A Druid's Story {Graphic Violence, Some Sexual Content}

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-Ferunnia, Nov 11, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Kaleath Guest

WOW! thank you!! so all I had to do is ask and a few hours later the story was there? :p

that was awesome once again! loved the fight scene really good details I thought I was there.

Well thank you again and I hope you have a really good Christmas!!
  2. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

I've got more of the story outlined, just got back from the holidays and such, I'll be writing more soon.
  3. ARCHIVED-aianye Guest

Okay, I am totally hooked on this amazing story... where's the rest though? I can't be left hanging like this lol. Seriously though, you are an absolutely amazing writer. You should turn this into a book and publish it. Hope to see more soon :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Zeltaria Guest

I know, this is great! I want to read the rest of the story :)
  5. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Chapter 31: Death

Their guide, his steps prodded onwards by Elhonna's scimitar lying against the base of its skull, quickly led them to a massive set of bronze doors inlaid with friezes depicting the Cazic'Thule at his worst. The party experienced a wave of fear that rushed through them at their first sight of the door, but none were weak-willed enough to give into their fear.

"Open it, now," Elhonna commanded the fearful lizardman.

When the lizardman saw the deathly look in her eyes, he began to gibber and plead, "I cannot. Normally it takes the four guards you just killed to move the doors. They just weigh too much. Please, don't kill me; I've led you here, isn't that enough? Can't I just go-" the lizardman's quivering tirade ended with a sharp thunk as Elhonna's sword cleaved it from forehead to breastbone.

"Well, that's one less I have to kill when we leave," she said to the other party members, who simply nodded then turned as she did to look at the door.

"Stand back," Ereviz said to the others, "I've an idea that may work."

As the others retreated a few paces up the stairs a shuddering energy burst from the room on the other side of the door, followed by an eerie silence. Ereviz, howling in anger, brought his warhammer streaking into the middle of one of the doors, and an instant before impact, imbued it with as much of his holy energy as he possibly could.

The god-blessed weapon impacted the evil, magically imbued door with a blinding flash of energy as the two powers fought to cancel one another. Through it all, Ereviz continued his howl, forcing all his energy into the weapon, and his stout dwarven heart, fueled by his belief in Brell and his need to pass the portal, helped the holy weapon win the contest. With a screaming as of lost souls being released from millennia of torment, the door simply shattered, then the shards turned to dust before hitting the floor.

Ereviz slumped to the side, spent, and Noris ran to his side to assist him as Elhonna, Maggie and Fiona stepped into a room of horrors.

"Nooooo!" Fiona screamed, wailing, as she beheld the fully formed Avatar standing over the wretched remains of Loriana. The blood-drenched, robed form of the lizardmen's High Priest stood over the body, holding up its decapitated head, howling gleefully and madly as he pointed his crimson dagger at the approaching heroes.

"Now, your foray into my city ends! Behold, the power of fear given flesh, the Avatar of Cazic'Thule, here to tear you asunder and take your screaming souls to the abyss of the Plane of Fear!"

"Is that so," Elhonna replied. Her voice sounded like a distant version of itself, void of all emotion. "I am going to rip your heart from your still-living body and crush it before your eyes. But before I do that, I must attend to this puppet you've summoned."

She made a small hand gesture, and behind her, Maggie nocked and let fly an arrow in less time than it took the priest's eyes to widen in disbelief at the lack of fear in her voice. As the first arrow impacted the priest's right shoulder, another was streaking towards him. The first impact took him from his feet, and the second impact, in his left shoulder, blasted him backwards. Four more arrows streaked across the room in an instant, and nailed him to the wall behind the altar he had been standing in front of seconds before by his hands and feet.

"Kill her!" the priest screeched, and as the massive statue began to move, Elhonna streaked past it and before the second syllable passed the priests scaly snout, her hand darted into its mouth and ripped its tongue from its mouth.

Lightning traced its way across her eyes as she glared at the figure from inches away, and slowly rising power made her hair begin to stand up away from her body.

"Shut up." She said, then turned to face the awakening Avatar of Fear. "I hope you realize what you've done before I'm finished with you," she said, turning her head slightly to speak over her shoulder. "I would have thought your seeing the last moments of your army commander might have given you a bit of insight into what the differences are between my fully awakened power, and what tiny trickle you managed to steal from my sleeping daughter. Watch, and learn your folly."

A mad hissing from the priest made her turn her head, and as she glanced back, she could see the priest shuddering in what seemed to be laughter. A small frown creased her forehead, then her eyes widened slightly as she felt the Avatar do something she had not been expecting.

The massive creature, now baring its multiple rows of teeth in an atrocious parody of a grin, turned its face toward her then threw its arms wide. All light in the room dimmed to almost nothing, and a heaviness swept over the room, pinning Elhonna in place as its body acted like a much greater conduit of the energy that Drathan's sword had channeled. Pure evil made material gathered in the beast's hand and it shoved this energy directly at Elhonna.

"I'm paying my debt," A calm man's voice said in the instant it took for the energy to travel across the room and in a dark flash of energy, Elhonna saw a man's form intercede between her and the torrent pouring from the Avatar. A second later, the energy let up and a charred husk fell to the ground and burst apart in a wave of ash in front of her. She glanced wildly about the room, and found her fears confirmed at the howling of Fiona, who even now gathered energy with her rage, and the obvious absence of Maggie.

Her own sight went red as rage washed over her; time seemed to stop as her mind flashed through all of her memories of Maggie. How he grinned even on their sad path to the city they now stood in the bowels of, when looking on the few splashes of color in the evil jungle surrounding the place. She had felt a connection with him then, but not taken the time to communicate her feelings then, and now felt a deep sadness that she'd not taken the time to do so. She remembered the fierceness with which he had fought by her side through their every ordeal, never faltering, and always backing her every move, protecting her from afar with his arrows.

A single tear rolled down her cheek, then vaporized as waves of electricity streamed around her body. As Fiona's super-concentrated shard of ice impacted the Avatar's back, Elhonna unleashed a wave of lightning that burst against its chest. The creature went down to one knee, head bowed, then looked up and grinned its evil smile again.

It punched the ground and the room rocked, throwing the gnome from her feet, and taking Elhonna to her hands and knees. As it pulled its hand up, the other hand swept over its shoulder and ripped the huge sword strapped there from its sheath. Spinning on that one knee with a speed belied by its size, it swept the huge sword in an arc toward the fallen gnome, obviously meaning to split her asunder.

The blade was nearly upon her when Ereviz alighted above Fiona, standing firm with his feet on each side of her prone body, his brother's shield held firmly in front of his body. The impact of the two mighty artifacts sounded like a gong inside the huge temple, and waves of energy shook plaster from ceilings and hangings from walls throughout the structure. The dwarf was pushed backwards, his mail encased feet cracked the stone below his feet and dug into it, churning up a pile behind him as he absorbed the blow.

Waves of debilitating energy poured into the Avatar from Noris, who was casting spells with all his fury, trying to rob the mighty being of some portion of its strength. At the same time, he pumped magical strength into Ereviz and Elhonna, hoping against all odds to enable them to send the Avatar back to its home plane.

As Noris' energy was pouring into her, Elhonna was sprinting across the room, both swords brought to bear as she attacked the Avatar on its left flank. Seeming to sense her, the Avatar brought his left arm down and blocked her blows with the huge plates of chitin-looking armor covering the arm. She turned with her deflected blows, then jumped to the side as the hand came down where she had been standing. Running beneath the arm, she stabbed upwards into the creature's ribcage.

An earsplitting howl shook the room as the blades bit home, and the beast started thrashing about madly, finally letting up it's pressure from the sword blow directed at Fiona as it turned towards Elhonna. Bluish-green blood oozed slowly from the pair of wounds, and smoke still rose from its chest where the lightning had contacted it. Large patches of the scales on its back had frozen solid and some were flaking away, leaving raw pink flesh behind.

It turned its malignant gaze on the half-elf, then again spread its arms wide, gathering to itself the unholy energy allowing it to obliterate its foes.

Elhonna smiled defiantly, and stood her ground. Her aura of nature came into existence around her, flicking dim green. As the creature brought its hand down to point at her, the deep rumbles from outside the temple stopped for a moment, then there was a loud thud as every animated tree fell over lifeless at once.

Her energy shield flashed blinding emerald at the same moment as the dark wave of energy poured over her. For a moment lasting an eternity, the titanic energies clashed, then they dissipated as one, leaving Elhonna standing in a cloud of steam. The remainder of the party fearing the worst, were shocked to see her walk from the mist. She seemed to be bleeding from every pore, and her dark skin gleamed dark crimson in the fitful light of the room. Her face still held her mad grin, so her teeth looked like a stark slash of white across her red face. Her eyes opened as she took another step, and it seemed all the storms in the world flashed inside them for a moment.

She turned her head slightly and looked at the party. "Get out, hurry, I can't hold it much longer, and when I let go, if you are in here with me, you will die."

Ereviz, Fiona and Noris looked at each other for a moment, and then Ereviz shouted to gain the creature's attention as Noris sprinted over to the altar to gather the girl's broken body and severed head. Elhonna crashed into the side of the Avatar, blades cutting bloody ruts in its hide, as Ereviz danced with death in front of the beast, dodging its ponderous but lightning swift blows and swinging his mighty warhammer to connect with its sword arm. His powerful blows cracked bones and blew chunks of meat away from the mighty arm, and a moment later, the huge sword crashed to the ground, cracking the paving stones that made up the floor of the room.

Its free hand swept around and knocked the dwarf backwards toward the doorway, then the Avatar turned its attention to the lightning swift form of the half-elf turning its back and sides to ribbons.

Ereviz rolled with the blow and dashed from the room moments after Noris and Fiona passed through the shattered portal. Behind him he heard Elhonna scream in anger as she again threw herself into the fight with the Avatar. She can do it, I believe in her, he thought to himself as he ran through the door. He knew in his heart that the party's presence at this point would only be a hindrance, and so he led the group back to the door leading into the temple to hold the enemies at bay while Elhonna did her part.
  6. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

How's that? Saw that message and it made me wanna pump out another chapter. "

Enjoy the read.

Edit: Heh, and another comment while I was writing the chapter. I appreciate it guys.
  7. ARCHIVED-niko_teen Guest

sweet thanks for the new post. It's good to see that you and Ekuthh are still hammering away and keeping the lurkers posting.
  8. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Aye, I'm trying. Just hard to post here lately. Been playing in game a lot, so not much time for story writing :p
  9. ARCHIVED-Kaleath Guest

Yet again an absolutely awesome chapter, I'm sad her daughter had to die tho I saw it coming and she needed it, me thinks, to release her full power. this is the type of story one never wants to see end :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Jakimo Guest

Another great post, I am truly enjoying this story, thanks
  11. ARCHIVED-Destructor646 Guest

Consider this one heck of a bump (assuming you're still around).

I just finished reading the story from its impressive start to its fantastic near finish, hoping that this story was one of those that was actually finished. I was sad to see that it wasn't.

Any chance you'll finish this awesome tale of yours? Or have you gone onto things like writing professionally? Either way, this is an excellent story that everybody should read.
  12. ARCHIVED-LFM Guest

Ferunnia, 1 word....... Publish.
  13. ARCHIVED-Nebbeny Guest

Just read the story from start to finish, Simply amazing! Been ages since i visited the traveler's tales forum, caught my eye because it having druid in the title :) which just so happens to be my favourite type of character. Very enjoyable read, it's a shame to see it's not ended, though it seems to only need 1 or 2 more chapters! Hope your still out there writing, and possibly thinking about finishing this fantastic piece of art.
  14. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Finally got mah dang internet and got mah account back. Been a while. I do have one chapter almost done, which I'll probably post tonight. Chapter Posted. Enjoy.
  15. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Chapter 32: A Moment In Time

Blood thundered in her ears as Elhonna sidestepped an arcing swing by the Avatar. As its fist pulverized the flagstone floor where she had been standing, she spun around behind the creature and dropped low, dodging the blow that came from nowhere to shatter the air above her head. Both of her swords flashed up as she cart-wheeled back the way she had come from. She drew blood along its arm that dripped smoking to the floor, and its outline wavered ever so slightly, as it struggled to maintain its form through her unrelenting barrage.
    The Avatar released an earsplitting roar and thrust one hand into the air, summoning pure evil from the city around it. A shrieking wind tore through the room, nearly knocking Elhonna over, then the air thickened and turned pitch black from one moment to the next.
    "I can see you, little druid," the Avatar said. It let out a blood-chilling chuckle and she heard its feet shift as it swung its arm at her.
    She crossed her blades in front of her as she felt the disturbances in the air denoting the origin of the Avatar's swing. Half a heartbeat later, her swords took a blow that would have stopped a charging elephant in its tracks. The ground buckled beneath her as she took the blow, and she thrust both her blades upward, redirecting the punch. She rolled to her right as the Avatar's other fist barreled in to crush her. As she tumbled then rolled to her feet, one of the Avatar's legs caught her in the midsection, blasting the breath from her body and launching her across the room. She braced herself, fully expecting to be smashed into a wall, and was surprised when she hit something soft.
    Dual crunches sounded to her ears - her shoulder dislocating and the snapping of the High Priest's bones as her body shattered every bone in his torso. Something warm and lumpy rained down over her, and she realized dully that it was the High Priests insides being pushed from his mouth. She staggered to her feet, and mentally dulled herself to the pain.
    A brief flicker limned the darkess surrounding her as she unconsciously sent a healing spell racing through her body. As her shoulder bones slid back into place and her muscles re-knit themselves, she gestured and sent lightning arcing through the room. The deep darkness receded for a moment and she saw the Avatar sprinting towards her, a mad gleam in its cruel eyes and its sword grasped in its freshly healed hand.
    Letting a berserker rage overcome her, Elhonna shoved away from the ruined carcass of the High Priest and met the Avatar in the middle of the room. Sparks like small fireballs flew as their weapons met, time and again. She fueled her rage steadily, pushing her body to new heights, by thinking of Maggie and her daughter, along with all the innocents killed to resurrect the vile creature before her.
    As her anger built, fires spontaneously started around her, from the dead body of the priest, from hangings on the wall, anything that could burn, did. She received small gashes when her blade barely stopped the monstrous blade from bisecting her or shearing off limbs, and as her blood dripped to the ground, small flashes of lightning erupted, until, as the minutes passed and their raging fight continued, the floor seemed to be a carpet of electricity. With each drop of her blood, the darkness the Avatar had summoned was pushed back to the corners of the room.
    Elhonna veritably glowed green, now, as her regeneration abilities coursed through her veins, replacing the blood she lost and closing up wounds as fast as she received them. In a seconds-long lull in the fight, mighty druid and personification of Fear faced each other from as far away as the room's walls would allow.
    The Avatar was a patchwork of deep cuts and stab wounds. One arm seemed to be hanging on only by the skin, but even as she watched, the skin that had disappeared suddenly reappeared, faster than an eye blink. The magic coursed up and down its body, leaving it seemingly untouched in only a couple of seconds.
    The Avatar flicked out its serpent-like tongue and licked blood off its scaly lips, then smiled jaggedly. Elhonna looked at it coldly and flicked drops of blood off her blades that sizzled and sank into the stone floor where they hit. She sent her consciousness racing away from the ziggurat for a moment, searching for Ereviz and the rest of the party, and saw them fighting their way through a horde of huge lizardmen. Scaled heads turned to jelly in the face of Ereviz's assault, one per blow, and Fiona, her face a mask of fury, wiped out lizardmen by the dozen as she lanced out freely with her mighty spells of fire and ice. Elhonna could see that it wasn't going to be enough, though, and brought her consciousness souring back into her body.
    "You see the futility now, do you not, little druid?" the Avatar rasped out with a touch of humor in its voice, having obviously sent out its own awareness to see what she was looking at.
    "Nothing is futile, so long as will exists," she replied, then grinned madly.
    The Avatar only had time to give her a slightly puzzled expression before she raised her swords overhead and summoned a column of fire that radiated from her body and shot straight upwards as it widened. The room became a hell of fire and the Avatar, its skin melting and running like wax, screamed before crashing through a wall and fleeing for the moment. The flames shot up and shattered the ceiling, then smashed into the floor above that, melting rock like ice thrown into a lava flow. The top of the ziggurat blasted apart a moment later, raining down magma and flaming chunks of rock on the masses of lizardmen even then swarming towards the central temple.
    Thousands died in a moment, and Elhonna smiled. For long moments her sanity hung in the balance as she adjusted her body to handling the sheer amount of power coursing through her. A second later, once more in control, she summoned gale force winds beneath her feet and leaped straight up. She nearly flew, her already preternaturally powerful jump augmented by the winds beneath her feet. Every lizardman not killed in the first blast saw her alight on the edge of the broken peak of the temple, then. Moments later, as one, the tens and hundreds of thousands of evil beings rushed the building.
    She held her swords out to either side momentarily, then slashed down towards the approaching beings. The small disturbances her blades cut through the rising sulfur-smelling smoke around the building arced out and grew by uncountable magnitudes, and a split second before the massive blade of wind descended on the first ranks of lizardmen, she laced fire through it. The first dozen ranks of lizardmen fell, then, sheared like a farmer sowing so much wheat, wounds cauterized in an instant, some not even realizing they were in pieces before the light went out of their eyes.
    Half a legion of some of the toughest creatures on the face of Norrath, brushed aside like dust on a cloak. This gave the rest pause for a moment, then they turned as one and sprinted away from her as fast as they could, finally given fear by something besides their own god.
    "You!" the Avatar howled from behind her. She turned to see the creature, once again healed of its wounds, striding around the broken crown of the temple in her direction.
    "You go too far! None may touch my followers in this way! Their fear is mine, mine you hear me? See now, why they fear me!" So saying, the Avatar stopped, a dozen paces from her, and held its arms in the air, and the hundreds of thousands of lizardmen hit their knees or fell on their faces, howling, as the Avatar sent its power coursing through them, showing each their worst fear, which for most was confronting their own god. Every screaming, gibbering lizardman fed the Avatar, their fear giving it power. Turning to face her again, Avatar bellowed then slashed in her direction from a dozen paces away and its power blasted her from the building to land, after tumbling down the many steps, in a broken heap at the foot of the temple.
    Stunned from the power of the blow she had been dealt, it took her a few minutes to summon up her healing powers, and when she stood back up, the sight she beheld broke her mind, her sanity fled, and the barriers in her mind keeping her powers in check for the safety of the world shattered like glass before a battering ram.

Tunare stumbled as the blocks she had placed on Elhonna without her knowing shredded and snapped back to her. No. What has happened? She sent her sight across the planes to behold Norrath and what she beheld brought tears to her eyes and made her knees buckle in fear. Her physical body on the Plane of Growth dissipated in the wind as she teleported straight to Cazic'Thule, precepts be damned.

Moments before, Ereviz and Fiona had been cutting through their enemies, with Noris carrying Loriana's remains and keeping them all healed as much as possible, trying to make clear of the city so Elhonna could finish off the Avatar. They were less than a hundred paces from the city wall when hundreds of lizardmen fell on their position and pressed them from every side.
    Fiona unleashed a wall of fire that swept their enemies back twenty paces, but they soon were approaching again, and the party had only covered a quarter of the distance to the wall. They fought their way through the horde of lizardmen, slowly making their way through to the city wall, but they were becoming bogged down and losing hope. Just then they felt a deep thump then looked back and upwards to see the top of the central ziggurat disappear in a torrent of flame. Most of the lizardmen fighting them turned to look as well and they all witnessed the first wave of lizardmen being bifurcated. Many of the remaining lizardmen in their way ran as well, and they were almost to the wall when they saw the lizardmen in every direction fall down, screaming.
    They looked back again and saw the Avatar swell with evil energy, and the three of them cried out in horror as Elhonna was blasted from the top of the temple. They were still staring, horrorstruck, when the Avatar alighted in front of them, laughing insanely, the air vibrating around it from the teleportation spell that had moved it instantly from the top of the ziggurat to their location.

Her eyes were glued to the wall of the city a good three hundred paces away. With the power of nature coursing through her, the sight came to her as if it stood at nose length. Ereviz, Noris, and Fiona; hanging from ropes attached to something at the top of the wall. Their eyes hung on by the optic nerves, and their skin was peeled away to reveal their musculature. Her daughter's body was still in Noris' arms, literally nailed to him by knives.
    She heard the Avatar faintly speaking to her, seemingly from a great distance, though she knew he was standing only feet away. Mocking words, asking her how she liked their new wall hangings or some such. She had passed beyond comprehension of human thoughts, and death filled her mind. For the first time since being reborn, she could feel currents of nature energy coursing through the very matter around her, and she drew as much as she could from every direction, uncaring of the evil taint on most of it.

Across the face of Norrath, druids of every ilk, from the newest initiate to the mightiest masters of the power of nature, stopped and stood still. Whether in the midst of a raging melee or meditating on mountaintops, one and all turned to face Cazic'Thule. Whether they shook in fear or tilted their heads in confusion, cried in awe or sneered in jealousy, every druid on the face of the planet knew that they were witnessing the possible end of the world.

For over a hundred miles in every direction from the city, the jungle crumbled to ash. Across the planet, silence reigned, as if everything and everyone, druid or not, realized that something calamitous was about to happen. A few seconds later, as minor earthquakes shook every corner of Norrath and a deep rumble shook through the planet's core, it seemed that an apocalypse had begun.

From deep within her litany of overwhelming rage, she felt millions of creatures and plants snuffed out of existence in an eye blink as she drew all they had to give and more.
    Her eyes raged with storms enough to ravage the world, and the air around her vaporized as she centered all the energy. The blood covering her body boiled away as electricity arced its way down her body to trail streamers across the floor. Her skin shone an unearthly blue as she looked over at the Avatar, who reeled back in uncertainty.
    Time seemed to stop as her natural speed was boosted beyond comprehension by her influx of power. She pulled her swords down to her side, and then lashed out, eviscerating the Avatar's midsection. She knew it would not be enough, though, and as her blades passed one final time through its flesh, she simply released her hold on the power raging through her.
    Her lips parted as she uttered one word, "Die."
    The Avatar's eyes didn't even have time to widen before a thousand lightning bolts tore through its body at once.
    Fist-sized chunks of meat blew away with each blast, and the Avatar was reduced to a bloody mist in an instant. Elhonna swirled the lightning about her body, fully in control of her staggering power. Her feet rose from the ground and she hovered there, surrounded by an ever widening sphere of pure destruction that tore apart everything in its path. Within seconds the sphere had annihilated the central ziggurat, leaving a crater hundreds of paces in depth.
    She felt the evil citizens of the city dying by the thousands, and felt nothing. She drew the power back into her one last time, compressing it until it could not sustain its form and it exploded, ripping through the city as an earthquake that shook half the continent. Buildings crumbled to dust, crushing those inside and grinding them to a pulp. She released her power for a full ten seconds before cutting off the stream of power and slowly hovering to the ground.
    She staggered as her feet came to rest on the broken earth. Blood leaked slowly from her pores, once again staining her dark skin crimson. Sanity slowly returned as pain filled her awareness. During her rage, a thought had come to her, almost as from outside her mind, and it had brought calm. Calm enough not to destroy the world, anyways. She looked down, and thought wryly, I guess mortal bodies aren't meant to channel that much energy. Most of what she saw seemed a blur, except for that on the edge of her vision. She shook her head to clear her vision, and the resulting pain that lanced through her head made her check her movement.
    Then, she fell flat onto her face and passed out there, on the blasted landscape of what was once one of the most powerful bastions of evil in the world of Norrath.
  16. ARCHIVED-niko_teen Guest

/happy dance
    yea yea yea.. but i forgot what was going on already..... AHHH i have to re-read.... or is that a yea because i get to read everything all over again as a new story? hmmmmmm
    Reguardless I'm happy to see a new post
  17. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

So, are none of my old readers still out there? Just curious, since I normally get more than one reply :p
  18. ARCHIVED-niko_teen Guest

it has been over a year since ekuth has been to the forums and even though Val is around but does make a whole lot of comments that I have seen. I still keep in contact with Shado, Arienh, Keera, Yams and a few others from time to time but a lot of the old lurkers still don't make it around as much.
  19. ARCHIVED-Ferunnia Guest

Well, I've thought about finishing this, but am unsure of interest, you guys lemme know if you want me to or not.
  20. ARCHIVED-Kith Guest

Ferunnia wrote:
    I've only recently started reading and got up to chapter 18 so far, but i'm well and truely hooked and from what i've seen so far i'd hate to not find out how everything ends up once I catch up to the current end chapter. So definite interest from me :>