A fae flies into a bar..

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by ARCHIVED-Jaremai, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

"Believe me I understand," Tetriemmy answered.
    "But Tari has to be stopped!" Brienae shouted.
    Tetri sighed "Are you going to search all of Freeport?"
    Brienae's purple eyes narrowed.
    "We need a more definite location than Freeport. The less time we spend searching on foot the better off we'll be," she nodded to Charlemain lead the way,"
    "You were joking about the sewers right?"
    Tetri laughed "No Cub I wasn't," she sighed as the young fae fainted. She picked up the scrolls and placed them in an extra bag. She then whistled which brought a large cat with a saddle to her side. Tetri then picked up the unconcious fae and placed her gently on Cliff's back. "Ok now lead on... she'll be fine."
    ~~~~
    Tari smiled. "Maybe I can help ya." she pulled back her hood and let her shoulder length pinkinsh purple hair fall. Her bangs fell over one of her eyes. "First how much ya willin ta pay to get the books back?"
  2. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Charlemin raised one eyebrow, opened his mouth to speak and thought better of it. He closed his mouth and nodded. "This way."
    He led them through the streets to Bayle Court, stepping up to a stoop that had an easle next to the door. The sign that sat on the easle was painted brightly with a picture of a pie. Around the pie pink letters declared: 'Bella's Bakery and Restaurant: Home to the bestest Cheesecakes in Qeynos!'. Also on the easle sat a smaller sign that read 'Closed' in large read letters.
    The Paladin checked the door, pleased to find that for once his sister had remembered to lock it when she had stepped out. He produced a key from his pocket, while Pepin offered to carry the Fae in.
    Inside to the left in the alcove created by the stairs there were long counters, some of which had glass tops, showing off the best baked goods of the store. One the walls behind the counters were lined many shelves, also holding all manner of baked goods. The smells of that morning's work wafted in through the stone arch behind the counters. The rest of the room had small halfling made tables and green padded dinging chairs or benches. Charlemin took the stairs up, ignoring the open doorway to the left that led to the more formal seating and balcony and instead opened the door at the top of the stairs.
    "This is the sitting room. We can wait in here." This room held a large fireplace surrounded by pink and white candles. Pink couches sat along the corner around a glass and metal coffeetable set with lilies in a heart shaped vase. Charlemin indicated the couches. "There is also a comfortable place for the lady to...er...rest."
    ~*~
    Hoddmimir looked up, a red spot that would most likely develop into a bruise later on his forhead. He examined the other Arasai warily through slitted eyes. "I lived in Neriak for a number of years in my youth, however some things do not change. I know that here, like in Neriak, one must always question someone so willing to help, even for coin." He picked up his drink and drained it. Tapping the counter for a refill.
  3. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Tetriemmy nodded at Pepin's request. As Pepin picked up Brienae. Tetriemmy whispered something unintellible to Cliff who growled and then trotted off. She then followed the men into the sitting room. Her nose did wriggle at the smells which were pleasantly hard to ignore. She laughed at Charlemin's rest statement "Yes, she should wake up soon. " she sighed "She is a sweet cub, but she has not had much experience in the real world."
    Brienae opened her eyes and looked around.
    "Figured," Tetrimmy laughed. "Feel better Cub?"
    Brienae nodded and then blushed "Sorry about that," she muttered.
    Tetriemmy shook her head "You have a lot to learn Cub" she turned to Charlemin "Just curious how long has your family been in Qeynos?"
    ~~~
    Tari smiled "Of course, first allow me ta introduce myself: Name's Tari Clearshadow leader of the Clearshadow Gang" she looked straight at him "I know how it is and I would expect no less. Ask me anythin and I'll answer it best I can."
  4. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Mandragore stood up. Slowly.
    "This... was an... interesting... experience."
    He shook his head as to clear his thoughts and took a deep breath.
    Looking around, he noticed that some of his warding runes where glowing ~inwards~.
    He stepped over the Circle which seemed again like a normal Painting in the
    ground, with some expensive looking gold and silver inlayed runes.
    "Going back to Freeport, eh ?"
    It seemed that his complete attitude changed. No longer the cool, professional
    and somewhat annoying speaking Wizard but different.
    "If i have something learned about Freeport - and i was there sometimes - is:
    always have a good escape route. Even when the guards are just a swords length
    away or you see some Witches casting at you, there must be a way to get away.
    Always have a backup plan."
    He waved his hand and a piece of paper formed to a scroll and bound itself with
    the pink Ribbon.
    "Open the Scroll and read it - thats a small formula for finding a trace inside
    a city. It won't work outside or from the thieves way below. As the Ritual did
    not point me in one of the freeport ghettos, i think you have to use it while
    you are directly in one of the main parts, regardless which one. The Range is
    limited but it can work in the whole Maincity."
    The Scroll moved through the Air to Bellacouste.
    "This is a one-time-shot. After you used it, it will crumble to dust and gone
    with the wind. As it will when someone else, who was not here in this circle,"
    he nodds at Aloysiius,"that includes you, touches it."
    He looks down, as he was thinking something over.
    "There might be a thing or two, which were interesting, as i was in Freeport once.
    I was in the Academy, with a Seal of a maiden i spoke to in the Commonlands,
    to do research. I showed it to the guards and they let me in, no questions asked.
    I tried not to awake any suspicion, so i did only what i was asked.
    Research about someone named Zarvonn... ever heard of him ?"
    Without waiting for an answer, he continued.
    "Anyway, some of his arcane work was... interesting. Not the Necromantic Part of
    course, but his studies about Arcane Magic in several pocket Dimensions and other
    Planes of Existence."
    He opened the Door and walked through it. Again, he changed. His looks cleared,
    his eyes once again this looking-down Gaze, speaking like a tutoring Professor again.
    "Care for a Refresher upstairs ? My servant prepared a meal and drinks."
  5. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

"I'll go make some tea, I know the story." Pepin said, winking and leaving the room.
    Charlemin sat down on the bench under the window. "Well, my sister Bellacouste was the first to come to Qeynos. You see, Bella was rather sickly when we were little and the runt of the litter, so she didn't leave the house often. I brought her books from time to time, but she loved the ones with flowers in them the most, so one day I brought her some seeds. She grew them in little pots in the window, but was always upset that they never grew to look like the pictures. When we were older her health got better and she began to train under our Grandmother in Coercing, I went to the Freeport Militia and trained as a Shadowknight, Ratatoska trained under a colleague of our father's in Necromancy and our last sister, Bellalynn, took over father's...acquisitions business. Bellacouste wasn't happy in Freeport though, she wanted to see the places in the books, now that her health was better, she could. She traveled a bit, collecting seeds and recipes and lived in Neriak for a while, but most of her favorite plants died while there. Underground cities aren't good for plants, well, maybe mushrooms, but Bella keeps telling be they’re fungi and not plants, or something. She moved back to Temple Street but still wasn't that happy."
    Charlemin shifted in his seat uncomfortably and cleared his throat. "About a year ago I was on post in the Commonlands, but I always wrote her. My handwriting has never been very good and one particular letter I sent was near illegible. In fact, it was so bad that the magic of the postboxes sent the letter to someone else. Instead of my sister, the letter was sent to someone in Qeynos. That lady put the letter in a new envelope and sent it to my sister, with a note explaining. Bella wrote the woman back and they continued to write as pen pals. When I found out, I got upset with her, I worked for the Militia and if any of my superiors found out our entire family would be targeted. We fought and I left angry with her. I figured if I gave her some time she’d come around, but eventually we noticed that she wasn’t anywhere. I figured she was just mad and avoiding me. Then out of the blue I get a letter from Qeynos. She said that she loves it there-er, well, here, I guess I should say. She kept writing about the plants in Antonica and how well hers were doing in her new garden and how she met her pen pal and she was teaching her Illusions in exchange for cooking lessons and she wanted to open a bakery. I was shocked. I never expected her to go to Qeynos after our fight. Well, she didn’t seem mad at me, but I didn’t’ write back, I had heard that some of the higher ranks in the Militia would check our mail in secret sometimes. Even though I didn’t write back, she still sent me letters and soon word got out that she had betrayed. My superior began to suspect me of being a plant in the Militia and my house was searched and the letters found. So I fled Freeport and the rest of our family went into hiding. I decided that since the Militia thought me a traitor I might as well be one. The Militia was keeping an eye on the Commonlands docks, so I headed towards Nektulos. I got lost though and then fell ill. I was saved by a Froglok and when I was well enough we continued to the forest. On our journey to Qeynos he told me all about Mithianel Marr and eventually, what began as a spiteful plan to snub the Militia became an earnest quest. I arrived in Qeynos about a month after Bellacouste and I gave some documents from the Militia to the Qeynos Guard and eventually became a Paladin and follower of Mithanial Marr.”
    Pepin returned with a tray of tea. He set out the fragile pastel pink teacups with all the delicacy of his Barbarian ancestors.
    Charlemin accepted a cup and continued. “About two months ago, our sister, Ratatoska, arrived. I haven’t really heard why she came here, but she has told us that the rest of our family were fine and in hiding still. Well, our parents retired and with their business they would have gone into hiding anyway, a lot of…unhappy customers.” He cleared his throat again. “I didn’t mean to launch into such a long story, apologies.”
    ~*~
    The Necromancer nodded. “I am Hoddmimir Sholt.” He swished the amber liquid in his glass and watched the little whirlpool for a moment. “Have you much experience in Qeynos with this sort of thing?” He asked quietly.
    ~*~
    Bellacouste took the scroll and shifted uncomfortably, unsettled by the Erudite’s mood changes. Ratatoska happily stepped out of the circle and followed the Erudite at the mention of food. Aloysiius kept his face neutral while Mandragore spoke. He stood up and approached Bella, patting her on the shoulder.
    “Best put that somewhere safe in your bag.” He whispered, pointing to the scroll in her hand.
    Bella nodded and stowed it away in a inner pocket that was protected by some simple spells against water or fire and joined her sister. Aloysiius slowly followed.
  6. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Brienae pulled out a blank scroll and quill and sat poised ready to write. As Charlemin spoke she wrote down everything word for word he said.
    Tetriemmy listened. Her eye widened with rage at the mention of necromancy, but she laughed quietly as Charlemin tried to explain the growing of plants to her. As he finished she looked over at the young fae so engrossed in writing she hadn't noticed the tea. Tetriemmy accepted a cup.
    Brienae finished writing the last word. "Wow that is very interesting. I'm glad you told us,"
    Tetriemmy shook her head. "It is alright Cub," she said it this time while looking at Charelmin "I would actually like to talk to your sister Bellacouste, I'm sure her garden is doing fine but I might be able to help her make it better," she chuckled "I am am after all Nature's Wrath incarnate. Anyone with respect for Nature is her ally." She decided to keep her thoughts regarding Ratatosca to herself. For now she decided she would assume she was genuine in her betrayal to the more natural conjuration.
    ~~~~
    "Of course," Tari answered "Just got back from there on other bussiness of the same nature. As I said I'm leader of the Clearshadow gang. Didn't get that by stayin in the area." Truth was this had been the first time she had been to Qeynos but she tried to keep the same smile. Her mind also thought it was good he didn't live in Neriak or he would have known that she had only been leader for a month because her father had died in a fire. Then again did anyone in Freeport keep track of things that happened in Neriak?
  7. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

As they arrived in the Living Room, where a small hot meal awaited (obviously the servant could cook Ratonga Meals, he
    would never get the hang of it), Mandragore felt that they were eager to leave. So he decided to keep the chatting to a
    minimum, eating and drinking enough to feel better again - this Ritual had taken its toll.
    "This was really exciting. Scrying is not my speciality, but i try to keep my Mind open for everything to learn; ah, mostly
    everything. There are some Topics even i won't touch."
    He finished his meal and took a sip from his glass.
    "Sometimes we learn from reading books, studying tomes, listening to fellow magicians... and sometimes we learn from
    doing and from experience. We have to decide for ourself whats the best for us and the best for our Art, which is Magic."
    As he saw that they barely touched their meals, he stood up.
    "Anyway, i hope that you will find what you are looking for. I thank you for the chance to do that and if you need any
    help again, do not hesitate to contact me."
    ~ One hour later ~
    Mandragore was sitting in his Library, making notes while reading another Book. Jarvis arrived with a small platter of
    fruits and a Decanter with a sweet, light Wine.
    "I take it that whatever you did was succesful ?"
    "Of course. I learned a lot and helped them to get to know where it is, what they were searching for."
    "So, this was not just about helping those ?"
    "Jarvis... let me say: We're not in Freeport. What i did involved a great risk, but i am always glad to help a fellow
    Qeynosian Mage. And if it is only to proof that we here in Qeynos are really what everybody says; we help others
    and in helping others we also get to better ourselves. This is not the selfish act which you would expect someone
    from Freeport to do, doing a small deed for someone and then blackmail them for a big reward; we help and we
    support our fellow Citizens."
    He wrote a single rune on the scroll in front of him.
    "What i got was just to experience what was left from the Energy of the Schools of Necromancy and Coercing they had
    in them. I think no other Mage would have done such a scrying just to experience the Energy of another School of
    Magic. And this was just the side-effect, which had to be there to follow the Scroll. It is another Step in the Direction
    of understanding - not necesarily being able to use - other Magical Energy than just those of Fire and Ice. Most Mages i
    met and meet in the Tower aren't even interested in other Magic than their own. They hone their Skills with theirs, but
    stay unable to see what is all around them. Maybe i will be not as good as those just specializing in one thing, but trying
    to learn more than that is a fair trade-off, at least for me."
    Jarvis nodded and left. Mandragore was unsure if he truly understood have of what he said, but he was sure that this
    Coldain servant was more then meets the eye.
  8. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

The three of them bid goodbye to Mandragore, thanking him many times for his services and Aloysiius left some payment for the reagents with the butler as they left.
    Once outside Bella stretched, glad to see the sun was out. "We's has a long way to go to gets homes." She giggled, pointing a couple doors down to her own stoop.
    "Well, I have a longer trip, but some good ale at the end of it." Aloysiius said.
    "Oh, no-nos. I's has a new recipe froms the Oldales and I's wants your opinions on its." Bellacouste grabbed Al by the elbow and dragged him to her door, Ratatoska following. "Ands we's needs to discuss Freeport." She whispered.
    Bellacouste made sure her sign was still flipped to 'Closed' and reached for her key. She turned it in the door and tried to open it, but the door didn't. She tried the knob again. Frowning, she turned the key again, then the door opened.
    "Forget to lock it?" Ratatoska asked.
    "Nos, I's locked it."
    "Well, it was unlocked." Aloysiius said, slipping his hand to his dagger. "Let me go in first."
    "I's has magic to make us invisables." Bella whispered.
    "You know how I feel about invisability spells."
    Ratatoska sighed and pointed in through the door. "Look, is Charlie's cloak theres."
    Bellacouste peeked in. "Oh." The three of them filed in and closed the door. "I's think somes Oldale Ale will helps calm us."
    Upstairs Charlemin nodded. "I'm sure Bella would be happy for any advice." He took a sip of the tea and added a lemon wedge. "May I ask what brought you to Qeynos, Ms. Tetri?"
    ~*~
    "Hrm. I haven't heard of the Clearshadow gang before. Of course, I suppose considering your business that means you either haven't been caught and are very good at it, or you're boistering your reputation while having done nothing." Hoddmimir mused more to himself as he considered his drink. "How much did you get paid for your latest trip to Qeynos?"
  9. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Tetriemmy sighed "Not much to tell... it was a long time ago." she looked over at Brienae, the young fae had already pulled out another scroll. "Don't get your hopes up too much Cub, I don't remember to much." she sipped more of the tea before starting "Like your sister Bellacouste I was the runt usually sick, but the difference was my family wasn't as..." she paused "we'll say kind as you were to your sister. I actually left Freeport while still very young. My family was out in the commonlands during a time when I was feeling better..." she paused again "Forgive me it was a long time ago so some details are vague. I remember the family being warned by a wood elf that Nature's Wrath would punish them for their mistreatment of her. A storm started and the last thing I remember is a large rock coming towards me. I woke up in the Commonlands with the Wood Elf tending my wounds. She agreed to teach me the ways of Nature if I went with her. So I followed her and she raised me as her own daughter back here in Qeynos. Her name was Balira Windfoot." Tetriemmy twitched her right ear "By the way I think your sisters are home,"
    Brienae looked at the older ratonga "How can you tell that?"
    Tetriemmy laughed "Nature has a way of compensating. I'm half blind literally," she said indicating the eye patch "Because of this Nature has improved my hearing,"
    ~~~
    Tari grinned while weighing her options in her mind. If she lied out right this arasai was old enough to see through it probably. On the other hand if she told the truth she might lose the job. She sighed and let the grin drop "Might as well be honest," she said out loud "I've been to Qeynos once. This current job is giving me a hundred plat." she waited for the response, hoping he would trust her. If not there would be other opportunities.
  10. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Charlemin placed the teacup down and stood up, walking the length of the room to the door. Before he reached it, it opened and one of his older sisters peeked in.
    "Theres yous is, Charlie!" Ratatoska exclaimed, throwing her arms around him in a hug.
    "Hello, Toska." Charlemin watched Aloysiius step in. "Isn't Bella with you?"
    "She wanted to get some refreshments from the cellar." Aloysiius said.
    "Oh, yous has brought guests too?" Bella asked, stepping in with a tray of cheesecake and foaming mugs. "Hellos, welcomes!" She waved to the Fae and Ratonga, tipping the tray dangerously for a moment before placing her paw back under it. "Woulds yous likes some cheesecakes?" She turned to the others, gathered around the door. "Sits, sits." She shooed them all over to the couches and set the tray down next to the tea.
    "Ms. Tetri, Lady De'Esalcoda, these are my sisters, Bellacouste and Ratatoska and our friend, Aloysiius the Sandpiper." He turned to the others. "This is the Lady Brienae De'Esalcoda and Ms. Tetriemmy Windfoot. I've agreed to help them with something in, well, Freeport and we were wondering if you'd like to join us." Charlemin paused and then continued, speaking a quickly. "I mean, I'd be just fines if yous didn't wants to goes back, since is dangerous and-" He realized he had slipped back into his Ratongan accent for a moment and cleared his throat. "No one would be offended if you did not wish to risk the danger." He finished.
    ~*~
    Hoddmimir silently nursed his drink for a moment, thinking. "Your first time in Qeynos, eh?" He muttered. He finished his drink and then turned towards the other Arasai. "I'll pay you 25 platinum upfront and 75 after you get the books safely back in my hands, unharmed." He paused. "I'll pay you extra if news reaches me that my poor student has had...an unfortunate accident." He hissed.
  11. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Brienae stood up and curtsied to the group just entering "I should have said this earlier you can call me Brienae." she also took a small fae size piece of cheesecake and thanked Bellacouste for her hospitality.
    Tetriemmy scanned the room with her eye "We can't take everyone. I count seven people in this room. Such a group would attract too much attention. I would say four of us at most." She turned to Brienae "Cub I think you should stay here."
    "What?" Brienae almost screamed "Not after what that wretched arasai did. Trying to destroy my reputuation. I'm going so I can give her a piece of my mind,"
    Tetriemmy shook her head "My point remains we don't need seven people to track down one cub and a piece of paper. If we could track down the scroll and get it from her before she turns it in no harm done."
    "And if she does turn in the scroll?"
    Tetriemmy sighed "Then either we track it down or forget about it,"
    Brienae looked at the other people gathered before focusing back on Tetriemmy "You said you'd help,"
    "I did..." Tetriemmy answered "because you are a reckless cub who needs to learn that out in the real world noble birth doesn't matter. Nature doesn't see a difference and until you learn that you are a danger to yourself. If we let you go alone you might be killed and make no mistake cub no one would believe you for an arasai,"
    "Good why would I want to pass for one of those unnatural freaks?" as soon as Brienae said it she knew before Tetriemmy stood up that she had misspoken
    Tetriemmy stood up with her eye glaring at the young fae "Do you dares tos tells mes what is unnaturals?" she thundered.
    Brienae swallowed before shaking her head.
    Tetriemmy took a deep breath before cursing her childhood accent in Feir'Dal. She then continued in common "I would think a bard would be able to coach her tongue better."
    Brienae blushed.
    "Now as I was saying. I'm afraid if we take a large group we will be caught." She looked around the room. "Five or six maybe we can get away with but it will be more difficult," she scanned the room again looking from one person to the other.
    ~~~
    "Sounds good," Tari answered "If you got somethin she used I can track er that way, if not with a description an` name I'm sure I could find her." she smiled. "Either way I have a friend who would love to play with er. Don' worry about extra for 'im. Unfortunately...." she paused and winked "He plays rather rough." Tari thought of her beloved pet Copper who she had raised from an egg. In her mind she was already picturing the new of the owlbear mauling in Qeynos. Mind Copper was still a baby but he could be viscous when Tari told him to be.
  12. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Everyone settled into a seat.
    "Wait, you guys are going to Freeport too? What for?" Aloysiius asked.
    "'Too'?" Charlemin asked. "We were about to ask you to accompany us to Freeport for a quest."
    "That's funny, that's what we wanted to ask you."
    Charlemin shook his head. "Well, why are you wanting to go there?"
    "Grandma's scroll has beens stolen. My neighbor, Madragore dids a spell to finds where it went, ands is in Freeports."
    Charlemin looked over to Brienae and Tetri. "We're going to Freeport because Lady- I mean, Brienae's cousin stole a scroll with...a...pink-" Charlemin sighed and massaged his temple. "Ribbon. It's one of Grandma's scrolls?"
    Aloysiius stifled a laugh. "So, we all have the same goals anyway. That simplifies things a bit."
    Charlemin cleared his throat. "I think, perhaps that Pepin and Ratatoska should stay behind."
    Ratatoska glowered at her brother.
    Pepin looked up from his cheesecake. "But Sir, I-"
    Charlie held a paw up. "If you were further in your training, I'd be happy to let you come along, but you're still a Squire and have many seasons to go before becoming a full Paladin. You've been doing very well in your training, take some time off."
    "I can help, Sir." Pepin protested.
    "In Antonica, yes. In the Enchanted Lands, yes. But this is Freeport we're talking about. I can pass for a Shadowknight again easily, but the citizens of Freeport would spot you for a Paladin, even one in training, as soon as they set eyes on you."
    Pepin opened his mouth to protest again, but instead scooped a spoonfull of cheesecake into his mouth and leaned back.
    "Ands mes?" Ratatoska asked. "Whys shoulds I's stays?"
    "Bella's illusions will come in handy for disguises, if we should need them, but also because Freeport has recently allowed the Illusionary Arts to be taught, a Ratongan Illusionist is no longer an oddity there, but a Ratongan Conjurer still is."
    "I's cans pass for a Necromancer agains!"
    "I's rather nots have yous picking up those spells agains." Charlemin whispered.
    Ratatoska pouted. "Fines, but I's don'ts wants to be lefts alones heres."
    "Pepin offered to help, perhaps he could stay with you until we get back." Aloysiius put in.
    Pepin looked back up. "I could do that."
    Ratatoska nodded. "Fines. But yous remembers yours promise. I's gets a copy of the scrolls too whens yous gets it backs. Grandmas should have given its to's mes anyways."
    "But she didn'ts, she gaves its to mes." Bella said, trying to keep her voice level.
    "Ah, but once I get the scroll, you'll each have a copy, so no fighting now." Aloysiius laughed nerviously.
    ~*~
    "I don't have anything of hers, but there aren't that many Ratongas in Qeynos. She'll be the one with caramel colored fur, dark glasses and a blue robe with yellow down the middle, if she hasn't changed. Her birth name is Jumjum Cragmure, but she changed it to Ratatoska. You might find her with her brother and sister, Charlemin and Bellacouste. Bellacouste runs a large bakery, if you hang around there for a while, I'm sure Ratatoska would show up eventually."
  13. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

"Well now that we have that settled we can get going." Tetri said as she began to wave her hands. A ring of grass sprouted at her feet and autumn leaves began to dance around her. The leaves arranged themselves into a cirlce in front of her and then within the ring a portal formed "Commonlands," Tetriemmy whispered and the portal shifted to show the druid ring in commonlands. The grass at her feet vanished leaving no signs that it had been there all that remained was the portal. "This will take us to The Commonlands from there we will head to the Thieves Way."
    Brienae watched the swirling leaves and started to head for the portal before being grabbed by Tetri
    "You're not going first Cub." She looked around at those who were going "Other than the Fae cub I don't care who goes first but I must go last. Nature will close her portal behind me."
    ~~~~
    "Sounds simple enogh," Tari answered "So just give me the money and I'll get right on that soon as I finish up some things here and pick up Copper from Neriak," she grinned.
  14. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Charlemin stood and hugged Ratatoska. "Take good care of my sister, Pepin."
    The Squire saluted the Paladin as Charlemin stepped through the portal.
    It was Bella's turn to quickly hug her sister. "You's cans stays heres if yous wants to's, just keep the closeds sign ups if yous don'ts wants customers. We's will hurries homes." Bella hopped into the circle and disappeared.
    Aloysiius simply waved to the Conjurer and Squire before stepping through himself.
    Ratatoska examined the portal, briefly toyed with the idea of leaping through before Tetri, but decided against it and sat back down on the couch.
    On the other side of the portal Charlemin, Bella and Al found themselves in the bright sunlight of the Commonlands. The flat savannah lay out before them on all sides beyond the ancient Druid Rings etched with old runes. Charlemin had his sword drawn, just in case and Aloysiius made sure his dagger and harp both were on hand while Bellacouste weaved her paws through the air, summoning her own image from the empty space before her. Her spell finished, the Personae Reflection waited patiently for orders.
    ~*~
    Hoddmimir drew out a bag from the folds of his robes and counted out twenty-five yellow disks, each etched with the face of Lucan D'Lere and placed them down on the counter in front of the other Arasai. Then he picked up his glass and tipped it in Tari's direction. "I wish you luck and hope to hear news of my...dear student soon."
  15. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Tetri released Brienae who glided into the cirlce. She then followed right behind her. As soon as she was through the portal closed.
    Brienae landed gracefully and pulled out her twin sai. She sang a series of quick short songs all of which hung in the air and seemed to swirl around everyone in the group.
    Tetri looked at the group and sighed "Just follow me. Stay close." she looked towards Charlemin "I need you on my left if you end up beside me. No offense but my experience has been that armor such as your's is rather loud. My hearing is better than most but it would be so much easier for me if I didn't have to listen above the clanking." As she spoke more leaves erupted around her for a split second spines erupted from Charlemin's armor. " Don't worry about that. Nature's protection is all that is," she said quickly before anyone could scream in alarm. As soon as she finished she took off towards the graveyard entrance. She listened for the steps behind her but she did glance back to occasionally to make sure everyone was with her especially the silently gliding Brienae. She stopped at the graveyard entrance to wait for everyone to catch up.
    ~~~
    Tari glared at the yellow disks "You said twenty five plat up front and then count out gold. That's a big difference." she pulled out a white disk with Queen Crystanos image on it "This is plat," she said with an angry edge in her voice. "Whether it's the the Overlord or the Queen, don't matter but you did say plat."
  16. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Charlemin examined his armor. "Is it really that bad?" He muttered.
    Bella, in cloth robes and Aloysiius, in supple leather, looked at one another. "Yes." They said in unison.
    Aloysiius stepped forward and played a short song on his harp. "Just a little spell I picked up in my travels." He said as the etheral, pale blue music notes faded on Charlie's armor. "It won't mask the sound completely, but it will deaden it for a couple of hours."
    The three of them fell in behind Tetri, each keeping a weather eye out for trouble. Cheddar, Bella's Personae Reflection, was the last to catch up to them at the gate.
    ~*~
    Pepin watched the portal close sulkenly while Ratatoska ignored it. As soon as the last of the leaves faded away she hopped up. "Wells, we's might as well get somes works done for Bella!"
    Pepin rolled his eyes. "I don't know if we should do that, Miss. Cragmure. I can barely boil water!"
    "Yous cans wash pots an' pans, yis?" Ratatoska skipped out the door and down the stairs, Pepin following.
    In the kitchen Ratatoska fired up the ovens and looked through Bella's ledger. "She's sells lots of Jumjum muffins. I's cans makes her somes for sales." She started pulling bowls and spoons out of the cupboards in the kitchen. "Yous goes down to the cellars and gets flour, cinnimon, jumjums and eggs." She told Pepin.
    "Miss. Cragmure, I'm supposed to be protecting you, not-"
    Ratatoska frowned at him. Pepin conceded and headed down to the cellar. Half an hour later, Ratatoska and Pepin were covered in flour, smooshed jumjum and the kitchen was a mess. Pepin sat on a flour sack in the corner while the Ratonga examined the muffins. Half the muffins had been filled too much, making the batter spread out over the rest of the pan and leaving them uncooked in the center, and the other half hadn't been filled enough, burning the small ones in the bottom. Ratatoska's stare went from the muffins to herself.
    "I's will be right back." Pepin stood up and went to follow her. She turned around. "Where does yous thinks yous is going?"
    "I told you, I'm to protect you. I promised Sir. Cragmure that I wouldn't let you out of my sight."
    "Yous will have to settle for guarding the attic stairs thens. I's is bathing and changing clothes."
    Ratatoska went upstairs to the garden, where Bella had her bedroom, a shrine to Brell Serilis and a hollow stump filled with water that she used as a bathtub.
    Once washed and dried she found one of her sister's pink robes and slipped it on, looking at herself in the mirror. She did rather look like a slightly taller, and darker, version of her sister. Ratatoska took her dark glasses off and placed them on top of Bella's jewelery box. She curtseyed to her reflection without the grace of her sister and played a bit with the flower circlets on the small counter under the dressing room mirror, liking the look of the pink and yellow one. She found an unused box of pale makeup on the counter and used the poof to powder herself, the light dusting making her fur a pale tan. Now she really looked like Bella. She returned downstairs to find Pepin at Bella's desk, flipping through a book of riddles. Pepin, still covered in flour and pink jumjum followed the Ratonga back downstairs where she flipped the 'Closed' sign to 'Open'. Pepin sighed.
    "It'd be safer if we didn't let people in while your sister was out."
    Ratatoska giggled. "Calls me Bella, I's wants to see how many peoples notice the difference."
    Pepin rolled his eyes as Ratatoska/Bella went behind the counter where the cashbox sat to wait for customers. Pepin took the seat closest to the counter.
    ~*~
    Hoddmimir swayed on his stool and held up a coin before his orange and now reddened eyes. "By the Prince, am I that drunk already?" He muttered, staring at the yellow coin.
    The Barkeep looked up from drying a wooden stein. "Better watch out, Sholt likes to sing when he gets well into his cups."
    The Necromancer looked up from counting out the white coins. "You keep out of this. I'd make you into a replacement for him," Hoddmimir tilted his head towards his still meandering Froglok Paladin skeleton behind him. "But theres too much fat clinging to your old bones to boil off." He went back to counting. "Ogre fat smells worse than any other kind. Clings to me robes, lingers 'round the house for months. Disgusting."
    Hoddmimir managed to count out twenty five of the proper coins and added them to the pile of gold. "You can keep the gold for my mistake." He flipped the empty stein upside-down to indicate that he didn't want another refil and wondered if he should be breaking his rule about business dealings while so inebriated.
  17. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

As soon as everyone was at the gate Tetri led the way in and through the grave yard. She stopped at another gate this one leading into freeport "This is very important," she began "Once in this gate we will be in freeport..."
    "So you were joking about the sewer." Brienae giggled.
    Tetriemmy laughed "No Cub, let me finish. As soon as you get in there will be a sewer grate in front of you. Don't waste any time. Go into that. Then we will be in the Thieves Way. Our next objective is East Freeport where hopefully we can track Tari." with out waitng for a response she walked through the gate and following her own instructions jumped into the grate just inside.
    Brienae followed landing in the water below with a soft "Eeew" as she was forced to swim in the water that Tetri was standing in. She swam to the edge where there was enough of a ledge for her to stand on.
    ~~~~
    "That's more like it," Tari said as she scooped all the coins into her coin purse. "I'll meet cha here tomorrow. If that don't work tell the keep where I can meetcha. She then looked at the ogre "Or better yet..." she pulled out a wooden coin engraved with a breastplate and a dagger around the edge was printed "Clearshadow Armory" Tari looked into his drunk eyes and hoped he was sober enough to listen "That is a bussiness coin for my other business. Should ya decide to meet somewhere else take that to Salzrissar Ariesez in Neriak. He's a member of my gang and he will see that I get word of where to meet cha." she waited for confirmation that the drunk arasai understood before dashing out the door as she pulled her hood back over her head again only showing her red eyes.
  18. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Charlie stayed in the back and made sure that Bella and Aloysiius made it through the grate, then he hopped down, pulling it shut behind them.
    Bella's delicate nose wrinkled up, her whiskers twitching irratably as she remembered that she was wearing her new robes. Charlie ignored the rancid water seeping over the tops of his paldrons.
    "It's been a while since I was down here." He muttered.
    ~*~
    It wasn't long before the little bell over the door rang and a red-haired woman of human and elfin heiratage entered.
    "Good evening, Bella." The woman said, cheerfully, closing the door behind her. She sniffed. "Did-did you burn something? It smells like my kitchen in here."
    "Er, yis, I's burned some muffins."
    "Oh, so, do you want to hold off on my cooking lessons? We can work on Illusions if you'd rather." She noticed the Squire sitting at the table. "Hello, Pepin."
    Pepin looked away as his cheek flushed red. "G-Good evening, Miss. Redmantle."
    "You can call me Llew, I've told you that before." Llewenayah dropped a bag onto the table and sat down across from him. "Are you alright, Pepin? You look a fright."
    Pepin's face turned a deeper shade of red as he raised a hand and tried to brush the flour from his brown hair, but he only managed to get some of the sticky fruit pulp added to the ear length hair. "I was helping in the kitchen." He muttered.
    Llew smiled and pulled a handkerchief and a flask of water from her pocket. She wet the lace hemmed handkerchief and leaned over the table to wipe his cheek. Pepin reached up and took the wet cloth from her and cleaned the rest of his face, finding some seeds stuck in his short cropped beard.
    Llew smiled. "So, Bella, cooking or Illusions today?"
    ~*~
    Hoddmimir examined the coin, saw two coins, swaying back and forth in front of him and shook his head, depositing it into one of the many pockets of his robes. He paid his tab and hopped down, flying slightly crookedly and headed home, his spirits buoyed by the thought of his books, revenge and a couple steins of Gnomish Spirits. His mood improved and his judgement impaired he begain to sing as he floated through the streets.
    "Froglok soup! Froglok soup!
    Ooey-gooey, chewy, Froglok soup!
    Seared Rat Stew is fine
    and Candied Fae Wings are divine,
    but nothing beats, a heaping scoop
    of good ol' fashioned Froglok Soup!
    Froglok soup! Froglok soup!
    Ooey-gooey, chewy, Froglok soup!"
  19. ARCHIVED-lisemanta Guest

Once everyone was down Tetriemmy led them to the grates leading to the main cities. She waited for everyone to catch up. "Brienae, you're going to have to do something about your hair,"
    Brienae blinked "Why what's wrong with it?" She padded her red bun making sure all of the hairs were in place.
    Tetriemmy sighed "That's the problem Cub, some arasai have your complexion but none keep their hair like that."
    "oh... right," she shuddered as she pulled pins out of the neat bun and shook her head unleashing a wavy purple frosted red curtain down to the middle of her back.
    Tetriemmy nodded "Better. Bella based on how long it's been I would suggest changing your look somehow as I'm sure there are wanted posters with your image." She looked at her own paws and sighed "Due to my upbringing... I can not so easily slip into my ratongan accent. I sometimes slip into when angry.... but over all I can not control it... so I myself will be in diguise when we get up there. As here in Freeport a Ratonga without the accent would be a bit strange."
    "But how will we recognize you if you disguise yourself once you're up there?"
    "You'll recognize me," Tetriemmy smiled just before climbing up into East Freeport. As soon as she was in the alley the leaves swirled around her transforming her into a lioness with the right eye white as though filled with clouds.
    Brienae followed right behind her. She emerged just as the transformation was complete.
    ~~~
    Tari shrugged and headed to the Broken Tail Tavern in East Freeport where a ratonga waited for her
    "You's early. I likes thats. Howevers does you has its?"
    Tari handed him the scroll.
    "Goods.... Goods, this scrolls legends." He clicked his fingers and a dark elf counted out 100 plat.
    "Now where's Bikli?"
    "Caught." Tari lied she really didn't know or care what had happened to the wood elf coercer.
    "Gives Clearshadow half Bikli's share,"
    "Half!" Tari shouted.
    "Or nothings. Yours picks Clearshadow."
    "Half is good,"
    "Smarts Girls."
    The dark elf handed her another fify plat.
    "We'lls be in touch Clearshadow,"
    Tari nodded and flew back to Neriak. She stopped by her inn room and collected Copper and then glided to Salzrissar's lab.
    "I see you're back Lady Tari."
    "Not for long Sal. I've gotta another job. Listen there's an arasai I told im to seek ya out if he wants ta meet somewhere else. Keep an eye out for im. He's got green skin and he has an undead frog with im,"
    "I will keep my eyesss peeled," The iksar promised.
    Tari nodded before heading to the wizard spire. She landed in Antonica moments later and made her way to the down below. Copper followed her with eager enthusiasm. She popped her head out into the sunlight of South Qeynos and after crawling out held the grate open for her comapnion. They hid in the shadows as a guard passed by. Tari sighed as she pulled her hood back to release her hair. "Whaddya think?" she asked the owlbear.
    He just growled.
    The pair glided down the street hiding when Tari saw a guard. They came to the bakery. "Well that was easy," she muttered. Copper wrinkled his nose and roared with anticipation. "Ya can eat after I have what I came for," Tari promised as she walked into the bakery. She had already planned a story which would help her find her target. She watched the half-breed elf and what was clearly not her target discussing something. She held Copper by the scruff of his neck preventing him from charging the pastries in front of him. She hissed to her pet in Thexian "Patience you idiot,"
  20. ARCHIVED-llewenayah Guest

Aloysiius climbed up as Bella pulled out some dark glasses and an old pair of faded brown robes. Illusions were great, but for some things she prefered a non-magic result. More than once one of her spells had failed at an unfortunate moment. She slipped into an alcove and changed, pulling the hood up. Charlemin flipped the visor of his helm down and helped her up, then he followed. Bella eyed Tetri as they emerged.
    "Big kitty." She muttered.
    Charlemin climbed up after and closed the grate. "Bella, your-" He paused and sighed, glancing around. "Yours Personaes."
    Bella looked at Cheddar, who still wore the pink robes. She quickly dismissed the pet and recast the spell. "We's can'ts use our names here, calls me, er... Meary Guld."
    "I'll be Snorri Stirl." Aloysiius said. He looked at Charlemin, who was thinking. Al patted the Ratonga on the shoulder. "You can be Sigemund Santen."
    "Sigemunds, fines."
    "Miss. Guld, I believe this might be a good time to use the scroll that Mr. Mandragore so thoughtfully gave us."
    The Ratonga smiled. "Yous is corrects, Snorris."
    "Scrolls?" Charlemin asked as Bella/Meary dove back into her bag again.
    "We were out because one of her neighbors was casting spells for us to find the scroll. He made us a tracking scroll that should help."
    Bella unrolled the scroll and read the instructions. A quick cast and the scroll becan to crumble away, its purpose done. Bella looked around and saw a glowing yellow line at her feet that twisted and turned out of sight along the street. "I's thinks wes follows this." She said, indicating the line.
    "Follow what?" Aloysiius asked.
    "The line."
    "The spell probably only shows to you since you cast it. We'll have to follow you." Charlemin said.
    "Accent." Aloysiius muttered. Charlemin nodded.
    "Everyones readys thens?" Bella looked around and once everyone had answered she cautiously led them to the street. They followed the whisp and soon came to a tavern. "Is insides theres." She muttered, glancing at the off duty Militiamen lounging around the enterance to the building, each laughing rowdily over a tankard.
    ~*~
    Ratatoska turned to the new customer. "Hellos hellos! Welcomes to Bella's Bakerys! Hows may I's helps yous todays?"
    Llew leaned over to Pepin and whispered quietly. "You should probably go get cleaned up."
    "I promised Sir. Cragmure that I'd keep an eye on his sister."
    Llew rolled her eyes. "He's being an overly protective brother, it'll be fine. We're in the middle of Qeynos, for Tunare's sake. It's not like Nagafin and Mistmore are going to skip in holding hands, for a cupcake. Go clean yourself up."
    Pepin sighed and nodded. He stood, the bench scrapeing against the wooden floorboards and went upstairs to the water stump.