Accepted as MT, viable DPS - stop moaning pls!

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Wildfury77, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Wiou Guest

Seriously?

Only point here: If you parse 12-14k, you are way overgeared , your point should be ignored. The original responder to the thread was right.
  2. ARCHIVED-Wildfury77 Guest

In good gear but was doing 10k in T3 shard set + myth. Hardly top-end gear!! WOE isn't exactly challenging these days--> I tank it in PUGs successfully of late.
    A lot depends on the classes you group with:
    Monk(MT),Dirge,Chanter,Swashie,Warden + either Brigand (TSO zones) or Shaman (Raid MT)
    I prefer Shaman+Druid for when i raid tank/offtank.
    I prefer Brigand + 1 healer for all the TSO zones.
  3. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Grondak@Nagafen wrote:
    People will always have some sort of excuse. I love when they make the whole 'you raid avatars' excuse until I point out I wear 1 avatar item and 2 charms.
  4. ARCHIVED-Stalack Guest

Well I was here shopping for a new Monk for my guild I ran upon this thread. The Monk we are trying to replace was able to tank Ykesha, Miragul, Field General, Field General adds, Anashti and pretty much anything else we asked him to. We want a monk for their versatility, able to tank, able to DPS, the have great buffs. Its a great class and the more you work at it the more you can do. Please someone step up and come raid with us on Guk. We have killed everything but Munzok and want to get him down.

Ganner on Guk
  5. ARCHIVED-Eugam Guest

Grondak@Nagafen wrote:
    More initial hate. One of the reasons why people dont want to have Monks tank is that he needs time to build hate. I am not fabled geared, just shard armor. I am tank specced and now have two taunts, rescue, peel and the "rescue" from AA. The timers are bit slow for group instances and i miss some sort of initial hate burst. Because usually the others have to wait for me, not me for them.
    Building the "perfect" group isnt an option here. I almost exclusively tank for guildies who need a tank for something to achieve. This means i maybe play with two healers, a summoner and other random classes.
  6. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

Single target hate should not be an issue for folks here. Multi-target I can agree with, but single target I find myself sometimes having to sit back and just autoattack while I'm hovering at 90% on the hate meter...without any hate buffs on. Monks have hands-down the best single-target aggro of any tank in this game, guardian included. Granted, its not like single-target aggro counts for much these days, since everything either memwipes or has 20 adds, but it certainly isn't something to complain about, heh.
  7. ARCHIVED-Siatfallen Guest

Vinka@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I'd point to itemization as a major factor here. Monks are very dependant on autoattacks to generate hate and have always been. Anyone who doesn't run ideal weapons are going to be in trouble in regards to aggro. Ideal weapons nowadays includes the mythical; we can go about how mythical weapons are really defining the classes they belong to nowadays, but for those who do not have it, I can understand the problem.
    I should note, of course, that I've not taken a serious look at the x2 weapons - I just remember the huge jump in DPS (and hence threat) output upon getting the mythical.
    Best fix to this? Make taunts mean something as far as keeping aggro is concerned. That would lower the need for boosting our DPS output. Nothing you don't all know already.
  8. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Siatfallen wrote:
    If people you are grouping with are at your gear level then you don't need a mythical, however, it isn't really feasible for someone non mythicaled to think they can hold agro off of mythed dps.
  9. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

I was speaking of equally well-geared tanks, actually. And it isn't entirely just autoattack damage--even if you take dps entirely out of the equation (on mobs like Tuskers before you get to the enraged part of the fight) I find that the raw hate generation of a brawler on a single target, pretty much exclusively from our two taunts and dragon rage proccing, seems to be greater than most other tanks. Of course, holy ground and grave sacrament more than make up for the difference in hate generation, and are far more valuable when those inevitable memwipes come, but its been my experience that if a mob doesn't memwipe, I'm not going to lose aggro unless someone does something dumb in the first few seconds of the fight.
    Truth of the matter is, single-target aggro is one area where we're doing just fine. I'm certainly not happy with our AE survivability, would like strikethrough to go away, want to be able to up our mitigation as easily as plates up their avoidance, etc., but there are some areas where we're totally golden.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    I have been doing this ever since TSO came out, successfully I might add.
  11. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Lethe5683 wrote:
    You just play with bad dpsers then.
  12. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    No, I just have a good group setup and am good at tanking.
  13. ARCHIVED-mr23sgte Guest

I expect SF to be just like TSO for Brawlers without the shiney farming capability. Nothing will change ............
  14. ARCHIVED-GrandmaC Guest

I've got 3 Monks, they kick butt as MT or as support. I love the class because it's fun. So THERE!!!

as for the rest of the complainers and finger pointers...

YAWWWWWNNNNNNN....................
  15. ARCHIVED-jeffdo Guest

Single target hate should not be an issue for folks here. Multi-target I can agree with, but single target I find myself sometimes having to sit back and just autoattack while I'm hovering at 90% on the hate meter
    ---
    Are you in offense when you are doing this? I have trouble with aggro on my monk, and he is reasonably well geared. (Full t4 raid, mythical etc.) In offense I can hold aggro better, but it seems to me that monks are kind of broken if we hold aggro better in our offense stance than in our tanking stance.
    However I can still lose aggro to mythical dps even in offense. It seems if they are putting out 10k+ I have a very hard time holding it, I can pull it back with snap aggroes but it is a constant battle to keep the mob on me. Aoe is a mess.
    As for tanking, once I had mythical and decent mit (5500 self buffed in defense) it seems to have gotten alot easier. Other than the aoe aggro issues for brawlers, my biggest problem with the class is how much easier it is for plate tanks to get avoidance than it is for a brawler to get mitigation.