32bit game memory usage explained

Discussion in 'Performance Support' started by ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

Kwibble wrote:
    If you have 4Gb you shouldn't be running a 32bit operating system. The switch outlined here is NOT for a 32bit operating system.
  2. ARCHIVED-Kwibble Guest

deadcrickets2 wrote:
    Thanks, and noted. If I could rephrase - anyone still able to run with a 2Gb Win XP SP3 system w/ 1 Gb graphics card?
  3. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

Kwibble wrote:
    That's not really recommended either. Once as you hit 1Gb of VRAM on your video card it becomes a major hindrance to performance as the memory is duplicated into system memory. Your 2Gb of system RAM is essentially 1Gb with that card.
  4. ARCHIVED-mopeygothic Guest

running server 2008 r2 64bit, is there any process limitation for everquest2.exe that can be modified?

i don't mind that eq2 uses all my 16gb of ram or even 32gb when i upgrade to what was supposed to be a ramdisk for eq2 only
  5. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

Jacquotte@Nagafen wrote:
    The limit is set by what kind of application it is. The game is fairly much a DirectX 9.0c 32bit client. So it includes all the limitations that come with it. 2Gb being the default for 32bit applications they code expecting that and Windows expects that which is why it crashes due to memory space corruptions, overwrites, and clashes when it exceeds it. The best we can do, currently, is set the operating system to allow it a tiny bit more space to operate in (though the game doesn't technically use it, it does help prevent crashes) and to adjust time slicing from Normal up-to Above Normal, High, or even Real Time (not recommended as Real Time). Affinity can be adjusted though it mostly ignores it.
    If we had a 64bit client option as World of Warcraft now does then it would be able to use however much memory is accessible to the computer. Sadly we don't, yet, have that 64bit client option to be competitive in the future. If a push can be made to have a 64bit client introduced (which wouldn't take long to code at all) we may have this option to allow it to be a sustainable game well into the next decade.
  6. ARCHIVED-DJWolf5 Guest

Deadcrickets2, a great thread here but I am confused. On the first post you explain how to use the switch on a Vista or Windows 7 system and then how to use it on an XP system and then say that it cannot be used on 32 bit computers when XP is a 32bit system only.
    So, I cannot use this switch or this information for my Vista 32 bit system? I have 4 Gigabytes of memory and my system uses 3 and a bit Gigs of that. So that is a definite "NO" to using your fix?
    While I was used to these critical memory errors once every three or four hours of play even on extreme performance, I needed the next graphics setting up to see the harvestables and the quest 'clickies' and so was getting these errors every 2 to 3 hours. However, in the last week something has changed. I get these crashes when I go to my house, when I go to the guild hall, when I zone anywhere and on raids, as other players are dropping from the server like dead flies, I pray with each pull that I won't be the one to get that "Critical Memory" error that now plagues us all.
    They have "fixed" something that wasn't broken and now it is, and this thread is going to see a lot more traffic unfortuantely.
  7. ARCHIVED-deadcrickets2 Guest

DJWolf5 wrote:
    It's not that it can't be used for 32bit but that it's highly not recommended. Too often those on 32bit Windows will attempt to use it when their system is suboptimal; either using less than 4Gb of system RAM or integrated video cards or both. Not only that but the newer video cards have higher amounts of onboard RAM which further eats into available RAM.
  8. ARCHIVED-Velenda Guest

So...I'm going to upgrade my system, completely new, and it's going to have 16 gigs of ram.
    From what I've read here, they still may not be enough to run the game? I'll still get out of memory?
    Does this game run at all now? What configuration can play it?
    I miss Norrath so much.