CPU or GPU?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Krizani, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Krizani Active Member

Apologies if this is sort of extraneous to the discussion on hardware upgrades anticipating the DX 11 discussion. That's a long thread and I was worried this would be lost if I tacked it on at the end.

Anyway, I'm looking at several options for a ready-made computer (up till now we've always built our own, but this looks easier at this point) and the trade-off seems to be slightly better CPU and worse graphics card in one and slightly worse CPU and significantly better graphics card in the other. Oh, and both have Win 11 installed.

Edited to add: Both CPUs come in above minimum but certainly not to recommended (and a big thanks to the person who linked to the UserBenchmark site, it's very handy :))

Opinions? TIA!
  2. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hey there Kriz, can you post system specs for the new computer? Or give us a link to what machine exactly you're interested in buying?
  3. Beee Well-Known Member

EQ2 is a CPU depending game and even with DX11 it will stay in the first big step CPU depending.

It seems DX11 makes a bigger FPS output than DX9, but maybe only because it's more eficient on using the resssources ;-)
  4. Krizani Active Member

Oh, these are refurbished computers at a local dealer (not retail in any way) and will likely change before I make a choice. I was looking for some parameters in order to judge what's on offer and how it might suit. I recall reading years ago that CPU is king in choosing a system, but wasn't sure if that was still true since tweaking has happened over the years. It seems that it is. No surprise since the choice 20 years ago didn't anticipate multi-core processors and rewriting the whole engine would be required to change it, seems to me.

Thank you both for the replies!