A few questions about summoners

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Donaven, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Donaven New Member

I'm new to the game (been playing a couple of weeks). What is the difference between the two summoner classes? Based on what I'm seeing in game, it feels like I see about 5 necromancers for every conjuror I see. Is that just coincidence or is there a commonly known reason for that?

My second question is: What sort of mercs do you prefer with your summoner? Do you use a tank merc with your dps pets? Or do you use a healer merc with your tank pets?

When considering playing a mage, I like the idea of playing a summoner. However, I could also see myself playing a sorcerer. I know that sorcerers are doing more damage in general in raids in the metagame from reading these forums. However, I have no intention of ever raiding. I do enjoy doing smaller dungeons, I prefer soloing dungeons and challenging content. Based on this knowledge of myself, is there a reason I should choose to play a sorcerer over a conjuror?

Thanks.
  2. Shazzer New Member

My main is a Conj, and has been since a few months after launch. Game mechanics have changed so much since my Conj was a baby, so ymmv. Back in the days before mercs I soloed with my mage pet unless a mob was a good few levels above me and then I'd use my tank pet. Since 80+ though I've always used my mage pet. The mage kills much faster than the tank (and the scout pet is useless). At 95 in ToV, if I solo and need a merc, I use the Inquisitor (Stamper) from Freeport.

Granted I have little to no basis for comparison, but I love my Conj. I have raided and soloed with her over the years, and I've loved trying things that should get me killed but don't. I adore having pet who can hold agro while I blast away.

I believe all this could be said about a necro as well, and historically they seem to have the ability to output a bit more DPS, and they have more heals and can rez. So then it just comes down to personal choice (which may include good vs. evil for some). But for me, my Conj is just a ton of fun to play!
  3. Mae- Well-Known Member

Necromancers are a widely known mage type from across the entire D&D universe and most high-fantasy MMO's. That is probably why it is the more popular one.

That being said, Shazzer pretty much answered the rest of the questions. Summoners are beastly soloers, a bit more survivability than their sorcerer counterparts, tho Sorcs are certainly no slouch. Use a healer merc if you're gonna use a merc, but most of the time it won't be needed. Tank pets and scout pets are currently broken and so they don't operate nearly at the capacity they should, thus most don't use them. The tank pet doesn't cast it's taunt, so it barely holds agro unless you are purposely not doing damage to the mob. Stick to the mage pet, make it Expert/Master asap, and you'll be fine.[/quote]
  4. Gosh Member

For casual not raiding i would recommend a summoner over a sorcerer. Well, at least i am usually getting frustrated by the long spell cast times of my wizard.

Necros (just) need a healer to help them with Life burn.
    To max their dps conjurors need an illu who knows that Time Warp is her most important spell and knows when to cast it. With an illu casting TW every 60s the 3 click swarm pet burst dps feels very satisfying.

When its getting so rough that you need to heal and rez, you want to be a necro.
    That said, maybe it doesnt become that rough with the conjuror's self-, group stoneskins and group stoneskin procs, the better group (and even raid wide) buff and stun/stifle on AEs.
  5. Gosh Member

Well and as merc you will want the cure.
    I usually run with inq or templar or without any.