A few newbie questions (server/class/crafting)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Chibber, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Chibber New Member

Hi all - I'm returning to EQ2 today after quite a while away and would appreciate some advice on a few things please.

I'm going to be playing casually and probably mostly solo. I'm not averse to grouping but I really don't enjoy the manic kill-fest that most endgame groups seem to be.

I'm based in the UK and am thinking about playing on the IoR server to give me access to gear which I won't necessarily have access to as a solo player. There's an argument to say that I won't need that gear for soloing - but EVERYONE likes better gear. Is the server still reasonably active?

I'll make a few different characters but was thinking of going with Beastlord as my main and to then use him to get gear for my alts. Is BST strong as a solo character? What about in dungeons? Would I be better going with Necro for FD? I'm doing that old school thing of levelling in the regular outdoor zones.

Lastly, I enjoy gathering so will hopefully make some plat doing that, but I'm not that sold on crafting. I'm thinking of making a provisioner though because that will be useful for all of my characters. Is it possible to make any decent amounts of plat as a provisioner whilst I level up, or would I be better choosing a different craft to make plat as I go? The reason I'm focused on plat is to buy the gear on IoR which wouldn't ordinarily be available to me.

Thanks all.
    Chibber
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

As for the population on IoR, I cannot help you there, but I have heard that there is a solid base of players that have been there since the opening of the server and are friendly and helpful.

I have 3 beastlords ranging from level 33 to level 100. With a mercenary and pet, I have no trouble soloing most any content I wish to. You can make or purchase items to feign death so if that would be your only reason to make a necro, then I personally would not make a necro.

As for gathering, gather anything and everything that you can. Harvest every node, every shiny, every page, anything you can pick up, do so. You can make money as a provisioner, if you make and sell food at reasonable prices. You are not going to be rolling in plat but you can make enough to get the other things you feel you need. Sell the shinies, people will pay a lot of plat for shinies they need. If you have completed your collections and have enough extras for your other alts, sell the rest.

The first thing I would earn the money for is depots. You can buy a harvest depot, a collectibles depot, and a lore and legend depot, these 3 will let you hold the things you gather and you will know what stock you have and be able to decide what you feel you can sell. Also you can buy a food and drink depot and use that to hold items you make as a provisioner so you have things to stock your broker. I would also invest in a fuel depot if you will be crafting out of your house, that way you do not need to have the harvests or fuel in your backpack to craft. I would sell those 5 depots for about 1000 plat, I never raise the price of my depots, I set them a couple of years ago and that is what I stay with.

If you have loyalty tokens you can buy the small bags of plat for 5 tokens and each bag has 500 plat, 10-15 tokens and you can pay for the depots. If you do not have any prestige homes in /claim, you can get the Kromzek Keep for 60 loyalty tokens and/or the Mistmore Crags Estate for 30 loyalty tokens, these are both rent free housing which is the best to set up your broker. Place sales displays near the zone in location so that your customers can easily find them. Visit the loyalty merchants, in Qeynos, they are in the harbor not far from where you zone in from the bell. Sorry, I cannot remember where they are in Freeport, but I believe they are in the large building just down the road from where you zone in from the bell, also in a dock area. You can purchase some items that are on the loyalty merchant from the marketplace window, but not all items are there, its best to actually go to the merchants.

Hopefully some of this helps you on your journey. The most important thing is to have fun. Welcome back to Norrath, enjoy your journey. If you ever land on AB, look me up, I will help you with what I can and have a network of friends that will help you with what I cannot. Play your way and have fun.
  3. Chibber New Member

What a wonderful response - thank you. I hadn't even heard of depots so I'll work on getting those first. I love having a target to chip away at.
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  4. Meneltel Well-Known Member

She lies! She has no friends! Just people who hate her less than they do all others!

I used to have friends... then I ran out of platinum. :(

Remember, a friend will help you move... a real friend will help you move a body!
    Blazen, Rhodris and Breanna like this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Yes, a true friend will grab the shovels when you run to them after you have done something bad and will do something bad as well so they can go to jail with you.
    Rhodris likes this.