a burnt key

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Adevil, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Adevil Well-Known Member

Anyone find anything on what a burnt key is for? Not very common, and no one on IoR seems to have found one yet.
  2. Luhai Active Member

I got one 2 days ago, while running through Twark, and I'm stuck as well.
    So far I've tried every NPC in OF, Maldura, Outer Maldura, Thurgadin Harbour and Thurgadin City, Gnomeland Security HQ, The Order of Flame in Lavastorm (because "burnt" :p), but no luck yet. Not even Nathan Ironforge or that unlucky treasure hunter in Cardin's Ward would help me with the key.

Someone mentioned a newly discovered portal in Fens (the mountains right north of the zone-in) might be related to the key, but I couldn't see the portal. So either it has despawned,moved to another location, or it probably has nothing to do with the burnt key at all.
  3. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Sootfoots in Lavastorm? Or in the Temple of Solusek Ro or Solusek's Eye? Maybe Nagafen wants it?
  4. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

This may be way off, but long ago keys like that opened a door under griffin towers and behind the lighthouse in Antonia.
  5. Adevil Well-Known Member

Around the same time as the keys were found people started seeing odd portals in Kunark. I found one on Race to Trak yesterday. A portal the colour of flames beside the path partway up to Bathezid Watch in the Fens of Nathsar.
  6. Leiff New Member

Confirmed that players with 'a burnt key' can click on the portals. They get a progress bar like you get when harvesting a shiny but nothing after that. I have found portals in 3 different zones so far. Fens, KP and JW. Someone with a key figure out this mystery please.
  7. Udonn Active Member

Leiff, do you have one? My monk alt got one today. If you can click the portals, and it shows a progress bar, but nothing after that, it's entirely possible it's bugged, and the actual result, whatever it is, is not working. I'd hate to spend much time looking after seeing your post because I'd hate to do all that for nothing, when it's bugged. Where did you find the portals in those zones?
  8. Leiff New Member

The portals seem to spawn in different locations and move around. I'll hit you up in game, Udonn.
  9. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Where does the key come from anyway? Random drop?
  10. Udonn Active Member

Ok, I had a key on my alt. Found an NPC with a feather over their head on the trail to Bethezid's Watch. Go through the dialogue and got a quest for The Burned Woods. Had to go find the portal as NPC said it wasn't there anymore and that it moves. I found it on top of the yahlei area nearby. Heroics and Epics, but you get a buff. Heroics dropping chests for 9-14pp, and the 4 and then 1 nameds all dropped discos. You can see the discos on Lymber on Maj'Dul. Looks like smart loot.

Oh, except for a bug on the Ethereal forearms. They said they were plate, but were equip able. DEV
    wiouxev2, Scrappyz, Juraiya and 2 others like this.
  11. Luhai Active Member

Thanks for the update. I just found the NPC. Mujahid Mukhtaar is his name, and he gives you the quest "Into the woods".
    My portal was in Fens, on the small island right west to the bell zone-in.
  12. Odur27 Member

Wondering if like the Duck zone he only offers the quest at certain times of the day or something. Or maybe the Portal has to be in zone? I.e. New NPC in each zone and you gotta find that NPC and get the quest and complete it while the Portal is in that zone? If the second part is true (Unique NPC per Zone with Portal) Let's Start a List and get confirmations with Locs and exact timestamps of portal sightings. I was able to reliably spawn the Duck Portal when I started tracking each spawn time. If there is a pattern to where the portals will be at specific times, we can use that info to get consistent farms.
  13. Udonn Active Member

You won't be able to farm this, unless you keep doing key quests and get the rare burnt key along with the usual ones.

The NPC was on the trai0 going up to Bethezid's Watchl. There was no portal. He said it moves randomly during his dialogue, and once I got the quest from him, I flew over the yahlei and the portal was there.

I don't think you can even see him unless you have a key, or at least you can't get the quest without the key.
  14. semisus Does not play this game

so you get this key from opening keys from key quests?
  15. Scale New Member

i got mine after killing a Kly lookout during my key quest. still looking for the portal, please post confirmed locs seen.
  16. Odur27 Member

Can we get a Confirm if it's an additional Reward along with the Normal Keys or from a opening a Key? I.e. if you open a Broker bought key do you have a chance or only if you do the quest?
  17. DivineShade New Member

I can confirm the key drop was from one of the Kly during a key wuest. The npc to start the quest is on the road to Bathizid Watch, and the portal to zone seems pretty constant in Fens. I always see it on top of one of the water temple structures in the Lake of Ill Omen.

I'm just wanting some strategy on Ixiblat Fer, because no matter how hard I try to burn him to the ground, his HP doesn't move from 93%. Anyone kill him?
  18. Talltails New Member

I got my key flying over a lavapit. Didn't kill anything. It just appeared in my inventory as I left Crusader's Cave. Found the quest NPC on the trail to Bathezid's but have not found a portal yet.
  19. Odur27 Member

Simply just being in OF at the right time nets these keys then?? o_O
  20. Adevil Well-Known Member

The keys seem to be associated with a server message. Not sure if it's only seen in OF or if it's server wide, but apparently the keys only pop for folk who are in OF. At least that's the gist of what I've been able to figure out from Discord.

"The smell of burning embers appears to be coming from Obulus Frontier"