20th Anniversary of 9/11

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Quiarrah, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

It has been 20 years since that tragic day.
    It was also the day that "Counselor Q" was born.

I remember getting on EQ1 (at the time) and alot of the topics of conversation were what had happened and were happening that day.
    I sat myself down in a corner of Felweith Castle between the zones of Gfay and Felweith and I just sat a listened to people pour out their hearts. Some people talked to me in TELLS because they didn't want to make their voices heard in General chat for whatever reason.
    One of our guild members was a paramedic and he was there in the thick of it. His unit was there for Search and Rescue. We found out later that his unit chief had died. Our guild MOTD for the longest time had a memorial for his Chief in remembrance.
    I don't know too many people who actually "played" that day. I think they were all too busy talking and getting counseling for Counselor Q.

It was on that day that "Counselor Q" was born.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  2. Celestia Well-Known Member

RIP to you're friend's chief. I lived in Alaska at the time, so by the time I was getting up for school it had happened just after I started getting dressed. I wasn't even a gamer at the time, and was a sophomore in HS. I remember watching the events that day on the only TV the school had in the history classroom. We didn't have a local TV station or anything, so a lot were listening by radio, it was such a small town.

Hug your loved ones today, guys. You never know what will happen.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

We deliberately didn't turn on the TV last night/yesterday; we had an inkling of what we were gonna see. About the only thing my hubby paid any attention to about it was the CBS Sunday Morning bits from his Facebook page; they were cool.

I still remember that morning; he had to get up way earlier for work than I did, and he came barging into the dark bedroom (he's gotten very good at maneuvering in the dark without waking me up ;->) to let me know that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I grumbled, "Probably some other drunk idiot trying to solo his Cessna for the first time. Hope nobody got hurt. /snore" "Yeah, that's my conclusion."

Back out to the rest of the house to continue getting ready for work while I went back to sleep. Came in not too much later: "A second one just hit the other tower. And not little dorky planes, but big passenger ones. This was deliberate." "Oh [fewmets]..."

Sleep-zoomed out to the living room where the TV was, started watching the endless replay. Like so many others, the first (and for awhile, only) thought in my head was, "This is just some movie crap, they're just advertising some disaster flick. Right? This can't be real..."

Yet, months later in writing class, when one of the older students (community college; you get all sorts :D) wrote some scathing poem about "how dare they do that to US," as if we're the only ones that's ever happened to, or that it's never supposed to happen here, basically, the rest of us somewhat gently pointed out that we're so isolated here, we haven't usually been the victims of crap that others around the world often have to contend with on a regular basis. Usually the worst we have to worry about is a Timothy McVeigh sort. :-/

Frankly, there are times I'm not sure which is worse... :-/

Uwk
    hugs to all