+ character while he is only doing one is gonna be super harsh.

To those wondering we are playing on the Progression server, so Stormhold.
  6. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Um, SK can tank amazingly. Use an SK and win.
  7. Meneltel Well-Known Member

SKs are GREAT tanks, I just prefer to play mine as a platemail wearing sub-par warlock with greater survivability! *grins maliciously from the shadows*
  8. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

I'd say make conjuror - it be kings duo - conj pets are awesome tanks and between 2 pet class you will have all power you need for duo
    Well geared BL can do well with necro as a tank (with right specs and in spiritual).
  9. Meirril Well-Known Member

First, I highly recommend you and your friend pick up either the Mercenary feature (costs $15) or buy the Kunark Ascending expansion (costs $40, comes with a bunch of percs including unlocking both Mercenaries and the ability to give them equipment). Being able to pick up 2 NPCs who will fight for you basically gives you a full party that you can use to do almost all content until you hit 90-ish. The mercs will fall behind after 90, but still be useful enough in some situations.

If you are going to make a bard, I'd recommend Troubadour. Their buffs are slightly more caster specific and they have crowd control abilities. Crowd control abilities are no where near as powerful as they are in EQ1. That said if you learn how to make the most of them it can make a huge difference.

Mystic or Defiler is a very strong choice. Generally speaking the most powerful healer in the game, having a player healer over a merc is preferred, though having a merc healer around is good even with a player healer around. Merc healers are generally slow to heal but very quick on curing debuffs.

If you are going to go tank, I'm going to recommend Bezerker. More or less that is the default best tank in the game. SK does more DPS than other tanks but have low amounts of agro control which can be a problem, especially when there is a disparity in gear. Paladin has amends to handle agro, but is a very low DPS tank. Nothing wrong with monk/brawler/guardian as a tank, but Bezerker with its self-healing outshines them. Yes, Bezerkers get self healing at higher levels as a passive effect.

Another class you might consider is Brigand. Out of all the DPS classes this one has the most tanking potential. Also it has a series of stuns and debuffing attacks. Being able to stun-lock one mob for around 10-15 seconds is very strong.

I'd recommend not choosing a mage to pair with a mage simply because you'd both be after the same drops. My number one pick off this list would be mystic. I hope this helps.
  10. Springelf Active Member

On Stormhold we dont have mercs.

As a necro I would say best duo is another necro. I play 2 necros together and we just lay waste. If things go wrong we both FD. I use a tank pet on my main necro and a scout pet on the other. Its like taking candy from a baby.
    Moorefallen likes this.
  11. Sennen Well-Known Member

I usually see necros with defiler bots laying waste to zones.