About future expansions

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-dyne88542324, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-dyne88542324 Guest

Just wanna check if this would be the right place to speculate about future expansions
  2. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

3. ARCHIVED-dyne88542324 Guest

Ok so here is my take on what "could" happen with an eventual lead up to the planes of power. Do correct me if i am mistaken as i can't get all the lore right yet...
    Now from what i have learned so far with the lore behind Sentinel's Fate and the Shadow Oddesy as well as Ruins of Kunark is 3 things:
    1) The sleeper Kerafyrm from eq is now loose somewhere in norrath as mentioned by Yelinak the Ancient in Thurgadin. And somehow i believe it has something to do with the forces of rime. He needs to be A) Be slain once and for all, or B) Sealed away for good this time. *
    2) We need our Gods back such as they are however to do that Rohan Theer has got to go. And seal off the underfoot in the hole.
    3) We need to re-access luclin or whatever is left of it. And I'm sure there are beings alive as we all know how resourceful gnomes are.
    Now 1 and 2 could potenially be and Adventure pack that involes quite a few heroic and epic quest lines to seal the Sleeper and bump off theer. Prolly 3 or 4 new areas big overland places in regards to the sleeper and rime and another dungeon OR a revamp for the palace of rohan theer to make sure hes gone for good. More than enough there to add to heroic and raid content even some minor crafting to help with the whole sleeper issue. Since i think the gods ALL of the worked to gether to seal the sleeper the first time theer would need to dead and gone in advance.
    3 on the other could actually be a full expansion with maybe some pre-ludes like the beast lord events to gear up to getting back to luclin and hopeing shes not TOO piced. I mean luclin and the plains of power have a vast amount of content potential and appeal tot he lorekeepers the explorers and the hardcore grinders/raiders. I don't know how many people remember luclin or Planes of power but it would take quite awhile to work through all that content even for the hardcore, it would natrually need to be scaled up prolly around 100 or 110 and maybe 400 AA or so for whatever else gets added since its been so long since anyone from norrath was there but it would be well worth it to see a large chunk of the dungeons heroic and epic.
    This is just some speculation on my part as really i won't have been playing a year till Feb 16th but yeah i think it could make alot of people happy and prolly tick off others lol.
  4. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

Kayhle@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I believe you misunderstand a bit of the lore, here. Theer is not our enemy, his job is to keep the gods in check. We were actually duped into attacking Theer by Kerafyrm, who used the opportunity to steal Theer's godslaying powers while he was weakened. Now Kerafyrm has Theer's power, but as Theer himself told us, he cannot wield it properly because the power was never meant to be out of Theer's hands. Because the godslaying powers are so unstable within Kerafyrm, there is a chance that killing Kerafyrm would release those powers disastrously, possibly destroying the entire universe.
    The gods have already returned to Norrath, they did so back during the Echoes of Faydwer era. However, they have decided that taking personal action against Kerafyrm and starting a divine war on Norrath would likely be just as destructive as allowing Kerafyrm to have is way, so they have not yet made their move. The only god who didn't agree to this plan was Rallos Zek, who tried to physically travel to Norrath from his Plane of War, bringing his entire fortress with him. He hoped to slay Kerafym and claim the godslaying powers for himself, thereby becoming the true king of the gods. Unfortunately for him, he underestimated the Zek trio (Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon)--whom he planned to sacrifice in order to more quickly establish his power on the mortal plane--and was defeated by an alliance between them and the mortals (Note that this event has yet to actually occur on any server, since SOE totally failed to produce balanced raid content for Drunder and the Plane of War).
    Rallos Zek is evidentally now dead, and Sullon Zek has taken his place in the Pantheon. Now attention must turn to the Western Wastes, where Kerafyrm's armies of the Cult of the Awakened are laying seige to Skyshrine. The Claws of Veeshan are fighting a losing battle, which is what lead their leader, Yelinak, to travel to Thurgadin to ask for the aid of the Coldain. The Order of Rime really aren't involved in any of this, except for the fact that their leader, Kraytoc, wanted to capture Yelinak in order to steal his life force and become immortal. Since Yelinak was in Thurgadin, and he refused to deal with the Rime himself, the Coldain were too hard-pressed defending their homes to spare any of their army to aid the Claws. We adventurers took care of that problem by stealing the Coelescence of Life--the artifact Kraytoc was going to use to steal Yelinak's life essence--and, presumably, killing Kraytoc (though I have no evidence that Kraytoc's death is canon, just killing him in a raid zone doesn't make it true, lore-wise).
    There are several other currently open plot threads that I am pretty sure will be continued in the foreseeable future, including the Erollisi vs. Ullkoruuk story, the Ratonga vs. Roekillik story, and whatever grand scheme Mayong Mistmoore has in mind regarding the Age's End Prophecy. There have also been certain dialogue sequences that hint at some future events involving the remnants of the Combine Empire, but that is all still very murky.
    However, I personally think it unlikely that we will see an expansion similar to EQ1's Planes of Power. The developers of EQ2 have stated in the past they they wanted to avoid allowing players to ransack the planes and slaughter the deities as they did in the past. Indeed, the entire premise of EQ2 centers around all the problems that arose due to mortals doing just that. This is why we have only gotten access to tiny shards of the planes, and the only deity we have fought in person was Rallos Zek, who came to Norrath on his own terms.
    Also, I highly doubt we will see any return to Luclin. The destruction of Luclin is an important plot device in EQ2, and it would harm the credibility of the narrative if they were to ignore or undo it. We very well may find out that various key players from Luclin survived (I personally hope the Shissar escaped somehow and will be back en force sometime in the future), but I don't anticipate ever going back there (I mean, the thing is basically blasted chunks of space debris at this point, there isn't much left to explore).
  5. ARCHIVED-Ragnorrokk Guest

I just hope that western wastes ect can live up to even half of what eq1 was like
    Be nice to see some kind of plot where rallos zek betrays the giants and once again you can choose to faction with them
    also heres hoping that temple of veeshan is still out there and is even half of what it was like in scars of velious
  6. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

A couple of comments for Cheeseman:

We fought Anashti Sul. While every other "Avatar" was a stated and declared "Planar Manifestation", Anashti Sul was not. It was actually her, in the flesh. Some would argue her status as a true god, but for all intensive purposes, she was, and still is one.

The graphic of Luclin in the sky, leaves a very open door to the possibility of it reforming. Just watch the little animation. I would not be suprised if some day, the spire in Terens Grasp was used to make a connection to a remnants of a spire on Luclin. So while the destruction of Luclin played a part in the launch of EQ2, it's hardly a sealed deal for all time to come.
  7. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

You're right about Anashti-Sul, of course. I just didn't think about her because she didn't actually die, and wasn't really part of the pantheon at the time. However, the point still stands that we have only been allowed to battle gods in very specific, storyline-relevant situations; never as mere loot pinatas.
    Obviously we live in a magical world where the developers can do whatever they wish. If they wanted to magically re-create Luclin from the charred remains we see in the sky, obviously they have that power. However, I personally feel that a story is stronger when you don't undo the tragedies that occur within it, but instead allow those events to shape the narrative. It's like the first rule of improvisation: saying "Yes, and..."
    The developers could undo anything that has happened in the history of Everquest if they like, but doing so wouldn't be in the best interests of a compelling, internally-consistent story.
  8. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Cheeseman: According to the ogre quests, Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon rule together as the "God" of War. Their title is "The Hounds of War", and they are all equal in power, and together were equal to Rallos in his prime.
  9. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

Ahh, good to know, thanks!
  10. ARCHIVED-dyne88542324 Guest

Ah I see well maybe having them back where they are killable is a problem but the areas theselves both parts of luclin and Planes of power should still be viable.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ragnorrokk Guest

I really have a feeling if developers drop the ball on western wastes it will be the death of everquest 2 so lets pray that it is a good one and lets see temple of veeshan again
  12. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

Avirodar@Oasis wrote:
    All excellent points.
    Also, pro tip--"intents and purposes".
  13. ARCHIVED-creekerrr Guest

Ragnorrokk wrote:
    I agree whole heartedly as Velious was my all-time favorite expansion in EQ1 and I played *most* of them. Western Wastes in particular was a zone I spent a lot of time in back in the day and the few zones next to it. However, playing through and seeing what they've already shown us with Velious in EQ2 doesnt in my personal opinion have high hopes for it. Velious thus far has been one of the largest letdowns for an expansion out of any that they have released in EQ2. The last "true" expansion I feel for EQ2 was Kunark or EoF. Everything past that have been half-a$$ed jokes of so-called "expansions". Everything since those have been 1-2 zones and 12983 instances.... Yeah, real fun... Not. Where's the "world" anymore SoE? You havent created anything worldly since Kunark or EoF. Nothing but instances ontop of more instances. Your doing nothing to bring the world alive with the path you guys have been going at all.
    If these last remaining GU's fail to capture anything even close to Western Wastes, Skyshrine, Sirens Grotto, Necropolis or Temple of Veeshan, Itll break the camels back for me and I will be done with the game. I had high hopes coming back to EQ2 and Velious but man what a let down its been so far... Its sad too because Velious was so amazing, they had so much they could do with it in EQ2 yet theyve made it so small and pathetic.
  14. ARCHIVED-creekerrr Guest

Ragnorrokk wrote:
    Here Here brother!
  15. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

im pretty sure soe wants eq2 to die. they want those loyal to eq franchise to create momentum for eqnext, not get spread out across its various iterations.
  16. ARCHIVED-TurnNBurn Guest

In a way I would have to agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to bring Luclin back. It would kind of defeat the purpose of my paladin's story of being the grand daughter of a hero who went to Luclin in an effor to try to evacuate it on the premise that she knew that that moon's destruction was certain, only to be lost with the inhabitants. I will also agree that it would be interesting to see what's left. After all, Luclin isn't completely destroyed either. What's to say that some portions of it didn't survive? It wouldn't surprise me if one day SOE decides to surprise us with a mini expansion. Where we get to stumble across the ruined Bazaar, where ghostly adventurers are still hawking their wares. Or coming across the ruins of Shar Vahl, where the skeletal and ghostly remains of the long dead Vah Shiir still haunt the streets of the ruined and crumbling city? Just because SOE at the time said they would never allow that place to exist again, doesn't mean they won't change their stance in the future. Not if it means more profit for them later on.
  17. ARCHIVED-Halo of G4 Guest

ratbastard wrote:
    It was originally intended to die. EQ2 is a lore driven MMO. The plot of EQ2 was planned for quite a while. Unlike WoW, EQ1, and other MMO's, every expansion EQ2 is a conclusion of the previous one. Original game introduced to us to the Shattered Lands featuring plot elements such as the struggle of the two last civilizations in Shatterlands, the strange invasion of the void, and the dragons. The first expansion introduced us to the lost god. The second introduced us to the Cult of the Awakened and the QC (halof the sword of destiny). The third introduced us to the lore of the second piece of the Sword of Destiny. The fourth expansion unraveled the Age's End prophecy. The fifth brought us a conclusion to the lost god and why the void is attacking norrath. The sixth is the conclusion of the void and its ties to Odus. And seventh (velious) is the conclusion of the events that happened as Cheese described.

For those who think EQ2 is going to have expansions that are based off of discovery alone (like in EQ1) or rediscovery of non important areas like Highkeep, Warsilk, Kithicor Forest, or Rathe Mountains. Forget it, it's not going to happen. Those areas have nothing to do with the main storyline. My best guess is that after DoV Part 2, we're going to have one last expansion that will bring an end to the EQ2 storyline. Some might disagree with me, but I got a theory that everything will point back to the Planes as the final chapter with the Plane of Time being the last. As if to 'undo' something terrible that will happen. I dunno, best assumption.
  18. ARCHIVED-Celline-Layonaire Guest

Halo of G4 wrote:
    So you guys are saying, they originally designed this game to last only certain number of years after launch? Or my reading comprehension is really that bad? Why would they do that kinda thing... I wonder? @_@a