15" vs 17" monitor layouts?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Mainly just looking for advice, but also help...

I've got a 15" monitor for my desktop, which is old and creaky and Win7 with bare mins for the new 64-bit phoenix that is the game; it's almost a bad thing that the game can now suck up every single last bit of memory I have available. :-/

So, often, I play on my Win10 lappie, which has a 17" monitor (it's a beast, yeah, but it's about the only one left that has an optical drive. If I want to watch movies at 3 am without waking up everyone else in the apartment complex with the volume while I game, I gotta have my DVD bay ;->). The issue is, all the sub-windows and hotbars and other jazz it's taken me months->years to set up nicely on the 15"-er is now all over the damn place on the 17"-er. If all I'm doing is holiday stuff and/or decorating, that's one thing, but if I have to fight... :-/

My question is: if I were to set up all those display elements for the 17"-er, would that mess up my 15" arrangement? There are some things I still prefer, even on the old clunker (the keys on the keyboard; the mouse vs. the touchpad; being able to watch movies on the lappie while gaming [my old clunker doesn't do that very well any more, either :-/], etc.), and I'd like to be able to go back and forth without spending way too long re-fixing everything.

I'd asked on the Chat Channel, and someone said something about saving layouts -- not decorator layouts, so I wasn't sure what was meant, though I have heard something along those lines before. Sadly, something happened to my source of info before they could explain it in more detail; the group they were in got attacked, or they got booted, or got bored with me (though I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one ;->), or something. So, I need info/help. :-/

Uwk
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Your UI files are saved locally on your machine so you can have completely different setups on every machine. If in doubt save your existing UI_settings files into a corner before you start so you can copy them back if you manage to end up worse off after fiddling.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Geroblue like this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have a 40" monitor... but sometimes my desktop icons skitter around the desktop if I change the height of my taskbar.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, go into my game directory and Ctrl+C those elsewhere as a backup just in case? Okay, thanks! :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Brag, brag, brag! :D You game on your TV monitor? 'Cause we have a big flat-screen too (only option by then) that we had to get when our old CRT finally died. :-/

And I think one of my issues is that I probably have too much "widescreen" top and bottom areas on the lappie; I gotta remember how to adjust that... ;->

Think it's something in Alt+O->Advanced...

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have a Highsense 40" tv I use both for tv watching and my computer monitor. One problem I've noticed with this Highsense is... when I turn it on it goes to one of the devices and asks is it on ? Only way I have of getting it to stop doing that is to unplug it from my uninterruptible power supply for 2 minutes then plug it back in. Didn't have to do it for the first 6 months I owned it. Now it looks like I"ll have to keep doing it.

Hopefully they will do an update that fixes my tv.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Eep! :eek: Too many possible complications; it's one reason why we've never bundled anything together (still have all 3 separate; after the AT&T debacle back when we still had DSL, we decided against it). :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, my tv has 3 dvd connectors. Hopefully this 'goes to one before I can select the one I want' goes away.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! :)

Good luck! :D

Uwk
    who can't even re-set the video player clock without the techie hubby (though I can do more complicated things, as long as we still have the manual ;->)... X-P
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Whoops. I mean HDMI connections... I think I need a nap.