1GB Download Every Week

Discussion in 'Connection Support' started by ARCHIVED-Daysy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

My apologies for making a new thread on this, I can't find the old one.
    Every week after the normal patch/maintenance, there's a 1.1GB download. It was said that it's not "really" a download, but I can't see the difference between that, and something that takes half an hour and uses up between .5GB and 1GB of my monthly ISP allowance.
    How do we get around this?
  2. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

Another week and another 1971MB download. Is there no way to avoid this?
  3. ARCHIVED-Leinna Guest

Most patches are 30-50MB at most. The size you are seeing is not what is downloaded but what is modified (again modified meaning the files already existed they are just changing, its not another 2GB of data stored on the hard drive). SoE patcher was not very clear on this. If you notice when you patch it doesn't take very long to download 2GB
    Next time the game patches, before you close the launcher go into the options of the launcher and there is a status window that shows what was downloaded and patched. At the very bottom of that window you will see a total sized downloaded vs modified and it will be much much less then you think.
  4. ARCHIVED-Charmeine Guest

I had this issue yesterday (patch day). had about 1GB of download. even if it was only "replacing" old files, it still is an 1.5 hr process. what is the reason it occurs for some and not others?
  5. ARCHIVED-Zergosch Guest

Yesterday i got a patch with 2 gb, but i think this are the new zones, they deliver till release to reduce networktraffic when its released.
  6. ARCHIVED-Charmeine Guest

so, been game tonight for about an hour. zoned, stalled out so quit to restart it and now its downloading 375mb of stuff. Checking game installation...
    All files are up to date
    Checking game installation...
    Found 9 file(s) to update.
    Patching paks/Char_pets.vpk
    Patching paks/dpo_housing_adv04.vpk
    Patching paks/Char_monsters5.vpk
    Patching paks/Char_ECA3.vpk
    Patching paks/ShaPal.vpk
    Patching paks/Char_exp04_rhino_mount.vpk
    Replacing app_cache.dat
    Patching manifest
    Patching paks/Char_mounts.vpk

its is 6.30PM PST. there wasnt update when i logged in and now this......... why?
  7. ARCHIVED-TSR-MattG Guest

It sounds like you're suffering from file corruption, either due to a bad hard drive, ram, or possibly antivirus. If you do happen to be running antivirus be sure there are exceptions set for everquest2.exe and launchpad.exe within it to avoid those problems, and you may want to run a check disk utility and possibly a program like Memtest86 to check your ram.
  8. ARCHIVED-Morgania434 Guest

Umm sorry Matt, but everyone i spoke with who got kicked out of game last night came back to that specific patch.

It isn't our computers. It the games patching.

p.s. we all assumed ( bad word, i know ) that the dev's were slowly updating files in prep for GU63 launch.
  9. ARCHIVED-TSR-MattG Guest

OP said this has been happening as a regular occurrence. I'm not ruling out that what you said about last night is true, however it would not explain the reocurrences the OP has referenced.
  10. ARCHIVED-Morgania434 Guest

Sorry Matt, i should have been more specific, I was referring to this : All files are up to date Checking game installation... Found 9 file(s) to update. Patching paks/Char_pets.vpk Patching paks/dpo_housing_adv04.vpk Patching paks/Char_monsters5.vpk Patching paks/Char_ECA3.vpk Patching paks/ShaPal.vpk Patching paks/Char_exp04_rhino_mount.vpk Replacing app_cache.dat Patching manifest Patching paks/Char_mounts.vpk Just one in a series of smaller patches that have been happening for a week? now. Not sure how long. Night before last it was another zones files. Sar i think.
  11. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

Although it's technically possible, I find it highly improbably that my friends and I all have corrupted files that have to be replaced every week. It's bad enough that half our evening's playtime is taken up with this patching but some people also have monthly limits on their downloads, and 4GB a month just on these patches is problematical. If we really had corrupt files, wouldn't that affect us while playing? I even reinstalled completely because it seemed that somehow I'd got infected by the streaming client instead of the normal one, because even after that huge patch, I'm getting the little creature and an amount of MB showing in the corner every time I zone, even when it's into places I've definitely been in the last week. Reinstalling didn't make the big patch or the background downloads go away. If these patches are preloading Update 63, then perhaps the patch notes should say so, instead of leaving us downloading huge amounts when apparently the only change is the stats on a handful of items.
  12. ARCHIVED-CantbeBothered Guest

Another massive update (1424MB) this week. After another one last week. There must be something wrong with our patchers or installs, but it seems pretty common if I ask other players if they had the same.
    Thats fine on my desktop (except I have to wait about 30 mins for the thing to patch before I can actually play, not good if you just have an hour to fill), but it's deadly on my laptop if I am away and on 3G (which is what the laptop is for...)
    Is this working as intended (preloading the GU?) or is something wrong with my setup?
    Quick update - its definatly downloading stuff, network rate about 500KB/sec, been going 10 mins and downloaded 300MB. Seems to be replaceing voice packs?
    Replacing paks/adv04_dun_drgn_temple_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_hub_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_ACC.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/appcache.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv04_dun_bird_cage_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/antonica_epic02_firemyst_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_C1.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv04_rgn_mystic_lake_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_ECA.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_exp03_global_02.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_exp04_burynai.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_exp04_erollisi.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_froglok.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_genie_pet.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_monsters4.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_monsters5.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_Sa.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_Shd_SOGA.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_SOGA.vpk

Replacing paks/spmisc.vpk
    Replacing paks/spmisc2.vpk
    Replacing paks/steppes_epic01_cove_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/runnyeye_advanced_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/rivervale_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/runnyeye_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/steppes_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/tutorial_island02_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/solusekseye_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/varsoon_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/wailingcaves_SG.vpk
    Replacing clientvdl.bvd
    Patching SequenceSound.dll
    Creating UI/Default/images/icons/icon_is113.dds
    Replacing UI/Default/images/icons/icon_is112.dds
    Patching EverQuest2.exe
    Replacing app_cache.dat
    Patching manifest
    Finished downloading 1,462,169,876 bytes in 3,110.108 seconds (470,134 bytes per second)
    Saved 10,668,374 bytes with delta patches

Somethings wrong here...
  13. ARCHIVED-Peogia Guest

Daysy wrote:
    Daysy wrote:
    TSR-MattG wrote:
    NO...
    This is how it has been since we have been forced to use LP4... LP2 never had these issues
    LP2: standard tuesday patches ect a second or so to patch up and launch game
    LP4: mandatory 15-30minutes plus with many launchpad restarts it appears to get stuck patching allot donno why its a clean fresh install nets clear and high speed and high bandwidth loads of resources but the launchpad still stalls and fails to do its job properly in a timely manner and yes it always says every time tuesday ect comes around 2GB or more which is pretty ridicules
  14. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

As generally being the critical one, I have NO problems with LP4, technically, I think it is gawdy I HATE that it closes on it's own but I can live with that.
    I am not seeing downloads of this size, it says it on the main screen but when I view the details it is always signifigantly less by using Delta patches, which SOE has been using for AGES it was only improved to be more tolerant of people that patched infrequently.
  15. ARCHIVED-Nailoo Guest

CantbeBothered wrote:
    Logged in just a few mins ago and got the same thing, 1422 MB update and I'm supposed to raid in 15 minutes.

What is going on with this and why can't anyone tell us what's going on? Most of my guildies and friends had the same huge update last week as well so I highly doubt that it's individual computers that are having problems.

Can you guys please fix this? It's messing with raids and it's just annoying to have unplanned, unannounced, updates happen when you're wanting to play.
  16. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

Another week and another evening written off as all in the guild (different operating systems, different ISPs, different countries) are all sitting downloading more than 1.4GB. Every week it's the same files downloading and installing. Why is this necessary?
  17. ARCHIVED-Telairee Guest

I am having this exact same issue as well, taking hours to get the game going, even getting errors in between the files as well as the large amount it wants to download in the first place (this time it happens to be 1001 mb):

*Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_jarsath_wastes.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 163. Starting over.
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_jarsath_wastes.vpk
    Patching paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk
    *Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 4673. Starting over.
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kunzar_jungle_SG.vpk
    Patching paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk
    *Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 677. Starting over.
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains.vpk
    Patching paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk
    *Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 5406. Starting over.
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp04_rgn_kylong_plains_SG.vpk
    Patching paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk
    *Warning: Patch application failed for paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk due to Bad Algorithm ID: 2214. Starting over.
    *Warning: Retrying paks/exp05_dun_befallen_asylum_SG.vpk
  18. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Telairee wrote:
    This looks very much like you have a memory error or a hard disk that has some bad sectors.
    http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
    download the ISO file for that and burn it to a CD image Windows 7 has this built into the shell, just right click on the file in explorer after downloading it, or if you already have an app that will burn CD images that will work fine. Do not burn the file to the disk, it must be written as a disk image or it will not work. Allow this to run overnight, at least 6-8 hours, most of the time memory erros will cause crashes but they can hide and never be noticed unless you are using something that calculates checksums.
  19. ARCHIVED-Polyneikes Guest

I am getting the same behaviour and its really starting to get annoying. Even the smallest update note means downloading 1gig or more for the past weeks. For reference, this weeks patch starts like this:
    Checking game installation...
    Found 160 file(s) to update.
    Replacing paks/adv04_rgn_mystic_lake_SG.vpk
    Replacing Miles/AudioCapture.flt
    Replacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_hub_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv02_dun_sundered_splitpaw_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv04_rgn_village_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv04_dun_drgn_temple_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv04_dun_bird_cage_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/adv04_dun_endless_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/antonica_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/antonica_epic02_firemyst_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/appcache.vpk
    Replacing paks/befallen_epic01_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/blackburrow_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/cazicthule_SG.vpk
    Replacing paks/Char_ACC.vpk
    Replacing paks/befallen_SG.vpk

It calculated 1.4 gig and it will definitely be downloading that much, so I don't understand how people keep saying that it downloads significantly less.
    [IMG]
  20. ARCHIVED-CantbeBothered Guest

Any update on this? Today my patcher tried to switch me to streaming.... and deleted all the PAKS....
    Now it wants to download 14GB of stuff in the background..... What is going on, something is very very wrong with the patcher.