A brand new website with an all new players section!

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Lempo, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

This line from SJ's producers letter, linked below.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...=509054#5655208

I have not even saw a thread that touched on this, and exactly what it means. Maybe SJ will notice this and shed some light on it.
    They have done some work on web services which provide external access to internal data recently, the server status thing being one of them, while it still doesn't appear to be accurate overall it does allow fan sites the ability to query this data and provide and skin the results in whatever format they desire.
    I had a PM contact with a dev about the data feeds that they were working on setting up for character/guild/item data and he couldn't/wouldn't go into much detail but assured me that it was not vaporware and was in the works.
    Amidst all of the hoopla surrounding the F2P conversion this blurb in there appears to have gone unnoticed, or perhaps I missed the thread where it was discussed, but it sounds like this might be a (long awaited) return of a (hopefully) functional EQ2 player site.
    The problem is in the delivery, it is unclear if "All of this" refers to the previous stuff mentioned, and the "and more" refers to what I quoted above.
    SJ you have done pretty well in responding to and rapidly getting answers to the questions and concerns on the F2P conversion, items, char slots etc. can you please clarify this? Are we finally going to have EQ2 players back?
  2. ARCHIVED-agentsix Guest

IIRC, Smokejumper said during the F2P webcast that this is under work and Feldon of EQ2Wire has been testing it.

SmokeJumper: I can say this. We’re completely overhauling the EverQuest2 site. We intend for the EQ2Players stuff to be part of that relaunch. It’s going to boil down to whether or not it’s solid enough as to whether it shows up on that day or not. Work is actively going on on it, and I know NOBODY out there believes us! It’s actively being worked on. I’ve seen it in progress. It’s a big improvement. But I’m not exactly sure what date it’s going to be launched.
    Brasse: The sarcastic among them would say anything would be a big improvement, but it really is, I mean it’s… I think you’re going to be pleased and surprised.
    SmokeJumper: I like the DC website quite a bit, the one that they revamped for the relaunch. Ours will be similar in content.
    Brasse: I think Feldon is probably also specifically talking about the EQ2Players character data.
    SmokeJumper: SmokeJumper: Oh yeah, well he knows. *chuckle* Cause he’s starting to tinker with it. Yeah the data will be really solid.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Thanks Shouter that sheds a little light on it.
    Doesn't sound like this is getting much external testing if it is limited to Feldon, no offense intended there I visit EQ2Wire almost daily, it is a great site and Feldon has never really appeared to cut SOE any slack (I think it may have even been at some 'expense' to his contact/interactions with them).
    There needs to be some more open testing of this, I was drooling over the fact that the were going to expose some of the data from eq2 players through web services and allow 3rd party access to it. I have been doing that type of work for many years on both sides of the fence, I PM'd the dev I had originally expressed interest for an update ~30 days after my initial contact, then once again 2 weeks later and have not received so much as a reply. Call me pessimistic but based on historical actions from SOE, I expect this to be a bland offering that does not work that well at all, especially if the testing has been limited to a single external party. That said if Feldon and DethDlr do implement something I will likely use that over whatever SOE offers up.
  4. ARCHIVED-Sty Frost Guest

a day YEAR late and a dollar to much. on the 15th Star Wars early access opens. EQ2 will have hallow servers.
    as well as hear and reading that web site will be fixed. it been said many time in the past with nothing ever happening.
    Ahh but smokie did give us a time around launch.. if there are not bugs. left that loophold. so then again it my be a month after or even a month after that one, or it could drag out until eqnext.
    I have to say i am more a fan of sword and sorcery than light saber and the force.
    but think I am a bigger fan of a game that is solid.
    thanks soe for the last 7 yrs. sorry to say I will probley not be going to eq next.
  5. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    How did I miss this thread?
    Ok, I have not seen the new EQ2Players site. But from what I have heard from all parties involved, it's very good. The important part is, it runs on a totally new back end coming from a dedicated Database Server designed and setup by Zoltaroth. This is the same database server that fan sites/third parties are going to get access to.
    I don't know how much I'm allowed to say here but I'll give it a go. Yes, Dethdlr and I have been doing early testing on the data that's available and making sure it has all the fields it should. After seeing EQ2Players broken for so long, it's refreshing to be able to pull my characters, alts, my guild, and our items and the data is 100% accurate, up-to-date, and formatted in a way (XML or JSON) that can be easily parsed. I don't know what feature set it will go live with, but one thing I can say is, the team knows how important privacy is.
    If I am able to say anymore, I'll let you know.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mistymorn Guest

This is really great to hear. I am one of the old players here who paid for a broken eq2 players . So a broken free one was an improvement, lol. The thought of a workling one is one more surprise in my holiday stocking. I know this has been an extremely busy time and a hectic year for everyone at Soe, I appreciate what keeps coming out for our benefit. So call me a fanboy if you want to, guess i am. I love eq and my friends here and know if it wasnt for the employees, volunteers and my $14.99 a month I would be missing out on tons of fun and friendships.
  7. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

8. ARCHIVED-EQ2Playa432 Guest

Hope it launches tomorrow!
  9. ARCHIVED-VikodiN Guest

I'll enjoy the website when it launches.
  10. ARCHIVED-Analiyah Guest

How do I register for the new site?
  11. ARCHIVED-gourdon Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Feldon,
    Are discoveries since December 2010, since the current server stopped adding new items, included?
  12. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

gourdon wrote:
    (checking...)
    Yes.
  13. ARCHIVED-KindredHeart Guest

The privacy thing has always staggered me. Privacy of RL information sure, privacy of game information though? We live in a socially networked world, and I can't even count how many times I've heard the argument that the thing that keeps players around is relationships with other players. So why inhibit that and make it harder for people to find and reach out to one another. Sure, if I add someone to my ignore list in game - good block all their access to my information (in game and on website). But otherwise it should be open and available.
    If I have a jerk stalking me in game, I'd like the ability to avoid that person completely as opposed to them having the ability to sneak up on me with a never ending number of new alts or renamed toons. I can't do anything to protect myself from their onslaught when SOE makes it so easy for people to hide. It also removes all accountability for reputation. If you know that how you behave and treat others could have consequence you might see fewer really seriously annoying players. If everyone could see for all time the account players are linked to (regardless of name or server changes) ... I think you'd see fewer rude and completely obnoxious people in game.
  14. ARCHIVED-ZeroByte Guest

Sty Frost wrote:
    You're assuming that everyone likes Star Wars. Most of my friends in eq2 and other games are passing on the SW hype.
  15. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Vallar@Guk wrote:
    They want to make sure Privacy is 100% as it's important to many folks. Also it's a requirement of some guilds during the application process. A big part of this is being able to select in-game, to appear or not appear on EQ2Players.
    It sounds like what you really need is the ability to Ignore an Account. You wouldn't see all their character names, but it would block all their messages.
  16. ARCHIVED-Catria Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Feldon - Can you please check into whether rankings for item discoveries, quests completed and such can be preserved with a server merge? Hubby and I are facing losing five years worth of work spent getting to where we are with the Bazaar/Freeport merger.
  17. ARCHIVED-gourdon Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Late response on my part, but you rock. Thanks.
  18. ARCHIVED-gourdon Guest

Lyssia@The Bazaar wrote:
    The only test I can think of for this is to look at someone that was on Unrest, which is notable for its merge problems. I think this might not be easy for him to do though.
  19. ARCHIVED-Sedory Guest

As a professional web dev, backend server dev, and manager of my guild website, this has such great potential!
    @Feldon - some basic questions if you don't mind..
    First, you mentioned fan sites/3rd parties would gain access to the data pulling features. Is this limited to only certain sites/parties or will we be able to use this data for guild websites as well?
    Second, what data is available? Calander? Guild Bank? Current guild members online?
    Third, do you know if there any thoughts on allowing for updates (calander/motd/recruiting msg/guild points/etc, via authentication of course)?
    Thanks,
    Sedory/Dedith
  20. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

gourdon,

I really think the Item Discovery problems on the current EQ2Players site come down to a display bug and/or their parsed/cached data got fouled up during the merges.

You can PM me a few character names and what result I *should* be seeing so I can check it if you want.

Sedory,

Ah some great questions. Some of what you're asking for is either real-time information, or being able to "control" the game from a 3rd party site. I don't think we'll see anything like that any time soon, but I could be wrong. People have been asking for the old EQ2Players functionality, and in that vein, I think people are going to be happy. Sorry to be cryptic.