A few questions re: recipes/items from returning player

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by blackjack, Apr 5, 2018.

1. blackjack Well-Known Member

On an unrelated note: is the new expac (and by extension, the previous one, Kunark was it?) worth it for someone who's mainly just going to craft/deco/chat/RP/basically be a doorstop/maybe do something productive once in a while? I play too casually to care about raiding/endgame but if there's super cool stuff in the storyline I'll consider picking it up.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

There are a lot of cool new carpenter recipes to make from lvl 101-110, and if you buy the collector's edition, you will also get the recipes from that to make some cool new house items, and a cool tinker home for each of your characters as well. It really all depends on whether you feel the value is worth what you will get out of it. I know the first time I did the Tradeskill sig line for the new expac, I got very frustrated with it, but now that I've done it a few times over, I actually enjoy it.

It's very much like an adventurer's quest-line, with one exception...if you leveled your character's adventuring and ascension skills, it doesn't matter...if you gain agro from the mobs, you CANNOT defend yourself. There are some mobs that spawn randomly, then despawn...I found that if I get agro from those mobs, rather than stand still and try to fight them...just kite them around until they despawn and as long as you've managed to avoid the regular beasts in the zone...you'll be fine. If you stand still and fight, your character WILL die. For people who are strictly tradeskiller's and don't like to adventure much, I can see where this timeline can be quite onerous for them.

The only other thing that makes this timeline onerous, is that the combines take quite a while to finish up, and you have at least four combines to complete in each of the instances. Once you've completed the sig line, and are able to do the dailies, some of those repeatable combines have been eliminated, to where you can click on a certain object and receive the items you would have otherwise crafted, that can then be used to finish the daily, with at least one combine to be done in each daily mission. The combines still take quite a while, even in the daily missions, but still seem to not take as long as the Vesspyr weekly mission combine takes.

The rewards from the dailies are not exactly enticing, but they are at least tradeskill oriented rewards, rather than useless infusers which were originally given out. You get recipes for the different tradeskill professions, Tears of Ro currency, three rubicite ore or whatever they are called that can be sold to the guild merchant for status, and from the weekly mission, you also get another special form of currency that can be traded in for stuff. I haven't really looked into what you can trade those in for yet, so I am not sure if they are worthwhile to get. To complete the weekly mission, you must complete three daily missions, so if there are any TS missions you don't like doing, you can choose to skip those and do only the ones you like. I would actually love if they would add the potential to get some house items from the dailies, even if it's a rare chance to get them. It would at least give the sense that doing the daily's is actually worthwhile. Currently the only reason I even do the daily missions is so I can get the weekly mission done, in hopes that those special currency will be worthwhile when I actually decide to look further into what I can get for them.

The harvesting dailies basically just send you out to harvest in the Plane of Magic, and when you complete the quest, you get pretty much double the amount of stuff you were requested to harvest, along with several 'rares'. Personally, I would have preferred that they just added the Plane of Magic to guild harvesters and pack ponies and been done with it, but since they did not do that, this is about the only way you're going to get the mats to use on those new carpenter recipes.
  3. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thanks yet again for the very detailed response, Merriel. :)

I'm not really looking at any of the fancy editions, just the standard. The collector edition items look great, but at $90-$140, wew laddie.

My character is/was an adventurer, just hasn't been out of the garage in a long time so to speak, so I'd probably do both the adventurer sig line for the lore and the tradeskill one for the treats - seems like doing adventuring first would be the way to go.

The daily/weekly grind sounds like a long-term project for me, which I could do at my snail's pace even if it's not very exciting. But access to tons of cool new furniture could definitely make it worthwhile then. Hm.
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What I do is wait until the "newest" expansion is on 50% off sale in November, just before they release the newer one; 2018 in the case of this most recent one. Then I'll get just the Collector's Edition, 'cause I don't care about the fancy stuff in the uber-super-duper-whooper-scooper three-figure version, though I know there are those that do. I do resent the hell out of only getting the building blocks and new prestige house through the Collector's Edition, but at least it's reasonable then. ;->

Uwk
    Merriel and blackjack like this.
  5. blackjack Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestion. Waiting til the sale is probably ideal and I'd consider springing for the next tier if it's more realistically priced (cause you know, I'd rather buy Nier Automata + Far Cry 5 for all that tbh.)

Cheers!
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Katz Well-Known Member

When I did this it showed me many in red that I already had. It looks like it was showing alternative ways of getting ones that I had such as quest rewards from Journeyman service and "purchased from" merchants after finishing the tradeskill quests in Butcherblock and such. Is there any way to adjust so that it doesn't show those? And thanks for posting that method, I had no idea you could do that.

There is another place you can use to see the recipes that you do have: https://u.eq2wire.com/ If you look at your character there, you can click on the recipe tab to see which ones you have and use the filters to see different views.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

This is true! It's a brilliant site, though they had been having issues recently; hopefully, they're cleared up by now. :)

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.
  8. Merriel Well-Known Member

The best person to ask about the filters, is Lera, who manages the site. She could answer any questions you may have about EQ2Furniture. Be sure to remind her, also, that she is indeed a Frostfell Elf. She seems to be in total denial! :D
    Febrith, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  9. blackjack Well-Known Member

Actually someone in-game rec'd that I use eq2wire to see where I am with my tradeskill timelines and I'd been using it to know what else I can be doing (Lavastorm Sootfoot last night, heh.) I hadn't used it to compare my recipes yet, good suggestion. But it has crashed on me 2-3 times unfortunately, and it definitely was their site and not my connection. Hopefully they get it sorted because it is useful.

Still chugging along here. Playing EQ2 much more frequently lately as my friend has three (3! maniac! lol) new housing projects she's on and I'm her carpentry serf in between all the quest/faction and recipe hunting. Maybe one of these nights I'll go finish my saved game of Spec Ops: The Line, but Norrath's sucked up my playtime recently. ;)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Katz and Merriel like this.
  10. Lera Well-Known Member

EQ2Furniture used to show which recipes you had, but something broke with that a while back. I'm fairly convinced it has to do with my host upgrading to PHP 7, but they refuse to admit it. All I know is that it was working before, and then it wasn't.

Maybe after the HHE is over I can see about getting it working again.
  11. elflover Well-Known Member

That would be awsome Lera!
  12. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly, Lera, for all the work that you do to support this community.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  13. Seni Active Member

Regarding the quest for the blue coins, I thought you all saw it was in the patch notes nearly immediately. So Amil has been there waiting for you ;)
  14. blackjack Well-Known Member

Got to admit that I haven't paid much attention to update notes, so thanks for pointing this out Seni.

I ran out to Cobalt Scar to verify and it is indeed available. You get only one Coin per, but it seems the quest is immediately repeatable and not a daily so there's no downtime. So, got to calculate how many Coins I'll need and I'll probably hate Cobalt Chiori with the power of a thousand burning suns by the end of it, but hey I'll have all those nice Combine recipes!
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Exactly! And I think (correct me if I'm wrong, Lera) that EQ2 Furniture still has the currency calculator as part of a "shopping list" for things. I'm not sure if it includes such recipe books, but it's a possibility. :)

Uwk
    blackjack likes this.
  16. Lera Well-Known Member

The currency calculator does include purchasable recipe books.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! :D

Uwk
  18. blackjack Well-Known Member

Alright Uwe, about to take a crack at using an editor (and quite possibly your notepad method) in the very near future. Having serious trouble lining up railings by eyeballing on my current house renovation, plus I've got this crazy idea I want to try on my Dhalgar house after I've got this renovation done that'll take more than my questionable eyeball-sizing skills.

Plus I've got to figure out some graphic fidgets on a built item that's driving me crazy.
  19. elflover Well-Known Member

If you haven't tried for getting items the same size without using the editor... as your holding the item hold the shift button and use the mouse with up/down to get the sizing you want and can count the clicks of mouse wheel so you can repeat the process. for smaller increments hold alt+shift. For raising/lowering while holding the item use ctrl and for tiny up/down(mouse wheel) movement use alt+ctrl . Editor is not hard to use for sizing and up/down its rotating/pitch etc just practice in a test house with a couple of tiles/items and youll get used to it.
  20. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thanks, still having a horrible time with setting pitch and lining it up exactly where I want it. If I'm around tonight I'll finally see about giving the layout editing a whirl. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and elflover like this.