101 Int vs +4CB & 3Pot? (Primordials)

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Laiina, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Laiina Well-Known Member

The newish white Primordial adorns are supposedly the "best in slot". But are they really? Has anyone done any actual testing or comparison or worked out the math?

I currently have 2 mages with the Superior white Intelligence adorn in the head slot. I have 2 of the T1 Primordial where I can make http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/1870513696 Primordial Adornment of Power.

I realize that neither adorn is going to be groundbreaking, and in fact would hardly be noticeable on parse with or without one adorn. But I wonder about that "best in slot" idea - is it really?
  2. Mandoblast Active Member

I think it depends on what type of mage you are. I also do not think you can go wrong with either one, but in general look at this post. It details pre-AoM spell formulas and most of it is still valid today.

http://www.eq2flames.com/warlocks/9...2-0-includes-gu66-compatible-spreadsheet.html

I can tell you that 4CB and 3Pot is a bit more valuable to a warlock than 101 INT especially during the FC chain where we get an increase directly related to the amount of CB we have.

In short, I am still working on getting a couple of the primordials but I am not hurting because of having the 101 INT adorn.
    Laiina likes this.
  3. Koko Well-Known Member

Yes.

As others have stated, its a function of your other stats. Feel free to plug your numbers into the advanced calculator yourself to determine your expected gains.
    s7n7a7k7e likes this.
  4. Laiina Well-Known Member

Much of what is on eq2flames will not work for me, says I must login, but will not let me login, and will not let me register for a new account. The site is pretty much gone belly up, it is too bad that there is still some good info there that not everyone can access.

And yes, this is for a warlock http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/863289454135
  5. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

Personally I feel as if the Intel would be better as it does help increase Unda's damage. Although I could be a bit biased due to playing a chanter as my main now and Unda being one of my hardest hitters
  6. Luciuz Active Member

Before I swapped the primordial adornment out my Bloodcoil initially does 42564-43641. After I swapped it out for 101 int adorn it was 42562-43639. I lost a minuscule 2 damage on base damage but then again I lost 4 Crit Bonus, it isn't applied until you do a critical hit so technically what I lost in base damage I gained in critical damage. Since I have 1221 chance to crit, it's safe to say I always crit.

Since (your maximum normal hit+1)+33%+Crit bonus = how much you normally crit for...
    Bloodcoil normal crit is (43641+1)+14401.86+990.6 = 59033.96 with Primordial adornment.
    Bloodcoil normal crit is (43639+1)+14401.2+986.1 = 59027.3 with 101 Int adornment.

That's 6.66 (omg mark of the beast!) difference in damage.

I don't even want to do the math for legendary, fabled, and mythical crits :confused:
    Laiina, Scrappyz and Eles like this.
  7. Eles Well-Known Member

wow, so powerful, many difference, much increase very relevant
  8. Laiina Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing the math on that.

It looks like one of those situations where it IS better, but so marginal that you would never actually notice any difference. Which leads me to think that all the time I spent harvesting the Primordials could have been better spent elsewhere.

With such a marginal difference, and the difficulty of getting the Primordials, I think the devs should take a look at boosting the stats on them. I wonder if the devs actually looked at these while considering that they would be replacing another white adorn, and the effects of losing those.
  9. Skulls Member

Luciuz your math is wrong because you forgot to factor in the most important part of having another 101 INT from the white adorn. Laiina you have a very valid point.

1. For every 100 points of Int you also get another (this is approximate) 2 points of Potency and 2 points of Crit Bonus from your new class prestige tree. When you put 8 points in Pot and Crit bonus with the 1 point under it, read the description it gives you more Pot and CB based on your primary stat. So if your primary stat goes up so does the POT and CB boost.

2. So now factor in your math the additional small boost with the extra INT added to your primary stat giving some more POT and CB and you will see the primordials are really a joke. A bunch of running around harvesting busy work to basically get very little for your effort. Devs wasted code and man hours on another useless thing instead of fixing all class AA trees and broken non working spells and combat arts.
  10. Luciuz Active Member

100 points of int x 0.8% = 0.8 crit bonus and 0.8 potency. Not 2.

You are right though I did my math wrong, what I should have done was calculate the total damage.

The math I did was being used from EQ2's critical formula using the stats I had. All the crit bonus and potency was already factored in because I simply read the stats in my character window.

What you're talking about I assume is the yield of cb and potency from 101 int vs 4cb and 3 pot.
  11. Boli Active Member

FYI Warlock's Base crit Spell bonus is x1.5 not x1.3 :)

I'm unsure on the stat curve but more primary attribute will also increase the base damage of Spells as well but even if an optimistic 100 Primary stat gave ~1% increase to base damage you are looking like 100 Intelligence will net the equivalent of around 2% potency and 0.8% crit bonus... so the Primordial Adornment will win hands down.

This is *much* closer with melee classes as autoattack is such a large portion of DPS and any increase to the base damage is massively multiplied by WDB, MA, Flurry and DPS Mod.

If this was just 4% potency vs 100 primary stat I would say 4% potency > 100 stat bonus for caster classes and 100 primary stat for melee classes.

Since this is 4% Potency 3% Crit bonus (or 3% Pot | 4% CB) The primodial wins hands down and will be roughly 2-3x more effective as an adornment.

ofc - this is perfect to test with the strike of consistency :)