A few questions re: recipes/items from returning player

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by blackjack, Apr 5, 2018.

1. blackjack Well-Known Member

Hi all, as title says. I am a returning/casual player easing slowly back into Norrath. Just seeking some direction here. Apologies if this has been asked to death.
    • Is there an easy way to see what recipes I’m missing as a carpenter?
    • Is there an easy way to see what house items are rewards from quests/factions?
    • Taking all recs for really cool/amusing/useful things I ought to grab for decorating.
    I do not own the last two expacs and my old friends list is a graveyard, so primarily hoping most things can be obtained by an obsolete level 100. TIA!
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

Qustion #1: visit EQ2Furniture, Switch to the Options tab, enter your character's current info in the last three lines of the black boxed in section at the top of the page. Switch to the Search tab, enter your tradeskill profession name and volume ie@ "alchemy volume" and click "Search", and it will pull up all the alchemy tradeskill recipes that you can get from the crafting trainers and the advanced volumes. Scroll through the recipes and it will let you know in red if you haven't learned the recipe yet. You might have to play with the "Hide" button a few times on the Options page, if some of the recipes seem to be hidden.

[Edit: Also, if you want to see ALL recipes for your tradeskiller, just type in 'recipe' in the Search box as opposed to their profession and the word volume. If you entered their info in the Options page, it will only show you recipes they have the option of learning.]

Question #2: enter the name of any house item you are interested in getting in the Search page on EQ2Furniture and it will tell you where the house item is obtained from as well as give you a preview of what the house item looks like.

Question #3: Pretty much all house items are cool in their own way. It all depends on your decorating style, themes, idea's, etc. Many of us choose to play with items and use them in ways they were not intended to come up with new and innovative ideas. Just decide what home you want to decorate, come up with a theme, and go with it. We all look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
  3. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thanks Merriel for the detailed reply!
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! She beat me to it with a lot more info; mine would've just been, "Go to www.EQ2Furniture.com. 'Nuff said." ;->

As far as #3 goes, yeah, that's pretty subjective, really. One person's "Cool!" is another's "Meh." One suggestion: check out the videos and screenshots here and there in this forum and visit places you can get to in person, see what they've used in something that turns you on. You might not be able to "reach" everything you want to Examine, but you should be able to get a decent idea, at least. :)

Depending on how long you've been out, we have a variety of things to help out the decorators these days (a couple of 3rd-party layout editors for the layout files, for example [I like both JesDyr's and Sennen's for various reasons], as well as the good old fashioned Notepad Method). About the time they came out with the Decorator Mode in the house, though (Ctrl+e), they took away our ability to slide Wall things up and down a wall; now they go in and out, which can be a pain, can be useful. One poster, I think it was Tenchigirl, was campaigning long and hard for 3-axis slide positioning for all items, but I'm not sure if that can be implemented; I do know that Floor items seem to be a lot more forgiving than most. ;-> I still use old-school scaffolding methods on occasion, if something is being just too bloody stubborn for words for even number-crunching to solve. :-/

Also, we now have a division between regular house items (furniture, pets, portals, etc.) and Building Blocks, which have their own categories, both in a house and in the Moving Crate. If you have a really old computer and OS (anything before Win7 will break out in hives these days, I think), a house that had 500 item slots max, for example, will now actually have 1000: 500 regular items, 500 Building Blocks, and might very well take twice as long to load, if it can at all. :-/

If you've only been out for a year or two and I'm getting annoying, my apologies; I was once in training to be a Technical Writer, and they always told us, "Don't presume. It makes a pres out of you and me [thanks, David Letterman! I'm still using that old joke to this day], and if you don't know exactly where your audience is coming from, go for more information rather than less." :)

Uwk
    Merriel, blackjack and Karamella like this.
  5. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thanks Uwkete, for the equally informative reply. That EQ2furniture site is indeed immensely useful and I've got it bookmarked. Not sure I'm going to dabble with editors quite yet - think my short term goal is just to try to patch up the recipe holes in my crafting window - but I was not even aware there was more than one. Very useful.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Notepad Method is really no-frills, and probably only useful if you're not afraid of 8 decimals to the right of the point (which can be pared down). ;-> Sennen's is good for just about everything; the only things I'd like there would be the Copy/Paste Location Info commands that Jesdyr has (select a line, right-click, and a lot of possibilities emerge :D), and being able to move things beyond just N/S/E/W (JesDyr's also has the others, NE/SW/NW/SE; I'm sure there's some fancy compass names for those ;->).

If you look at the how-to videos for the layout editors, I've tried doing the With/Without/Working bit, and I thought I'd grokked it once upon a time, but after awhile, I just couldn't see the point of it. :-/ I guess it's good if you really, truly want to save your current work on a layout file and not muck up what you've just finished in the rest of it, but if I get really paranoid, what I'll often do is just save the file as a .txt sort of thing. Even if I don't ever use it officially, I have a "snapshot" of what it was like with the important stuff intact. ;->

Uwk
    blackjack and Merriel like this.
  7. blackjack Well-Known Member

Ah so the notepad method is basically just forgoing any fancy GUI and just straight tinkering with the files? I'm actually okay with that and decimals aren't a scary thing for me. That sounds like a good thing for me to look into whenever I start messing around with a new project.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep, and it's already in your operating system, at least through Win7...yet another reason why I haven't upgraded is I'm afraid of losing all those lovely freebees that still work for me (Notepad, Paint, etc.). :)

Hopefully the link to Mistral's Method isn't too completely obtuse. If you can think of places to improve it, please let me know. ;)

Uwk
    blackjack likes this.
  9. Merriel Well-Known Member

Windows 10, thankfully did not remove our ability to work with Notepad and you can still access the files through it. I gave up using Paint years ago when I discovered Paint.net, which is similar but offers more features than Paint does. I still wouldn't recommend Windows 10, however...I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole even if my life depended upon it, if I hadn't already switched before I discovered what a horrible operating system it is. Two more months of school, then I graduate, and I can rip Windows out of my system, if I so choose. Hoping Linux has a decent OS I can use and still play, so I can be rid of Microsoft forever.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! Please, if you can do that, let the rest of us know about it! :D

Uwk
    who still likes Win7, but will probably be forced to leave it at some point... :-/
  11. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thanks. Next house project I do I'll come back + check out the notepad method. I'm on Win10 but I've altered other games' ini files via notepad without problems so I'll likely have no issue here :)

Currently just slowly collecting faction recipes and being a friend's on-call carpenter though. No real inspiration for a new place of my own yet.
  12. blackjack Well-Known Member

Ran into an issue while filling out my recipes. To complete the Combine faction recipe collection I need more Mysterious Blue Coins. I saw on the wikia that the only way to get more is doing a daily tradeskill apprentice quest, which I did, but as a level 100 crafter I did not get any coins. Is there any way to obtain more once I've done the Cobalt Scar tradeskill quest line?
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

I had run into the same situation with Daemora, my carpenter, so I created another carpenter and leveled her to 95, then strictly used her to do the apprentice quests until I had the remaining blue coins I needed. In fact, I just finished leveling her from 96 to 100 today, hehe. It was the only workaround I was able to find. I had heard there was a daily adventure quest in the zone that allows you to obtain more blue coins, but if there is, I wasn't able to find it. I already had one character of each tradeskill class but they were already all level 100, so decided if I'm going to have a duplicate tradeskill class, may as well be another carpenter. :D
  14. blackjack Well-Known Member

Ouch. Yeah, not personally interested in leveling another carpenter. I guess I can poke around and see if I can find this adventure daily, but if the only answer is to level another crafter then I guess I'll be doing without those recipes.

Thanks for the info, Merriel.
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

No problem, but if you happen to be leveling some other tradeskill profession, they may work just as well. If you do happen to find another way to make more blue coins, please be sure to share that info. I'd be interested in knowing myself, as this question is likely to come up again. I don't know why they don't just let us earn blue coins from 95 on through max level crafting from apprentice quests, to begin with. It would certainly make things a lot easier for those trying to get the recipes. :)
  16. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Check out this thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/list-of-tradeskill-dailies.583499/ for Kaitheel's response.
  17. blackjack Well-Known Member

Thank you Rosyposy! Posting dev response here for any lurkers:

Looks like I'll just be sitting on this until a fix is made as I've done the entire quest line, but now I at least know what's going on.
  18. Merriel Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this information, Rosyposy and blackjack.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, the Blue Coins are at least Heirloom? :)

Uwk
    who's mostly leveled crafters via Rush Writs, a wrist support for the subsequent tunnel carpal, and finally doing level 95+ tradeskill quests out and about once that Hurdle has been achieved (still don't know why it goes from like 50,000 XP per level to 500,000 or whatever at 95; it's ridiculous) :(
  20. blackjack Well-Known Member

I can confirm they are Heirloom.