Account warning possible permanent ban ?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Londoner, May 10, 2020.

1. Londoner Member

I have received notification that my account has been issued a warning with a possible full time membership ban for an inappropriate character name.

What I am unsure about is he as I have no indication what toon has created an offence and have no recent toons. Most of my toons are years old and I have been playing everyday since launch.

I am a disabled player, do not go on holiday and my main relaxation is playing this game, in fact one of my toons is a guild leader. I only solo and in the main keep myself to myself.

Obviously I would like to continue playing this game and this report has caused me unduly worry and anxiety,

What do I do now if I am unsure what toon has a inappropriate name ?

So I am now facing a permanent ban for what I do not know what I have done wrong, surely this is unfair ?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

Can you reply back to them and ask them which toon has been flagged with an inappropriate name? Sometimes you can go years and then someone will decide they don't like your name and report it and sometimes just because they feel like being mean. I would start by trying to find out which character it is, I'm surprised they didn't tell you that.
    Dude, Kittybock and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Londoner Member

Thank you for your reply Breanna, I replied to the email as Ithe email did not contain the name. I will rename the toon that is causing offence but just do not want to rename any until I receive a reply from Daybreak. My worry is that they don’t see the reply in time before my account is banned.

Obviously I only want to rename the toon that is causing offence as name changes on the marketplace are not cheap.
  4. Xianthia Well-Known Member

You can also ask them to rename your character. Submit a petition and include the ticket number (do you get a ticket number when emailed?hmm) give them a list of three names that you'd like and ask them to rename the toon. They may/may not do it, but worth a shot on your part.

It may not be a case of being malicious. It may be a case that character's name wasn't seen and then it was.
    e.g. ... I have "inappropriatelynamedcharacter" for years, then you finally see my character and report it.

Was it malicious or more just timing and luck that no one caught me until then?
    Kittybock and Breanna like this.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

6. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Beware of a phishing scam!!!

Check the email sender (should be an official Daybreak address). I would confirm the warning through a /petition. Do not reply to the email, open any attachments, or share any account information. Go through official channels such as a Support webpage or petition.
    Avianna and Breanna like this.
  7. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

This may be a phishing scam. They would have probably identified the account and offending character. Do not share any other information. (If you did share information, change your password and/or enable two-factor authentication immediately). Initiate and work through official channels (petition or Daybreak website).

Scammers will try to get you worried and worked up (time limit) in order to get you to divulge your information. I doubt Daybreak would not give you a sufficient time to change your name (relatively minor offense).
    Xianthia and Breanna like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing Benito did, make sure you can see the entire email address and make sure it is a daybreak games email address.
    Dude, Benito, Xianthia and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You might also ask Dreamweaver for clarification.
    Benito, Argosunited and Breanna like this.
  10. Breanna Well-Known Member

I didn't realize he/she got an e-mail he just said he received notification. Yes for sure if it was an e-mail be very careful of those. Like everyone above said. I've received those e-mails before at our shop, and they had actually hacked one of our customers and was using their e-mail address, so it looked like it was coming from them. I actually called the customer to find out if the e-mail was true or not, and since then I have never trusted anything like that.
  11. dorotea Well-Known Member

I also agree this may be something phony. Daybreak should not threaten a ban unless the name is really hateful. as in an obviously intentional racial or religious slur. If the name is bad enough they should change it immediately. If they do not change it they should tell you the name so you can change it. Daybreak has improved - I would never have thought I would say this but when I see something that is obviously both wrong and ridiculous I no longer say to myself "yep vintage Daybreak".
    Cyrrena, Benito and Xianthia like this.
  12. Avithax Well-Known Member

From experience, They won't issue a threat of a ban for naming violations without renaming the toon and also removing your pet naming ability for a short while. I would be highly suspicious of this email and pass along the text in the form of a petition on your account. Even just for clarification of the offensive name.
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I get phishing emails once every two weeks (from "Ebay" or another company) but they go automatically to my junk folder. A dead giveaway is the email address' .com (need to expand to see), poor grammar, misspellings, and/or doctored logo. Though, the best ones look totally legit but ultimately ask for a log in (a heck no).

I would wonder how a phisher knows which specific game you play unless you sign up for a fan site (or RMT site - not saying that applies here).
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Londoner Member

Hi all thank you for your kind replies.
    It became apparent when I logged onto my account today that it was not a scam or a phishing email.
    The toon in question was Nutscratcher to which someone had taken offence to although I can understand that this name can be construed to be something that someone did not like.
    The name came to light as I live in a quiet English Village which is very remote in the North of England which has a variety of wildlife as there is only about ten houses in the village.
    The village has an old castle which is not a ruin and where I live is the forge where the horses used to be shod in the olden days and also a church which is one of the first in England, St Brandon.
    At the bottom of my garden are various trees years old and an oak to which the squirrels gather the acorns and scratch about hence the name Nutscratcher.
    Anyway the toons name was kindly changed which will suffice until I can come up with a suitable name change to my liking then I will buy a name change potion.
    It’s sad that players take offence without speaking to the player but I guess that is life.

Thank you for all your kindness and replies.
    Take care all and stay safe.
    Chris
  15. Bludd Well-Known Member

londoner, you may have a free /rename now so dont buy a potion before trying /rename on that toon
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy, Svenone and 3 others like this.
  16. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

In game, do you note in settings of your character social interaction with third-party sites. For example, to upload your toon to https://u.eq2wire.com/ You have facebook and twitter accounts. You write on this and other thematic forums. You are using browser extensions. You allow the acceptance of cookies from third-party sites. Your friends mention you somewhere. While you write on this forum in other browser tabs pages of other sites are open. List goes on. In any case, all available info about you is collected by robot also robot's is sorted. Next this info is sold very cheaply. And fisher is looking at finished ones, sorted data about you. Can say that not only Facebook and Twitter, but also DBG and almost everyone who offers you something on Internet, they all unintentionally help phishers, do lion's share of work for them. Because they try to offer you convenience. And also because more or less are embroiled in interests of third parties. Not to mention all kinds of viruses that most live on your mobile devices, such as phones. Which regularly merge information to interested parties on side. Be sure that if you went to this forum from your phone, then most likely phisher will know about this. Microsoft also although it claims to protect you from phishers, in fact it unintentionally helps a lot to them. Especially it's worth worrying who still uses windows 7. You are already hacked by robots. So relax.. Oh yes, default Windows 10 settings are the same great gift for phishers, and especially default Android settings.. Therefore, go to sites of serious anti-virus companies and carefully study all recommendations on how not to fall for the bait of phishers. It should be noted right away that this is like face mask-guard in real life, which does not save at all from coronovirus infection. And even if you transfer to another planet it will not help. We all will die. But.. this game will live (as I wrote about this before), at least until evil white shark gnaws through last cable at bottom of ocean. Perhaps Google is to blame more than others (surely inadvertently)
  17. Kaldrun Member

sorry but i just had to say...it was worth the wait to see that it was "Nutscratcher"! lol :p
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  18. Nunja Well-Known Member

They normally change that toons name. You will log in and boom it is changed to some random name. If you are a habitual offender then they will do something but most times you get a name change by a GM
    Cyrrena likes this.
  19. dorotea Well-Known Member

>
    it was worth the wait to see that it was "Nutscratcher"<

I can understand how losing that name could make someone bawl.
    Kaldrun, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  20. Breanna Well-Known Member

DOH!
    Cyrrena likes this.