2nd account buffbot plus merc setup

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by kalidin, Sep 20, 2017.

1. kalidin New Member

Hello! Couple of questions for you vets out there... I just started playing again after a few years with my 11 yr old son. He started a f2p account and rolled an sk. I rolled a warlock on my paid account. I was looking for some opinions on the following plan.

On a second f2p account on the same computer as the warlock I wanted to run a buffbot type char. This will be played passively amd mostly autofollow and auto attack. Which would be better or more well rounded.. A dirge.. Trouby..coercer .. Or illy?

Which merc would you then pick up.. Was thinking stamps the healer merc?

Or... Would it be better to have a healer on the 2nd account and get another merc?

To sum it up... Group would be..

1. Sons SK
    2. My Warlock
    2a. Boxed toon
    3. Mercenary.

What do u guys think?
  2. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

The merc will hurt XP gain. Probably a troub if you stick with merc for buffs, or drop merc and box a healer. or play the healer and box the lock for some added dmg.
  3. kalidin New Member

Thanks! Pretty set on a merc though.. Taking it nice and slow for my son. So go trouby for tge boxed account and a healer merc?
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Mercs haven't affected xp gain for a while.
    santargria and Prissetta like this.
  5. kalidin New Member

Good to know. Any thoughts on which healer merc to go with? And what class woild be better for a boxed "buffbot" type char?
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Test it for yourself, mercs do still take XP from combat.
    Mermut likes this.
  7. Chrome New Member

Imagine you'll be tanking with the Warlock so go with what gives you the best gain. I'd actually say Troub here - they'll have speed buff so your dungeon runs will be a bit quicker on the feet (for areas that don't allow mount obviously). If straight up passive buff bot and a character you're not likely to use later - I'd almost want to say skip it entirely. A Merc is going to destroy any "old" content anyway. You will probably not even get 2 spells off on any fight for a long time.

Another vote for Troub is also once y'all get much further along and want to do that epic 2.0 questline. It's not very alt friendly and you won't want to do the mage grind twice lol (not that scout won't be, but least it's a different grind :p )

Merc wise - do the new summer quest stuff and get that healer . http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_"Travels"_of_Yun_Zi_Timeline if it's limited to lvl 100, then do the quest in Zek (Scourge) and snag that big Ogre. Even at low level, still easily done with a flying mount.

Even if they did take a little xp, the help with killing and overall speed - it'd make up for it.
    Prissetta likes this.
  8. kalidin New Member

Thanks! Curious.. Why would tge warlock be tanking?
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

Orc? Orc?! ORC?!?!?!?!?! Zhugrus is a proud Ogre, not some half-breed orc!
  10. Chrome New Member

squeak!! my bad lol......Zek.....Orc..........Ogre.........whatever! :p

edit: as a Coercer, I always made him a Ratonga anyway!
    santargria, Prissetta and Dude like this.
  11. Chrome New Member

I just figured you were a better player than your son and would be doing more damage. Honestly, your Merc is going to tank regardless ;)

Edit: Merely thinking of leveling. Once you're in some later game stuff and your son starts rocking - then yeah, SK will be tanking (actually it'll still be merc lol......but once you're 100 and get over like, 200ish resolve, that's when you start to surpass the merc)
  12. kalidin New Member

Ah.. Got it. I think I'm going to play down to his level and let him learn to tank though...ill keep the dps down.

We practiced turning mobs on the pull for a while last night. Was a lot of fun.

So.. Dirge on the boxed account and go get zergus as a merc?
    Chrome likes this.
  13. Chrome New Member

Isn't SK mostly spell based though? I wonder if Troub would still be a better route...........decisions decisions right? lol I mean Dirge has the tanky hate stuff, but I'd still be curious. Havn't played SK passed lvl 20ish and even that was 10 years ago so no clue.

Awesome you're teaching your son about pulling/turning. Your 11yr old now knows more than probably 90% others hahaha
    Prissetta likes this.
  14. kalidin New Member

Thanks!

He's a pretty avid gamer. As long as all his HW and chores are done.. We play until bed time. Rather him play this than Xbox with random people.

But anyway.. Going to go with a trouby. Going to get us some flying mounts from the cash shop. Amd made some bags on one of my higher level toons. Should be all good to go.

Any other qol stuff i should to do to make it more enjoyable for him?
  15. kalidin New Member

Gah.. Need a lvl 100 to unlock zhurgus... Next best option?
  16. SynnikuL Active Member

Enjoy every minute of gaming with your son.

I miss it. My daughter and I used to play minecraft almost every night and had all kinds of adventures on survival mode, or creative just building. She's a teenager now and I can't remember the last time we gamed together. :(
    Prissetta likes this.
  17. kalidin New Member

I do enjoy it. I can't keep up with him on FPS type games.. But on MMos I can still show him a thing or too.
    Prissetta likes this.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually, Zhurgus is pure orc.. like all the other orcs in Zek...
  19. Sambril Well-Known Member

At lower levels one of the standard city mercs will do fine. You can trade them in once you reach 100. There are several healer types available. Stamper Jeralf is a ratonga inquisitor in Freeport who I used a lot on my way to 100. He heals, cures and occasionally casts Verdict.

Blurt Grasplung in Gorowyn is an ogre defiler who might work well with a Warlock and Shadowknight combo with his disease damage (I have not used him extensively though). I would probably prefer Dirge over Troub as a buffbot for the same reason, but I could be way off.

Other healers are Keyrin Curetouch woodelf warden in Kelethin, Bdorn Alehammer dwarf templar in Qeynos and Nevis Yewkus in New Halas.

You can also try your luck with the merc crate option instead of the monthly DBC as a subscriber.

Whatever merc you use be sure to train them and equip them with some gear to improve their stats. They can use regular player gear in addition to merc only stuff that becomes available at 100.
  20. Chrome New Member

That's why I originally put Orc - I figured Zek.......must be Orc. WTH @Dude !!