A True Classic Server

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Gnaeus, May 11, 2017.

1. Gnaeus New Member

So I get the concept behind the TLS and the other world first servers. But both of them miss a trick in my opinion. The classic experience. I remember around a year after the launch of the game. People who weren't just ramming content every second were still well under level cap. Antonica was full of people, transports weren't instant and almost no one had a mount. I know that unraveling the twisted update cycles from live must be a pain, but I distinctly remember SOE saying they designed EQ2 to be able to go back to earlier builds unlike EQ1 when they tried doing the progression servers.

The reason EQ2 feels so foreign now I believe is the changes to the main cities, the cash shop feel to everything and the lack of classic balance to loot.

It's 2017, the game populations are very low. However surely Daybreak could invest some money into creating a true classic server that keeps that original launch loot and balance and actually releases expansions only a year after launch (like it did originally).

Since Daybreaks seems incapable of making a new Everquest we must make due with this one.

The other option is I would imagine the modding community would be happy to make a classic server like P1999 if you allowed them.
  2. Rozyn Well-Known Member

Since this is an MMO and in constant development, they can't just pull out the 'old' itemization and stat allocation original EQ2 from a CD-R and pop it in their disc drive. They'd have to re-develop that. And as it stands right now, any changes to stats or itemization also effect Live. I don't know why from the technical standpoint, but it's very frustrating for both devs and players alike. When you understand these issues, you see why the TLE is such a hot mess without active development on a game that already has active development on Live servers. IMO it's important for anyone interested in the TLE's and throwback servers to know these things, as it helps temper expectations. As for DBG giving them money for what would essentially be an emulator, I mean, that'd be awesome, but right now I'm just happy they keep EQ2 running at all.

I hope I don't sound dismissive, because it's all been said many times before and I personally agree with you, I'm just trying to point out the reality of the situation.